SASS Wire Forum

Slugged 38-55 at .381

Smoked Fish , SASS # 52621

I slugged my Marlin Cowboy 338 38-55 at .381.

Hunter has bullets this size, but have not found any other places that sell this large.

Most sell at 279 or at best 380.

Any body knnow of a place to pick up some 381 dia 38-55 bullets?

Thanks

Smoked Fish

Smoked------Midway USA--sells Hunter Supply 38/55's --.381 diam----260 gr fn lead-----use to get mine from H.S. retailer here but he went out of buisness! .381's are kinda hard for me to find! MAKE shure the chamber on ya Marlin will let ya chamber .381's--ya may have to have chamber reamed out to take em!!

If you are using Winchester brass get correct thinner necked brass from Starline & it will generally cure the problem without having to ream.

You may find that either Lee or Lyman molds will throw the desired diameter depending on alloy.

From past experience!!!!! Do get the chamber reamed to properly accept a loaded round with that oversize bullet. If you don't, expect more problems than you wish to contend with. Been there, done that.

RBK

That's a mighty big 38-55 bore diameter

Exactly sized bullet is essential if you expect any accuracy at all

If you are shooting BP with a soft bullet the .380 should work fine. That's what I use in my .381 bore Buffalo Classic. One of these days I will get the chamber cut but until then....

Archived