SASS Wire Forum

Verrrry Stupid Questions About BP Reloading

Mean Matt McCord, SASS #24683

Been using a Lee classic turret press to load my BP rounds for years, no complaints. There are times, however, that using the Lee dippers is a pain, timewise. I'm looking for a way to speed up the process with my current equipment, if you will. Which brings me to my set of stupid questions. Have any of you ever tried loading BP through the Lee Auto Disc measure? If not feasible, will any of the commercially available BP powder measures (Lyman, Hornady, etc.) mount onto a Lee turret press? A progressive press is not within my means at this time. Thank you in advance.

Been using a Lee classic turret press to load my BP rounds for years, no complaints. There are times, however, that using the Lee dippers is a pain, timewise. I'm looking for a way to speed up the process with my current equipment, if you will. Which brings me to my set of stupid questions. Have any of you ever tried loading BP through the Lee Auto Disc measure? If not feasible, will any of the commercially available BP powder measures (Lyman, Hornady, etc.) mount onto a Lee turret press? A progressive press is not within my means at this time. Thank you in advance.

Howdy,

Use to do it all the time, but I used the adjustable powder drop they have for it and it worked just fine, now I use my 550.

KK

Not sure which but there was one, either the perfect or their top of the line disc model that worked ok. It was trying to figure out better ways to load bp cartridges that finally give up on a Load Master and get a Hornady. With the LNL AP the whole process can be fully automatic except for bullet feed and figuring out how to feed a filler. I am yet to find an automatic powder feed that will not gum down on grits dust really fast. I am currently experimenting with a Lee Perfect powder measure but have not figured how to stake down the auto feed part yet.

Matt, My main loading for my 44-40's is on my Dillon but I do also load on a Lee Classic Turret.It is the one made out of iron and has a 4 hole top for dies. If that is the one then I can help you out. It takes the use of a RCBS powder measure and a adapter and die purchased from Dillon. Go on line to Dillon and look for the 450 powder die.They require a insert which bells the case mouth at the same time. You will have to tell them what caliber to get the correct one. The last thing needed is the powder measure adapter which allows you to use any measure that has the 7/8x14 die threads. I had to swap the handle to the other screw holes to put it on top so that it would clear the primer arm. It is a manual set up but works fast and is very easy to use. I have a friend who owns nothing but the Lee measure and he double stacks his bushings and loads his 44-40's. So pick your poison.The Dillon parts cost about $45 but will work on any press. If you purchase another press it will still transfer

go to lee factory sales

starblu.gifDouble Disk Kit

2310.jpg

This is a picture of the disks</STRONG>

This kit raises the hopper so you can stack two disks. This not only doubles the capacity of the disks but it makes very fine adjustments possible. Most powders can be adjusted up or down .1 grain with different combinations of disks. Complete listing of combinations, 4 extra disks, screws and risers are included.

Lee Double Disk Kitwl.gif90195wl.gif14.98 10.98

Use the Lee Auto Disc all the time. The easiest way to do big loads of black is to find a hole that will drop half the load and simply hit it twice.

The Lee Auto Disc works great, use the double disk kit for 44/40. I now use a Hornady L-N-L progressive, but still use my Lee Classic Turret to work up loads. Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

How are you pards getting the Lee AutoDisk to work reliably with large grain powder (FFg)? Mine, even after replacing the elastomeric wipers, still gets powder stuck around the outside of the lifter tube, which means the return chain cannot reliably pull the hopper back down to the starting position, meaning I get partial drops or no drops from the bugger.

Almost at the point of punting that AutoDisk and putting a powder-thru die and a Lyman 55 BP, hand tripped, on my Dillon 550 for the caliber that is giving me fits.

Thanks, GJ

Use the Lee Auto Disc all the time. The easiest way to do big loads of black is to find a hole that will drop half the load and simply hit it twice.

Exactly what I do, and it works like a charm.

For my BP loading, I also use a Lee classic 4 hole turret press. For the powder stage I use the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Update Kit with the Double Disk Kit. To that I have attached the Auto Disk Riser and Swival Adapter. I've been loading .45, .38-40 and .38S&W BP through my plastic Lee Powder measure for several years now. NO problems.

I use Lee single-stage equipment to load smokeless and BP-subs. The charging part takes about 2-3 minutes for fifty rounds with a laoding tray and funnel. There is no difference in the time required for smokeless or BP-subs for this step.

My only issues is that .45 Cowboy Specials and .38 WCF do not work very well with my trays and funnels.

This is the quickest part of loading.

When I did it with a LEE turret, single stage style, I'd size and decap a big plastic bowl of cases, then prime em off the press with an auto prime, then expand a whole bunch, (cool whip bowl full), leaving the cases ready for final loading.

I used a LEE perfect mounted next to the press to drop powder (works fine, faster than any dipper), shove the charged case into the press, seat/crimp a bullet, and drop it into the completed ammo box. I agree the short cases are a pain to get in and out of a wood block with no bullets in em, so I didn't use one.

Archived