SASS Wire Forum

Entertaining the idea of relocating

:FlagAm: Apple Annie and I are discussing relocating to another part of this country. She has been in the Phoenix area since 1954 and I since 1973. We have decided not to spend the rest of our lives here and when we move, it will be out of Arizona. She can retire at any time from Kroger. I work for Home Depot and can relocate with that company or do something else.

If anyone in the SASS community would be willing to send us some info on the area that you live in including some real estate literature, we would sincerely appreciate it. At this point, we are open to any suggestions with the exception of California for the obvious reasons. I did grow up on the east coast, lower Catskills above NYC and central PA., but have not been back that way since 1976.

Thank you ahead of time for any consideration given and I am willing to reimburse any expenses incurred sending the info.

Regards,

Chas B. Wolfson and Apple Annie :D

:FlagAm: Apple Annie and I are discussing relocating to another part of this country. She has been in the Phoenix area since 1954 and I since 1973. We have decided not to spend the rest of our lives here and when we move, it will be out of Arizona. She can retire at any time from Kroger. I work for Home Depot and can relocate with that company or do something else.

If anyone in the SASS community would be willing to send us some info on the area that you live in including some real estate literature, we would sincerely appreciate it. At this point, we are open to any suggestions with the exception of California for the obvious reasons. I did grow up on the east coast, lower Catskills above NYC and central PA., but have not been back that way since 1976.

Thank you ahead of time for any consideration given and I am willing to reimburse any expenses incurred sending the info.

Regards,

I wuz gonna giv ya some information that might have been of interest to ya about living near a real WILD WEST town . . . . but .... yur, . . . "with the exception of California" . . . sort of kills that ideee-r <_<

I went through this about 7 years ago drove down to Fl and then north up the blue ridge parkway. took 2 months stopping avery once in a while to check out the houses for sale the gun clubs etc.... by the time I had reached Maine I checked in to a comfort inn just south of portland and after 10 days looking at homes from Freeport south to the NH line (AKA North Massachusetts) I still had not found what I wanted and so moved up to the Midcoast area and after a further 5 days of looking and also doing my own web searching each evening I found just what I wanted at a price I could afford....

in the mid coast there are Home Depot stores in Brunswick (but the NAS just closed there so I would find it hard to pick Brunswick/Bath area right now though you might do well there on house prices for that reason) next one up the coast is in Rockland which is a nice area (Of course recommending Maine really only works if you are OK with snow for a few months each year a bit of mud in the "spring" and a few weeks of black fly season....

one of the places that remained on my top 10 list through the process was Ashland NC (they lost a few points for rather a lot of Damm yankie jokes when I checked out a range in the area really did not make a northerner feel very welcome but the area ticked most of my other boxes

Do make heavy use of the online real-estate searching I found Zillow http://www.zillow.com/ to one of the better places; and these days they have a cool iPhone app to help when on the road (I could have made good use of it back then needing to pull in to a place with WiFi to do the on the road searches).

They will save you a lot of time I also used family and old work contacts to find good brokers in each of my stopping areas but I think you would do just as well asking here for recommendations like that.

One consideration is that you are used to wide open spaces and distant vistas and in New England apart from coastal sea views (which can be expensive from a property standpoint) you have a closed in feeling My sister retired to Santa Fe NM for just that reason and she will comment as we ride about looking at the fall foliage colors at ho closed in by the trees shed feels driving about in Maine. I attended university and then worked for 10 years in Colorado and while I enjoy the mountains and the endless vistas out west My heart belongs to the sea and to the coast of new england....

So research research research and then plot out some trips (try to work in a few local shoots too For New england this is the go too place for CAS shoots and club info http://www.northeastcas.com/ ) and take your time finding the right spot for YOU :FlagAm:

I just noticed your interest in wood working... this area is a hot bed of fine furniture making and wooden boat building with a host of things like schools that specialize in teaching all about Windsor chair making and wood turning schools and Timber framing schools etc. which is all fine and good but just up the road from me is this place

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/

and their factory outlet store.... and it can empty a fellows wallet even faster than a used gun store :rolleyes::wacko::blink:

Regards,

If you have any interest in the left coast Oregon and Washington are nice places, and have an active CAS/SASS participation.

The Puget Sound are is a bit expensive, but eastern WA and some areas on the Peninsula are fine, as is most of Oregon.

The coast can get spendy due to 'location'.

Climate is fine - perhaps too damp for some, but after 37 years up here (moved from NY via Texas and AZ) I'm comfortable here, as are

a few others . . . .

We're looking to leave King County after retirement - taxes to feed Seattle are too high. We're looking at Cody, Eastern WA and Eastern

Oregon (near Baker City) as candidate places, but we want to spend a few vacation trips scouting the areas first.

You can make a vacation plan to visit up here - let the Cow-Persons know when your coming and between us we can point you at areas to

visit and check out in person, also you can go to Windermere on line and look at real estate.

Good Luck - it's a major move - so it deserves lots of thought and investigation first . . .

Shadow Catcher

Here isn New Hampshire there is no income tax and no sales tax. That means the property tax pays for almost all government functions and schools. My property taxes are running over $10K now. While I'm working that's not bad since I don't have the other taxes to contend with but once I retire it becomes a significant portion of my income and I am thinking about relocating.

Here isn New Hampshire there is no income tax and no sales tax. That means the property tax pays for almost all government functions and schools. My property taxes are running over $10K now. While I'm working that's not bad since I don't have the other taxes to contend with but once I retire it becomes a significant portion of my income and I am thinking about relocating.

