SASS Wire Forum

Pulling lead bullets

Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580

I recently changed how I load my main match cartridges (powder volume and bullet weight), so I've got a bunch of .45's loaded with cast bullets that I want to pull the bullets out of, and I'd like to salvage the powder if I can. I've got one of those hammer thingies for getting the bullets out, but I've got enough bullets to pull that I would probably run out of time in my life before I got them all pulled, plus salvaging the powder doesn't work quite as well as it maybe could with one of those. Anybody got any scathingly brilliant ideas for how to do this?

On the other hand, I guess I could just shoot 'em, and not worry about saving anything. That might be the way I end up going. But wouldn't that constitute practicing, or some such nasty activity as that? :D

Pulling well seated and hard crimped LEAD bullets is an exercise in futility. It's almost impossible to do without damaging the lead bullets. Jacketed bullets is another thing, but pure lead bullets are sure to be distorted if using a collet type puller.

Your best bet is to simply use them up in practice, and possibly continue to use them in matches until they are used up, if at all possible. Destroying the bullet, which is the most expensive component in the reload, (excluding the cases), isn't going to provide much savings.

RBK

I started a thread about this a few months ago and received several suggestions. I had about 125 bullets to pull and the method I describe below was suggested to me in that thread and is what worked best for me.

I have a Lee reloading press so I removed the turret containing the loading dies and place the round to be pulled in the shell holder. I raised the ram to its max height which puts the lead round about 3/4" above the top of the press. I used a pair of pliers and gripped the lead round and held it tightly, laying the edge of the pliers on top of the press. Using the pliers to hold pressure on the lead bullet lower the ram. The amount of pressure required to pull the bullet is dependent upon the amount of crimp.

This made pulling the bullet pretty easy and the powder and primers were all in tact. The lead round does have a little groove in it where an indention was made while holding the pliers on it. However the depth of the indention in the lead made by the pliers was not too deep. I just reloaded the bullets and shot them.

At the low velocity we shoot in SASS the little deformation will not cause that much inaccuracy, the targets are pretty close. However if you are a purist and want to only use perfect ammo in a match just relegate these deformed reloaded rounds to practice. As usual, YMMV.

I started a thread about this a few months ago and received several suggestions. I had about 125 bullets to pull and the method I describe below was suggested to me in that thread and is what worked best for me.

I have a Lee reloading press so I removed the turret containing the loading dies and place the round to be pulled in the shell holder. I raised the ram to its max height which puts the lead round about 3/4" above the top of the press. I used a pair of pliers and gripped the lead round and held it tightly, laying the edge of the pliers on top of the press. Using the pliers to hold pressure on the lead bullet lower the ram. The amount of pressure required to pull the bullet is dependent upon the amount of crimp.

This made pulling the bullet pretty easy and the powder and primers were all in tact. The lead round does have a little groove in it where an indention was made while holding the pliers on it. However the depth of the indention in the lead made by the pliers was not too deep. I just reloaded the bullets and shot them.

At the low velocity we shoot in SASS the little deformation will not cause that much inaccuracy, the targets are pretty close. However if you are a purist and want to only use perfect ammo in a match just relegate these deformed reloaded rounds to practice. As usual, YMMV.

That works pretty good, as will a collet type puller, IF, AND ONLY IF, the bullets are not heavily crimped. If he has a heavy crimp on the cases, it's doubtful that he can save the bullets. I'd just shoot them if I could.

RBK

I use a Lee Classic turret for this. I remove the turret, run the bullet up, then I use a pair of linemans wire cutters to grab the bullet. I put a small piece of leather on the edge of the press to protect it from the wire cutters. Works great, Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. These are crimped pretty heavily, so I guess I'll give the plier thing a try and if it doesn't work then I'll be forced to actually shoot 'em up. Dang, I hate it when that happens...

I use highly-pressurized gas to force the bullet from the case. It's really not very effective, as it almost always results in deformation of the bullet, and invariably causes loss of the powder and renders the primer inert. Plus it is rather noisy. I just do it because it is alot of fun.

I use highly-pressurized gas to force the bullet from the case. It's really not very effective, as it almost always results in deformation of the bullet, and invariably causes loss of the powder and renders the primer inert. Plus it is rather noisy. I just do it because it is alot of fun.

:D:lol::D

Don't fight with your hobby, shoot 'em!!!! Pulling big numbers of bullets because you want to change your load is just crazY!!!!! No offense intended!:) Rye

Don't fight with your hobby, shoot 'em!!!! Pulling big numbers of bullets because you want to change your load is just crazY!!!!! No offense intended!:) Rye

No offense taken! The more I think about the number of rounds I have loaded, the more I think I'll just shoot 'em. Practice :blink::wacko: here we come :D

I found a long time ago that I waste more time trying to find quicker way than the time necessary to do it right. Of all methods I am currently aware of and I have tried most, just grab the mallet puller and have at them. You will be through faster than the several days of following SASS WIRE suggestions and you should not lose any components in the effort.

Archived