SASS Wire Forum

What is your favorite sandwich?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love cheese frenchie's and remember the King's Food Host. There is some sandwich places in the malls around Des Moines that make cheese frenchies.

We make them at home.

slice of cheese on buttered bread (the butter helps seal the cheese in). Then we cut it in quarters. Then dip it in liquid pancake mix. Then roll it in crushed soda crackers and corn meal. Then deep fry it. Yummm!!!

CPK

Oh I will have to try that! and the next time I am near Des Moines I will have to try one! I should be back next summer for my class reunion at the latest!

Meatloaf, mashed potatos and gravy on homebaked bread.

Turkey, applewood bacon, pickles, lettuce, pickle and mayo on a croissant.

Roastbeef and debris poboy from Mothers in Nawlins.

Jeeez Lady, you hit me in the lunch box. I think I will go fix breakfast now.

All three of those sound right good. :)

I have also figured out that Pack Saddle Slim, Shadowcatcher and Whiskey Business knows what a sandwich is all about... Same stands here... we get within proximity of each other and lunch is on me...

Vaya con Dios

Sounds good. I left out one of my favorites. Pulled pork piled high on buttered texas toast with lots of sauce, pickles and a bit of cole slaw from Dave Poe's BBQ.

Whiskey... you grab your better half and I'll bring Ms. Maggie, and we'll have us a lunch sometime that will make you want to slap your grandma...!!!

Vaya con Dios

Meatloaf, mashed potatos and gravy on homebaked bread.

Turkey, applewood bacon, pickles, lettuce, pickle and mayo on a croissant.

Roastbeef and debris poboy from Mothers in Nawlins.

Open faced roast beef with mashed potatos and gravy

I never met a sammich I didn't like.

I feel the same way, Bob. I was gonna describe my fave, but I kept thinkin' of different ways to make it, and just wandered off into sammich heaven. So many choices, so little time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never met a sammich I didn't like.

You're a better man than I am, Bob, because I sure have. :wacko: For example....inch-thick layer of peanut butter (bad peanut butter at that...more like axle grease)spread between two stale slices of Wonderbread. No jam, no honey, no nuthin'. Not even a glass of milk to wash it down!

Another example, green bologna on moldy bread with curdled mayo. When you eat most sandwiches, the stuff in your mouth usually gets smaller as you chew it. Not in this case. For some reason, the more I chewed, the bigger it seemed to get. :blink:

I think Flint and I are going to have to go "sandwiching" some day.

I have two that come to mind:

Corned beef and mustard on rye from the Carnegie Deli in New York. Say what ya' will about New York, but the corned beef at the Carnegie Deli is from another world altogether. And it MUST be the fatty corned beef......

The Lt. Colombo from Colombo's Deli in Pacifica....Genoa salami, pate, teleme cheese, pepperocini, with olive oil and garlic spread on their house made sourdough rolls.

And a beer tops them both off as perfect meals.

EC

You're a better man than I am, Bob, because I sure have. :wacko: For example....inch-thick layer of peanut butter (bad peanut butter at that...more like axle grease)spread between two stale slices of Wonderbread. No jam, no honey, no nuthin'. Not even a glass of milk to wash it down!

Another example, green bologna on moldy bread with curdled mayo. When you eat most sandwiches, the stuff in your mouth usually gets smaller as you chew it. Not in this case. For some reason, the more I chewed, the bigger it seemed to get. :blink:

I think Flint and I are going to have to go "sandwiching" some day.

You lead and I'll follow... I expect at the end of the day, we will have a great time and made some memories for both of us...!!!

Vaya con Dios

Have you ever had a BLAT on fresh soft 8 grain bread? Soo good! With LOTS of lettuce.

Miss Whiskey!! I figured you for a steak 'n' shrimp PO BOY!! :wub::P

Miss Whiskey!! I figured you for a steak 'n' shrimp PO BOY!! :wub::P

It aint a sammich but..................

Deep fat fryed flounder, frys, hushpuppies, deep fryed shrimp, and cole slaw.

And sweet southern iced tea !

