SASS Wire Forum

OT: RUH-ROH! This is not a good sign.....

Adirondack Jack, SASS #53440

So, upon hearing that a tornado of some 1/4 to 1/2 mile width passed through an area not far from here where my aunt and uncle live, I tried to get them on the phone with no luck, then decided to try to get TO their house, which is on the far end of a dead-end road. At first, the closest I could get was the town firehouse some 1 1/2 miles away, held back by the national guard. I pulled into the firehouse lot, hoping since my uncle was once fire chief, and was a fireman for 35 years, somebody might know how his place fared.

When I parked my truck, the car next to me gave me a bad feeeling.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/2011-09-05_13-01-47_656.jpg

When they are from the government, they generally are there to help themselves to some free TV time. When they are from congress, lock up yer wallet.....

After mis-identifying myself as a resident, the national guard let me enter the area. The van did remarkably well driving over some downed trees and passed the power company truck slalom nicely. Eventually I got to my uncle's house. His house is basically OK. minor damage, broken glass, but 40 years of trees are all either gone or gotta come down. Such a shame.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/adirondack_jack/2011-09-05_13-37-13_379.jpg

Now we've had a small earthquake, a record flood, and a big (I mean BIG for NY) tornado in 10 days......

... and don't NEVER try 'an get between an elected official and a camera crew! If you think mamma grizzly's is terrible, well...

Well, the fire chief played that one smart. I hear he took the TV folks and the congressman to the CEMETARY to see some down trees and overturned headstones. Some "chicago" voters (har!) but they didn't get in the way of any real work going on.

Ain't twisters virtually unheard of in your neck 'o the woods? We're kinda sorta used to 'em down here. Glad everyone's OK, and hope y'all can use the firewood.

We generally get a few reports of rotational clouds, but most don't pan out upon investigation. This one was easy to classify. A "storm chaser" gal with a meteorology degree happeed to be filming the cloud-to-ground lightning and caught the birth of it on video. No long stringy snake, it was a big fat "V" anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide as it crashed along for 15 miles or so. THOSE are real rare here, but when ya consider it passed through an area that a week ago had a record flood that more than doubled the previous water depth records for aa river "locked" in the current lock configuration in 1918, ya really gotta wonder....

Earthquake,flood,tornado, what's next? a swarm of locusts? Glad to hear your folks were ok, I'll see You at heluva rucus

There is a greater Power who just might be sending a message to this Country. ;)

AMEN! B)

Archived