SASS Wire Forum

"Lash LaRue King of the Bullwhip" - - book for sale

Howdy

Have a nice book for sale.

"Lash LaRue King of the Bullwhip"

by Chuck Thornton and David Rothel

"Here is everything you ever wanted to know about "King of the Bullwhip" Lash LaRue

-Lash LaRue, King of the Bullwhip. An exploration of this cowboy as a enigma - a puzzling contradictory show business phenomena.

-The King of the Bullwhip answers his fans's questions. A giant, comprehensive compendium of questions and answers compiled from recordings of guest star panels at a number of film conventions from 1980-1987

-The Western adventures of lash LaRue. A complete filography of Larue's Western movies.

-From the pages of Lash's scrapbook. A compilation of photographs and newspaper clippings from LaRue's post-cowboy days.

A Word From The Publisher

"I first became aware of Lash LaRue in the year 1947, when my local theatre suddenly was bombarded with Western movies starring a fairly new cowboy dressed in black from head to toe and wielding a bullwhip.

During 1947, Lash starred in eight pictures and I believe out little movie house played all of them. Those eight pictures, produced by PRC Pictures and Eagle Lion, launched a career for the original "man in black" that would cause him to be recognized and well know for his entire life. After all, who could forget the name Lash LaRue? I never knew anyone named Lash until saw it come blazing across the silver screen bigger than life.

There is much to be said about this man who today is one of the best remembered movie cowboys who ever rode a horse and went that-a-way. Again-it's the name, the man, or perhaps a mixture of both that causes us to remember Lash LaRue. One night, while watching The Tonight Show, Johnny Carson was conversing with guest Lewis Grizzard, and the subject got around to Western movies. Grizzard quickly mentioned three cowboys that he remembered: Tom Mix, Gene Autry, and Lash LaRue. This scene is epeated time and time again via tlevision, radio, magazines, movies, and newspapers on quite a regular basis. I repeat, Lash has made his mark in the pages of lasting time.

Another time while watching the television program Hell Town from a few years back, Robert Blake, in character as a priest, was talking to God, and in his conversation blurted out, "...and God, please bless all the ole cowboys like Gene Aurty, Roy Rogers, and Lash LaRue." Once more the Lash LaRue magic surfaced.

You are holding in your hands our book on the original "man in black," Lash LaRue. Both Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings declared they wear black clothing due to watching Lash on the screen while they were young men growing up. We at Empire are grateful to Chuck Thornton and David Rothel for writing this book that will allow generation and future generations the opportunity to remember this legendary celebrity."

copy right 1988

first printing: 1988

second printing: 2003

8 3/4" x 11 1/4" tall

160 pages

book is in near excellent condition

No dust jacket (I don't think it came with one)

New lowered price

$25.00 shipped to you (media rate) in the U.S.A.

If you are interested or need more info. please post here on the wire.

Thanks for look'n.

Poverity---don't mean to interrupt ya post---often wondered what was Lash Larue's real name?? Theres a young girl on CSI Miami-whose last name is Larue,makes me wonder if maby granddaughter or other kin??--I met Lash when I was 7 or 8 yrs old---guess movies were over with-he was touring midsouth small towns showing one of his movies & doing stage show---Whip & gun tricks---when he shot bad guy (blanks) it scared hell outa me--real loud in small movie theather!! He was selling autographed pictures in foyer afterwards--was scared to death of him after that loud noise! He got into trouble w/law in Memphis in 59 or 60-they confisticated his .38 revolver--When he was in Memphis doing film festible several years ago -it came out police property dept STILL had his revolver---he didn't want it back---never heard what became of it! Sorry to but in couldn't stop my self!

His birth name was Alfred Larue. MT

Archived