SASS Wire Forum

Dry rub and BBQ sauce recipes

:FlagAm: I have recently purchased a new smoker and am having lots of fun using it and experimenting. I would like to try some new and different dry rubs and sauces. Various regions of the country have flavors and seasonings specific to that area and I would like to expand my horizons so to speak.

If you have a favorite recipe for a dry rub or BBQ sauce and are willing to share, I would sincerely appreciate you replying with a P.M. with that recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Chas B. Wolfson

Oh no ya don't! Section I-81-2 of the Saloon rules states:

"All recipes promulgated by members must be publicly posted and shared on this forum in accordance with the Cowboy Way. Any member keeping recipes secret will be severely chastised and have their drinking privileges suspended for a period of forty-seven hours and thirty dang minutes."

:lol:

Well, if'n I'm feelin' simple (happens a LOT), I'll just use lemon pepper, garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!) and wore-ches-ter-shire... :rolleyes:

Yum! ^_^

Oh! And do innerestin' smoke things with whatever herbs might be handy. :)

I have worked this product into quite a few of my sauces (and on its own it is a fantastic dip for pork rinds ) I sometimes just add 25% of the linghams to what ever other sauce I might be making from Maranara to Salad dressing to mustards and ketchups and BBQ sauces on its own it is a Sweet/hot chilli sauce.

Here is a place to buy if your local market does not stock it

http://www.efooddepot.com/products/lingham/4543/lingham_hot_sauce_(original)__hypen__12_dot_5oz.html

Here is an advertising blurb

Linghams Original Hot Sauce in 12.5oz (358g) Bottle. The worlds Finest Multi-Use Condiment since 1908. Sweet And Spicy Unique, Versatile, Delicious, 100% Natural. No Preservative, No Tomatoes Paste, No added Flavor and No Food Conditioner. Made 100% From Red Chilies. Product of Malaysia. Halal Certified

And here is the makers web site

http://www.lingham.com/sauce.htm

which has their own info on the product

Lingham’s Chilli Sauce/Lingham’s Hot Sauce is made from just chilli, sugar, vinegar and salt. This characteristic makes it possible for Lingham’s Chilli Sauce / Lingham’s Hot Sauce to be used as an ingredient to make new spicy sauces or as an ingredient to make spicy versions of existing sauces such as:

Spicy salad dressings

Spicy tartar sauce

Spicy barbeque sauce

Spicy Salsa

Spicy tomato ketchup

Spicy mustard

This is one of my favorites and is an adaptation of a recipie by the Neely's

2 cups ketchup

3 1cup water

4 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

5 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar

• 5 tablespoons sugar

• 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

• 1/2 tablespoon onion powder

• 2 Tablespoons of Dejon or other ground mustard

• 1 tablespoon lime juice

• 1 Tablespoon minced garlic

• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

• 1 Teaspoon liquid smoke

• 1/2 Teaspoon Habanera seasoning or to taste

• Combine all the above and bring to a boil, then simmer slowly for one hour or so.

• The sauce will be thin and is best served warm

I like to make Pastrami ....I will turn most anything into Pastrami :rolleyes:

First you need to corn your meat...

CORN MEAT CURE

4 quarts water

1 cup kosher salt

12 cloves, garlic, crushed

3 Tablespoons of pickling spices

8 bay leaves

*1 teaspoon salt peter (optional)

Bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat and add the salt and salt peter *. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved. Allow cooling. Stir in the garlic, pickling spices and bay leaves. The brine is now ready for use. For brining, always use a non-metal, airtight container.

Salt Peter or potassium nitrate is a food preservative. It will give the meat a pink coloring and reduce the chances of spoilage. If you are careful with your food handling and don't need the pink coloring you do not need to add the salt peter.*

*Instead of the salt peter go to a full service butcher and ask for 2 oz. Of their pink meat cure. I do not know the name of the stuff I just always ask my butcher for some pink cure…..anyway Use 1 teaspoon to four quarts of water.

Soak in brine for two weeks in fridge.

When soak your meat in the brine make sure your meat is completely submerged in the brine.

If you don’t have any bear or venison to corn you can use beef…

Brisket is best if your using beef but you can use other cuts if you want a leaner corn beef sandwich.

Cook your corn meat as you would a store bought corn beef.

Don’t be afraid to add or subtract your garlic & pickling spices depending on your taste.

I also use this recipe to corn wild duck, goose, and turkey before I pastrami them.

Now that you have corned your meat lets turn it into Pastrami.

Pastrami

Pastrami is a smoked corned meat usually a beef brisket but hell I have corned all kinds of meats from turkey to bear and made pastrami out of it.

You can buy corned beef you can make your own pastrami any afternoon.

Pastrami has a unique flavor and there are many variations to the spice rub that goes on it. At the heart of most all these seasonings is black pepper and ground coriander. These are the main flavors you should aim for to give your pastrami that unique flavor. The rub should be applied in a thick coating. This will create a crust on the surface of the pastrami..

Soak your corned meat for at least 2 hours per pound changing the water every 2 hours. This will remove much of the salt from the corned beef but leave enough behind to flavor the pastrami effectively.

Traditionally pastrami is cold smoked. This means that it is smoked at cold temperatures around 60 degrees F. but if you hot smoke your pastrami you won't know the difference. Still keep the smoker or bar-b-q temperature low, around 225 degrees F and smoke the pastrami for about 1 hour per pound.

Prepare your smoker to cook at around 225 degrees F for about 1 hour per pound of your corned meat. You do not need to worry about drying out the pastrami, it is a dry meat anyway. The object is to cook down the meat and put some smoke flavor into it.

For wood you want something mild. While the smoke flavor is going to add to the quality of the pastrami you do not want to over power the flavor with a strong wood like hickory or mesquite. A popular wood to use when making pastrami is maple. I also use woods like apple, cherry, or grape.

Use a heavy dose of smoke at the beginning to bath the corned beef so it can soak in the smoke flavor.

The pastrami is done when the internal temperature of the corned meat reaches 165 degrees F. The outside of the meat should be nearly black and the corned meat may shrunk down by 10% to 20%. Since corned meats are a cured meat it doesn't have to be cooked to a specific temperature but by the time the meat reaches 165 degrees F the meat will have absorbed all the smoke it needs and the flavor will be set.

Once your pastrami is done you can go ahead and start slicing. Now, if you are like me and don't have a fancy meat slicer then you will have to do it with a sharp knife. You best bet is to let the pastrami cool by placing it in the refrigerator for several hours. Once the meat is cold it can be easily sliced very thin. This is the key to good pastrami, very thin slices.

To reheat the pastrami you want to steam it. This makes the thin pastrami slices moist and tender. You can do this in a steamer or you can wrap pastrami slices in wet paper towels and place it in the microwave.

Your pastrami will not last forever. If you are not going to eat all of it in a week you should freeze what you can't eat. It is best to carve all the pastrami first and freeze it in small packets so you can take out what you will need.

Final Task: As will everything you smoke you should write down everything you did, what rub you used and what wood you used for smoke. Then try the pastrami to see how you like it. Too peppery? Not enough smoke? These are all factors you can adjust next time.

I promise you that you won't be buying any pastrami at the meat counter any time soon.

Pastrami rub

• 4 tablespoons kosher salt

• 4 tablespoons paprika

• 3 tablespoons coriander seeds

• 3 tablespoons brown sugar

• 2 tablespoons black peppercorns

• 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds

• 1 tablespoon white peppercorns

• 8 cloves garlic, minced

Preparation:

• Combine coriander seeds, peppercorns and mustard seeds in a spice grinder. Grind coarsely. Add in remaining ingredients and mix well. Rub is now ready to use. It may be stored, refrigerated in an airtight container.

My dry rub consists of brown sugar, garlic powder, and paprika. Rub yer ribs down and them let them sit in the fridge overnight before grilling.

For my pit-barbecue beef, I use a dry rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder (granulated), and paprika. I'm not sure of the proportions. I just start grabbing handfuls of stuff and start rubbing it in. Mostly salt and paprika.

My dry rub consists of brown sugar, garlic powder, and paprika. Rub yer ribs down and them let them sit in the fridge overnight before grilling.

+1. You will have to figure out the portions and additional stuff to add. Cigar ashes one time fell in my batch and all I got were complements. Maybe next time I will try FFFg. Talk about slow smoke.

Archived