Oy! :blink:

I Myself am Kind of Partial to Colorado ..... I have been to all but 4 states.... 4 differnet Countrys and In My Oppinion Colorado is Truely GOD's Country .... not to get no one Riled up er nuttin...... only place in New York I cared for Was Upper State, and I like Both ends of California Sourthern and Far North, not real found of 29 tree stumps ooops i mean palms ..... Parts of Tex like New Mexico, Arizona, Heck I like the West half of the Country ..... ITs GReat! but MY Favorite is Got to Be Colorado ..... I know alot has changed since I lived there but when i was there the people where the nicest friendly people you could ever meet.... now they have had some trans plants come it that hummmmm well that dont belong .... but most of the People are Great .... The Fresh air, Climate, and its not as cold as people think it is ... unless you live up in the Mountians There are a few places that could Get Preety Harsh in the winter. but Around the Springs (Colorado Springs) around the Denver Area is Nice I like South Denver and along the foot hills, Also Cortez ... I havent been there in Cortez since 75 or 76 but It was a Small little town trapped in a time warp .... Awesome place of course that was 35 -36 yrs ago and i am sure it grew and stuff but it was a Nice Place..... Currently I find myself in BFE ooops I mean Ohio and not really found of it... but plan to relocate here in the near Future...... I Hear Oregon and Washington are nice but those are 2 of the 4 I have not been too! .... one Day I will......

We lived in Western Mass and Vermont a few years ago. Loved it!!! That was before we were shooting so I don't have much info on that portion of it. Had a wonderful log cabin home in the Green Mountains. Sigh I miss New England.....

Well there are worst states then California to live when it comes to stupid laws & taxes....For that mater not all of CA is San Fransisco ( were folks just don't think right) & Los Angles ( were Folks just think)...Calif. can be a very good place to come and play or just see the sights you can find it all here .... If you don't mind the desert then Nevada ain't bad...taxes are low as is the housing and they have good gun laws...if you are say around Reno...give or take 50 miles were you will find some of the best CAS people you will ever meet you can shoot & play in Calif., OR, WA in just a few hours...you can get to the mountains in 45 min. give or take or to the coast in around 3 hours or so...There is a truck lode of monthlies with in 150 miles and some great annuls

Virginia is a very gun-friendly state; no FOID's, no registration, no purchase permits, no waiting periods, no beaurocratic freedom-killing Bravo Sierra, EXCEPT, a one-handgun-per-month purchase limit, UNLESS, you have a Va. concealed carry permit, and then you can buy as many as you want. Plus, we have a strong preemption law that prevents local gubmints in places like the counties and cities of Occupied Northern Virginia from passing their own restrictive purchase and ownership ordinances. They used to have them, but they were rendered null and void with the passage of the preemption law some years back.

If you move to the central part of the state, like around Richmond to Ashland, you will be within 1 hour or so of a cowboy shoot just about every weekend. Check it out!

Nashville TN (also known as the center of the universe)

Winters aint too cold, no earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes. Housing still pretty affordable. Lots of work and some good shooting clubs.

http://www.lyndonlafevers.com/ (for real estate. He's the man!)

Here in New Hampshire there is no income tax and no sales tax. That means the property tax pays for almost all government functions and schools. My property taxes are running over $10K now. While I'm working that's not bad since I don't have the other taxes to contend with but once I retire it becomes a significant portion of my income and I am thinking about relocating.

And that's after the $500 veterans' tax credit.

If you hate paying huge property taxes....don't try New Jersey or Pennslyvania. Loved the beauty of the land there (spent 20 years up there) but hated the taxes on everything but food and clothes. PA even taxed you on what kind of job you had! Then the township you lived in could add another 1% (or more) just to live there and there were NO deductions - it came straight off the top of your income! :angry:

I grew up in AZ and spent alot of time in CO. If I weren't in TX, I'd be in one of those two places. Missed the sunshine up north! :)

Sunshine... I'll give you some sunshine. How about 350 days a year of clear blue skies. NO BS! it storms at night because we like it that way. COLORADO. Simple... any state without income tax either 1) knocks the bejeesus out of property tax or 2) is huge on extraction royalties... like Wyoming. Plus, it was dang hot here today.. made it to 85 I think.

I'm fixin' ta move (that's Texan for gettin' ready) for the winter anyway. I'm thinking TX... hill country. The only problem with TX is that everyone and their cousin has a high fenced place. The others wish they did. Keeps YOUR critters inside where you can shoot them yourself. Nothing wrong with that except I have loved, hunted, and lived the mountains for over 40 years... no fences.

I can't imagine being a YANKEE so I have no advice for you there. Probably limits where a feller feels welcome while being a TEXAN makes you wonder XXX is wrong with everyone else.

I can't imagine a better life than winters in the Hill Country of TX and summers in the Rocky Mountains. But then... I've been everywhere else (military family).

I'd speak for Mizzourah but our economy is tanked and finding any kind of job here is pretty iffy unless you are a CNA and wanna work in an older adult care center. Most building centers are laying off or closing. Construction is at a standstill, unless you head toward Joplin as they are still rebuilding from the tornado. But when their fed-bucks run-out, so will the work I reckon.

It's nice country up here, four seasons (sometimes all in one day!), and taxes are low, cost of living in rural areas is tolerable. Lots of retirees around the lakes region where I live. Good gun laws and CCW is easy enough. Hunting is terriffic most of the time, weather being the biggest factor. Real estate is OK, but I think somewhat overvalued. Not near as bad as some of our neighboring states though. I been thinking of looking at Oklahoma myself lately. Any high school social studies teacher jobs down there? :unsure:

Bodine

Archived