SASS Wire Forum

If you were SASS CEO

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

I would say that some folks have little or no imagination, or personal initiative.......... Sorry, I simply can't relate that that kind of mentality. No wonder our kids grow up thinking the world owes them daily light show!

Hey....someone who understands what the "I" truly stands for!!!!! You must have met my father!!!!! ^_^

( As for Possum Skinner, I am sure he is a fine person, never my intent to say otherwise!)

(( and last post on this post, thanks for allowing my opinion))

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 97 would be history and any revolver, shotgun, or cartridge firing rifle made before 1890 and copies there of would be legal.

Any mods but simple action jobs and sight correction would not be legal.

Targets would be further out and smaller.

The old adage if you have to ask, it probably isn’t legal would be followed.

OMG! I'm sure glad you are not CEO. Look here.

I guess if I don't agree with you or the anointed one I have no right to an opinion?

Henry,

I didn't say you didn't have a right to an opinion. I just don't like your opinion. Don't I have the right to disagree with you? :unsure::rolleyes:;)

Who is "the anointed one?" :unsure:

Regards,

Allie "who must have missed the consecration" Mo

Allie Mo,

What about B-Western and Classic Cowboy? Are costume categories a no go?...

Hi Dad,

If we are looking to cut categories, "costume categories" would be on my cut list. Then, I'm not CEO. ;)

Seems like you can dress any way that suits you in any category. You can shoot 45s in any category (except Frontiersman).

I don't really care if we revamp categories or not. I just listed a way that made sense to me.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Henry,

I didn't say you didn't have a right to an opinion. I just don't like your opinion. Don't I have the right to disagree with you? :unsure::rolleyes:;)

Regards,

:lol: Your my kind of gal, Allie. Kinda fiesty! ;)

Henry,

Regards,

Isn;t that the guy in the White House? :P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Henry,

Regards,

I'm gonna take a wild guess that's a swipe at Phantom. ;)

Sell Founders Ranch.

Negotiate a wonderful deal with a venue that would facilitate a true world class event...which means drawing in large attendence by non-shooters.

Best way to grow the game...

Phantom

:FlagAm:

+1

4 pages of discussions

New rule: If you can make the timer laugh while saying your "line" one second is taken off your overall time.

This is best thing I heard

Coffee

Henry,

Regards,

Sure you have a right to disagree with my post, I expected a lot of people would. What I didn’t like was being redirected to your thread venting about people who want to change the rules. I don’t want to change the rules, if anything I want to change them back to what they were at the start. I don’t care what anyone shoots just because I’m not a fan of mods or the 97 (and I own two of them) they aren’t going away and I know that.

I would in my fantasy like to see any gun or replica from the time period up to 1900 be legal and that includes double action revolvers and possibly the rare semi auto made before 1900. I would even include rifles such as the 1895 Winchester as long as it was loaded down to safe levels that would not damage targets or endanger anyone. But this is just my fantasy opinion and nothing else.

Nope

My appologies for making a bad assumption.

P.S. I'm more than a little happy I was wrong. I've had my differences with the man in black in the past but, in talking to him I've come to understand more about where he comes from. Yeah, he's a bit blunt but, he's an upright fellow and you always know where you stand with him.

"Sure you have a right to disagree with my post, I expected a lot of people would. What I didn’t like was being redirected to your thread venting about people who want to change the rules. I don’t want to change the rules, if anything I want to change them back to what they were at the start. I don’t care what anyone shoots just because I’m not a fan of mods or the 97 (and I own two of them) they aren’t going away and I know that.

I would in my fantasy like to see any gun or replica from the time period up to 1900 be legal and that includes double action revolvers and possibly the rare semi auto made before 1900. I would even include rifles such as the 1895 Winchester as long as it was loaded down to safe levels that would not damage targets or endanger anyone. But this is just my fantasy opinion and nothing else."

Hello HTH,

Please explain what you think the rules were "at the start. I've been shooting my '97 since 1999 and Hubby shot her since 1991 (before bestowing her on me).

Also, you want to get rid of '97 SGs yet you think DAs should be allowed in the SINGLE ACTION Shooting Society. Maybe you could explain how a pre 1900 SG would not be okay and a DA revolver would.

Regards,

Allie Mo

If I was King I would Make A Rule ,,,,, That Ya must spend More Hours Shooting Than on da Wire !!!!

B);):P:o:lol::)

An NO Males could BE QUEENS !!!

Jabez Cowboy

"Sure you have a right to disagree with my post, I expected a lot of people would. What I didn’t like was being redirected to your thread venting about people who want to change the rules. I don’t want to change the rules, if anything I want to change them back to what they were at the start. I don’t care what anyone shoots just because I’m not a fan of mods or the 97 (and I own two of them) they aren’t going away and I know that.

I would in my fantasy like to see any gun or replica from the time period up to 1900 be legal and that includes double action revolvers and possibly the rare semi auto made before 1900. I would even include rifles such as the 1895 Winchester as long as it was loaded down to safe levels that would not damage targets or endanger anyone. But this is just my fantasy opinion and nothing else."

Hello HTH,

Please explain what you think the rules were "at the start. I've been shooting my '97 since 1999 and Hubby shot her since 1991 (before bestowing her on me).

Also, you want to get rid of '97 SGs yet you think DAs should be allowed in the SINGLE ACTION Shooting Society. Maybe you could explain how a pre 1900 SG would not be okay and a DA revolver would.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I picked the 1900 cut off to actually legitimize the 97 and the 92. My complaint with it is that they don’t fit the 1890 cut off date that was set by SASS. I also don’t think that the 97 is representative of a gun from the cowboy era. I have nothing against the 97 except that. Like I said I own a pair of them and have had them since long before SASS, in fact for several years one rode in the trunk of my patrol car. As far as wanting to include the DA revolvers they were very period correct.

