SASS Wire Forum

SASS Regulators

Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862

Saw the thread on Deuce Stevens being made a Regulator (and congratulations DS!) and started looking around for a list of those so honored and can't find one. Did a Google search and found that Just George from Ridgecrest (Ca) was made one in July (congratulations JG!) and I never heard, I shoot with him 2 or 3 times a year but am not tied in close with the club over there. Anyone know of a list online? Looked around on the SASS homepage, found some info on what they are and how to go about nominating one, but no list. Did I miss it?

I'd like to see who is in the "Honor's Club" also. ;)

And why...

Not including Deuce, but a lot of recent appointments have made me question the system and the standards by which someone is given this honor.

And why...

Not including Deuce, but a lot of recent appointments have made me question the system and the standards by which someone is given this honor.

+1

It's my understanding that to be a Regulator one is supposed to be someone who has worked their tail off to promote SASS & their local club. Somone jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong. I know that in the past few years there has been a tendancy to make it a "good ol boy" thing, not what you did but who you know thing.

I hope I'm wrong and that it is not a trend but it seems to me that some who have not met the intended requirements are being honored while those who have tirelessly put in their time, sweat & money go on without the recognition of the coveted black badge that they so richly deserve. But they will keep on working away w/o complaint because that's what a Regulator does. It's not a "good ol boy" club.

I can only talk about what I have seen and so far this year, I have seen two shooters at the Maryland state championships be awarded their badges and last month a TG battling cancer was surprised at a shoot with his badge.

I have no doubt about the validity of their awards based on my own observations and comments made by other shooters I respect. Each of them was well deserved.

+1

It's my understanding that to be a Regulator one is supposed to be someone who has worked their tail off to promote SASS & their local club. Somone jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong. I know that in the past few years there has been a tendancy to make it a "good ol boy" thing, not what you did but who you know thing.

I hope I'm wrong and that it is not a trend but it seems to me that some who have not met the intended requirements are being honored while those who have tirelessly put in their time, sweat & money go on without the recognition of the coveted black badge that they so richly deserve. But they will keep on working away w/o complaint because that's what a Regulator does. It's not a "good ol boy" club.

Brother Riddles;

My understanding is the same as yours. It use to be that in order to qualify for Nomination, the person had to have worked FAR beyond the local club arena. That person promoted SASS, and I don't mean by Preaching to the Choir either. It took a lot of work doing TV spots, or giving talks to Service clubs, Radio, Gun Shows, running SASS event boths and in general being a Promoter to anyone that would listen, and (Hopefully) being a role model. I'm not sure when things changed, or what the criteria is now days. It also use to be that ONLY folks who knew FIRST hand of the qualities of the indivigual to be nominated were allowed to sign the petition... but now I see and have had folks come up and ask me to sign a petition for someone I don't even Know, let alone be familiar with what they have done... I even saw one person carring his own petition asking for signatures!

Now don't get me wrong.... there are a Great Many new Regulators who more than fill the bill. They are a real asset to SASS, and I'm glad that they are around.

Snakebite

SASS Regulator

I wouldn't be part of any association that would allow me as a member.

Fillmore

I wouldn't be part of any association that would allow me as a member.

Fillmore

Hey COTY, you and I are members of a pretty exclusive club... ;)

But IS there a list that we can access on line? I could call, but I can be difficult to understand in person, let alone on the phone. Last time I called SASS to get my daughter and son in law, Al Havanother, signed up it came back I'll Havaneuter.....

Hey COTY, you and I are members of a pretty exclusive club... ;)

You got me there. I'll try to remember to call tomorrow so we'll have the answer.

Feelmore

It's pretty simple, really. If you think somebody fills the bill, based on the SASS definition of what makes a regulator, nominate them. If you don't, don't.

The WB makes the decision, based on endorsements and input from people they know who know what a regulator is.

My definition of a Regulator is one that has made a significant contribution to SASS.

This does not mean they are high profile nationally known world champions but the home town folk that work for the benefit of the backbone of SASS, the local clubs.

My definition of a Regulator is one that has made a significant contribution to SASS.

This does not mean they are high profile nationally known world champions but the home town folk that work for the benefit of the backbone of SASS, the local clubs.

and Deuce certainly does that! ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived