SASS Wire Forum

OK you gamers!

Chief Rick

What do you put on your shotshells to make them easier to shuck out of your SxS'S?

NOTHING! Just polish the snot outta the chambers and use smooth sided shotshells. Some use a wax or light coating of a lube.

For me it is mostly honing the chambers really well. I usually give my AA or STS shells a lite mist of Tire Black from WallyWorld. I think it is mostly silicone.

Biggest thing is the chambers.

Baikal with just the chamber mouthes smoothed, chambers as provided.

Keep the gun barrels as close to hoizontal as possible, maybe slightly muzzle up but not a lot, and with a short, FaST jerking motion, jab the gun back maybe 6" or so and STOP abruptly. That stop is what allows the hulls to keep going and clear the gun. Done properly, the hulls fly over the crook of yer elbow. No long motions, no slow to get moving, slow to stop motions, just a quick jab. Then STS or AA hulls as made, no mouse milk, will fly right out even after 10 or more stages between swiping the chambers to clear any residue. Deuce posted a great vid showing the shucking motion....

What do you put on your shotshells to make them easier to shuck out of your SxS'S?

I use nothing on my shells or shotgun.. My chambers are honed (polished)

I use AA's fer loads.. smooth sides... brass base.. (important brass base.. others will swell in the chambers)

When the replies say to polish/hone the chambers.. I don't really think they mean to a mirror finish inside..

I believe that would make them stick easier...

I used a brake cylinder hone and then again with 0000 steel wool.. and just increased the area a little..

When ya look inside.. you'd say.. those aren't polished... cause they still look rough.. but it works..

Rance <_<

thinkin' the rest of shucking shells is manual labor on the line :)

Edit... I've shot on posse's that had 2 great National winners on it.. husband & wife team..

I know them personally, they both shoot SxS's.. they'll help you any way they can..

They swab their chambers with a swob and balistol at the end of every stage..

They have national champions belt buckles.. I don't ... might be something to that. :wacko:

Well, to make shotgun shells shuck easier - You have to make some observations and then modifications to the SxS.

First - You have to get the right shells and maintain cleanliness to assist with positive shell "shucking"

Second - Your barrels should be PERFECTLY aligned with each other to avoid shell binding during the shucking motion.

SxS barrels are slightly askew to make them impact at the same point, this variance in angle as applied to the receiver means your rearward shucking motion is being unequally applied to both barrels depending on your dominant hand.

Third - Your shucking motion should be driven from the force of the forward hand snapping the gun rearward. Too many shooters try to use the rearward hand to deliver that impetus to the shells.

Now that we have noted the issues, how do we correct them?

Proper shells are the easiest fix. Smooth sided shells, either Winchester AA or Remington STS shells will deliver the smoothest performance.

Barrel alignment is very difficult, if not impossible.

After years of tinkering and adjustment trying to maintain same point of impact for dual barrels while minimizing barrel angle offset, I finally settled on a central singular tube design that can be perfectly aligned with the receiver which eliminates barrel offset and angle variance.

This design lightens the barrel weight by streamlining the design and eliminating redunancy. It does require a slightly more complex receiver design and internal machinery.

Shucking impetus was fixed by designing and attaching a thrust tranferring mechanism that uses the forces applied to the forearm to aid the expulsion of the fired case from the shotguns chamber. This force transferrance item actually "grabs" the fired shell and removes it from the chamber, moving it rearward and expelling it clear of the firearm. This added design component, tho sounding complicated, is simply encased within the slightly oversized receiver modification referenced earlier.

These ideas, smooth shells,

a single centrally located barrel tube

and the forward located force transfer mechanism are not cheap nor simple to integrate into most SxS shotguns.

But I believe these ideas and modifications represent the evolution of shotgun design.

And they add a level of reliablity to the shucking process without requiring chemical product application to exterior of your shells.

Good luck, Creeker ;)

honed cylinders yup, spray a lil balistol in em often, yup,, check shells with gage before and after loading to see that that are within tolerances and will eject easily...

Cheyenne

I have 8 or 10 doubles. Never honed any of them. Run a bore snake once or twice a year. That's it. Long as I use AAs or STSs they shuck as good as anyone else's.

All those elixirs and jazz is in people's heads. Mumbo jumbo.

Voodoo.

I have 8 or 10 doubles. Never honed any of them. Run a bore snake once or twice a year. That's it. Long as I use AAs or STSs they shuck as good as anyone else's.

All those elixirs and jazz is in people's heads. Mumbo jumbo.

Voodoo.

NOTHING! Just polish the snot outta the chambers and use smooth sided shotshells. Some use a wax or light coating of a lube.

Yup. STS or Nitro Gold hulls work best IMNSHO

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

hammers on bakail sxs are stiff to pull back, any ideas to help make the external hammers pull easier. can't find any parts lisst online.. anybody know where to get one?

I have heard tell of folks using lemon pledge on shotguns shells, never tried it my own self.

While I may be a card carrying gamer, just ask Buck D Law, I am only considered fast when compared to a tree growing.

Ifn yer cylinders are not already polished, get yourself a cotton mop and chuck it into your drill. slather it with SemiChrome Polish and run it on low speed in each cylinder til smooth as glass (don't pull it out at fast speed or you will feel like yer mom when whipping frosting..

In my guncart I keep a plastic tube to hold another cotton mop (this one is attached to a wooden dowel for a handle. I squirt a bunch of BreakFree onto the mop and put it into the tube. and the tube keeps it moist and keeps it from messing up the cart. Then during the match, I pull out the mop and push it into the chambers a couple of times. Keeps them smooth as glass.

curley

I shoot black powder from once fired Remington Gun Club (ribbed) hulls that I get from my buddies who shoot the smokeless stuff. My SXS is a Bounty Hunter II and the chambers are shiney like a mirror, but that might have been work by the previous owner. The last step before boxing up my shells is to put them on an old newspaper, spray them down with balistoil and wipe them down. I don't do any wiping or cleaning of the gun during a match. The shells shuck just fine.

YMMV

Chancy

I know this doesn't really answer your original question, but I've discovered that Magtech brass hulls squirt right on out of the chambers...

I know this doesn't really answer your original question, but I've discovered that Magtech brass hulls squirt right on out of the chambers...

Until they get stomped on. :lol:

I use a 16ga brush wrapped with a Break Free wipe after every stage.

Clean and slick.

You will be shocked how dirty your chamber can get after only four shots

I also swab my chambers after every stage but, never thought of adding a touch of Break Free or anything else. What a great idea.........I'm stealing it. :D

Archived