SASS Wire Forum

fake suppressor for 1911-22

Trigger Mike

If they reduce sound at all, then legally they are a silencer, and you best have it registered. ATF don't play about that. Even to ATTEMPT to quite it, even if it doesn't work, is considered to be making a silencer. Even something as stupid as sticking a potato on the muzzle (which I understand only works on TV and in video games) will get you the ten-year vacation at Club Fed.

Do they help or hurt accuracy? Do they reduce sound at all?

If they are FAKE as the ones I have seen they do NOTHING to the sound except to get it further from your ears....... and make the pistol front heavy. Little to no effect on accuracy. I think SASS rules disallow such external modifications.

Owning myself silencers, legally. They do not help accuracy. In fact many by their size, hide the front sight, also front heavy. They come in all sizes, some more silent, but means more lenght and thickness. They are priced from 299.99 to over 1100.00. Plus you have to fill paper work,fee and get approval. They wear out, and some are almost impossible to clean. They do silence, my .45 suppressor makes it sound like a .22 short, and my .22 sounds like a cap gun. Why would anyone want to by a fake?

MT

Owning myself silencers, legally. They do not help accuracy. In fact many by their size, hide the front sight, also front heavy. They come in all sizes, some more silent, but means more lenght and thickness. They are priced from 299.99 to over 1100.00. Plus you have to fill paper work,fee and get approval. They wear out, and some are almost impossible to clean. They do silence, my .45 suppressor makes it sound like a .22 short, and my .22 sounds like a cap gun. Why would anyone want to by a fake?

MT

Just thinkin out loud kinda. My Sig 1911-22 has a cap you can remove to put a suppressor on and I have seen fake ones being sold on some 1911-22 pistols. thought it might be neat. doubt I ever try for a real one, though it would be nice to have when shooting indoors.

Trigger Mike,

Go on up to Bulls Eye in Lawrenceville and talk to Jeremy. He can fix you up with a real silencer. Take lots of money and be patient. It'll be about 4 months last I heard. They are fun to play with. I'd like to get a .22 suppressor some day. Just another thing on the wish list.

Do they help or hurt accuracy? Do they reduce sound at all?

Here's a couple pics of one of mine on a Walthers, as you can see, it comes close to the front sight and when shooting it does show up in the sight picture. Its not front heavy silencer as some, nor hinder the shooter. Its very light weight, I can't even tell by weight its on. I've shot accurately at 25yd targets with 10s. I have fired it in backyard and it sounds like a cap gun. Spend a little more and fill out an ATF application and you'll enjoy a real suppressor and what it does. I also have a suppressor for a 1911 and AR15. MT

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z72/marshaltroop/SDC11748.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z72/marshaltroop/SDC11753.jpg

Archived