Gettin hungery bout now Blackwater ?? Are ya uh ? After dat, will open some Bulliet to wash it all down with ! :lol:;)

'Pache ol' friend, I'm always hungry!! That sounds like what Schoolmarm whipped up last Friday night 'ceptin' fer the shrimp!! She makes her own Tarter and Cocktail sauces and the batterin' was part corn meal and part Masa flour with all sorts of cajun spices. Coleslaw and tater salad and some garlic bread. :P:wub::P:wub:B)

No wonder I'm wide as I am tall!! :lol:

My go too, basic sandwich is a grilled cheese. A touch of mustard on the bread, cheese depends on my mood, as does the bread. Get the pan hot, add some butter or olive oil - or some of each. Plop in the sandwich, cook on med or med-low to a very dark brown, flip, cook the other side the same. Serve with some pickles.

An alternative to that is an open faced broiled cheese sandwich. Lightly toast the bread first. Spread with mayo or mustard or ranch dressing, add some sliced tomato and very thinly sliced onion. A generous amount of black pepper and maybe a touch of salt on that. Top with cheese and pop under the broiler, or into the toaster oven.

I think my emotional favorite is the Day After Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich. White bread, mayo, turkey breast, pepper, lettuce. Serve with radishes, green onions, and olives left over from Thanksgiving dinner. Oh...and some of the dressing on the side. Follow it with a wedge each of mince meat and pumpkin pie.

Oooh, Liverwurst with real mayo, and bread and butter pickles! :)

We used to eat braunschweiger as a child. I tried it again as an adult and about gagged. yes where is the vomit emoticon.

We used to eat braunschweiger as a child. I tried it again as an adult and about gagged. yes where is the vomit emoticon.

Braunschweiger or liverwurst on pumpernickel, with mustard and mayo, and some sliced kosher dills on it. And a beer.

1/4 or 1/3 good hamburger on a plain bun. Add a few slices of pepperoni, a thick slab of provolone, mushrooms and/or onions if you care for them, and a large spoonful of rich Marinara sauce (Ragu will do in a pinch), and a large napkin gives you a pizza burger. Wash it down with ice cold Coke.

My favorite since I first had one at The Patio at Fort Lee, Virginia in 1965 1966.

If you have a Phillie's Best near by they have them on the menu.

I do and also make them at home.

MESSSSSSY..... but GOOOOOD!!!

let's see:

-cold meatloaf sandwich with mayo, mustard, cheese, tomato on toasted wheat bread.

or

-myveryownself's brisket on bread with mustard.

or Honey Cured Ham on focaccia - make it like this:

Stuff you'll need:

1/2 cup thin strips romaine lettuce

1 1/2 tsp. poppy seed salad dressing

1 to 2 thin slices tomato

1/4 of 8-inch focaccia, sliced in half horizontally

1 slice Havarti cheese

3 oz. Deli Ultra Thin Honey Cured Ham

6 to 8 thin strips red onion

Put it together this way:

Combine lettuce/diced small and salad dressing in a small bowl.

Place tomato on bottom half of focaccia. Top with lettuce mixture, cheese, generous amount of ham, onion, and top piece of focaccia.

let's see:

-cold meatloaf sandwich with mayo, mustard, cheese, tomato on toasted wheat bread.

or

-myveryownself's brisket on bread with mustard.

or Honey Cured Ham on focaccia - make it like this:

Stuff you'll need:

1/2 cup thin strips romaine lettuce

1 1/2 tsp. poppy seed salad dressing

1 to 2 thin slices tomato

1/4 of 8-inch focaccia, sliced in half horizontally

1 slice Havarti cheese

3 oz. Deli Ultra Thin Honey Cured Ham

6 to 8 thin strips red onion

Put it together this way:

Combine lettuce/diced small and salad dressing in a small bowl.

Place tomato on bottom half of focaccia. Top with lettuce mixture, cheese, generous amount of ham, onion, and top piece of focaccia.

I have had OKB's Brisket Sammich... the day after a potluck... They are TRULY slap your grandma good...!!!

Vaya con Dios

Rye Miles is on the right track...

a sausage grinder as made by Ianne's Pizzeria in Pueblo, Colorado.

1/2 lb of hot (hot!) pork sausage, shaped to fit a hoagy bun. Cover it generously with Swiss cheese about one minute before it leaves the skillet. Dress the bun with REAL mayo, sliced tomato, lettuce.

consume with your favorite beverage, makes no never mind, and damn the calories.

The meatloaf sammiches are good......

........and the reubens.......

I also like this.......

A nice flat sliced sharp cheddar on homemade white bread, butter,fried into a real grilled cheese.....dipped in honey!

Served with a bowl of EE Taft's famous (or is that infamous? :huh: ) homemade chili.

Goooooooood stuff!!

~EE Taft~

Archived