As far as going back to the original rules of this sport I was referring to all the modifications that were not legal then but are somehow legal now.

And this is what should be the basis for all that followed

“You do not look for ways to create an advantage out of what is or is not stated as a rule or shooting procedure”

My complaint was never that you didn’t agree with what I said but that your response was to direct me to your previous rant which essentially let me know what you felt of my opinion and the opinion of anyone who had a different idea

I picked the 1900 cut off to actually legitimize the 97 and the 92. My complaint with it is that they don't fit the 1890 cut off date that was set by SASS. I also don't think that the 97 is representative of a gun from the cowboy era. I have nothing against the 97 except that. Like I said I own a pair of them and have had them since long before SASS, in fact for several years one rode in the trunk of my patrol car. As far as wanting to include the DA revolvers they were very period correct.

As far as going back to the original rules of this sport I was referring to all the modifications that were not legal then but are somehow legal now.

And this is what should be the basis for all that followed

"You do not look for ways to create an advantage out of what is or is not stated as a rule or shooting procedure"

My complaint was never that you didn't agree with what I said but that your response was to direct me to your previous rant which essentially let me know what you felt of my opinion and the opinion of anyone who had a different idea

The cutoff date is 1899 - not 1890

From the handbook:

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a multifaceted amateur shooting sport in which contestants

compete with firearms typical of those used in the taming of the Old West: single action

revolvers; lever action rifles; and side by side double barreled, pre-1899 pump, or lever action

shotguns. The shooting competition is staged in a unique, characterized, Old West style.

So the 97 shotgun and the 92 rifle are perfectly fine.

I picked the 1900 cut off to actually legitimize the 97 and the 92. My complaint with it is that they don’t fit the 1890 cut off date that was set by SASS.

Where did you get 1890?

I also don’t think that the 97 is representative of a gun from the cowboy era.

This game isn't just about the Cowboy Era...hence, B-Western. You fail to see that this is a GAME...not REALITY...NOT PERIOD CORRECT...NOT REINACTMENT...

As far as wanting to include the DA revolvers they were very period correct.

And you think that DA's ARE representative of the Cowboy Era? Hmmmmmm...now I'm confused.

We're they legal when you JOINED SASS???? Again, honestly, check out NCOWS.

And this is what should be the basis for all that followed “You do not look for ways to create an advantage out of what is or is not stated as a rule or shooting procedure”

This as to do with Shooting a STAGE...Oy! Heck, Ropers create an advantage...Holsters can create an advantage...Again, OY!!!

My complaint was never that you didn’t agree with what I said but that your response was to direct me to your previous rant which essentially let me know what you felt of my opinion and the opinion of anyone who had a different idea

Why insult by calling someone's post a RANT? Most folks feel that their Rant is correct...therefore the oppossing Rant would be wrong.

<_<

The cutoff date is 1899 - not 1890

From the handbook:

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a multifaceted amateur shooting sport in which contestants

compete with firearms typical of those used in the taming of the Old West: single action

revolvers; lever action rifles; and side by side double barreled, pre-1899 pump, or lever action

shotguns. The shooting competition is staged in a unique, characterized, Old West style.

So the 97 shotgun and the 92 rifle are perfectly fine.

As is the 1894 under that sentence, but in other literature they state the time period as being post civil war until 1890. That time difference is of course minimal enough to overlook. My point was if the 97 is legal shouldn’t all firearms from that period also be legal?

As is the 1894 under that sentence, but in other literature they state the time period as being post civil war until 1890. That time difference is of course minimal enough to overlook. My point was if the 97 is legal shouldn't all firearms from that period also be legal?

...of course the 94 is legal too (that's the rifle I started SASS with) - I only mentioned the 87 and 92 'cause of your reference -....but the time period as I ALWAYS have understood it is up to 1899.

What other literature are you referring too?

If I was the SASS CEO, I'd put someone else in charge and take a permanent vacation!

Y'all don't actually want me running anything, do ya??! :lol:

Scruffy McC

Why insult by calling someone's post a RANT? Most folks feel that their Rant is correct...therefore the oppossing Rant would be wrong.

<_<

I picked the 1900 cut off to actually legitimize the 97 and the 92. My complaint with it is that they don’t fit the 1890 cut off date that was set by SASS.

Where did you get 1890?

I’m probably wrong on that one, I seem to remember reading is some SASS literature that the time period was post Civil War until 1890

This game isn't just about the Cowboy Era...hence, B-Western. You fail to see that this is a GAME...not REALITY...NOT PERIOD CORRECT...NOT REINACTMENT...

I am well aware that we are not reinactors and I for sure understand that this is only a game. That has nothing to do with the fact that I don’t see the 97 as a cowboy gun.

And you think that DA's ARE representative of the Cowboy Era? Hmmmmmm...now I'm confused.

What gun was Billy The Kid known for carrying? Hint ity wasn’t a peacemaker

Uh not interested in NCOWS

Uh not interested in NCOWS

Are you sure?

DA revolvers - small further out targets - no short strokes.

Sounds like all the things that I see you supporting in your posts are NCOWS.

Check 'em out.

You might find a shooting game that is more to your liking.

If I were CEO

Lugers in Wildbunch

Broomhandles (with or without stocks of course)they were from 1896.

No short strokes

no fast leather

everybody would get along

no arguing,

hey...it is MY fantasy.

Where did you get 1890?

And this is what should be the basis for all that followed “You do not look for ways to create an advantage out of what is or is not stated as a rule or shooting procedure”

This as to do with Shooting a STAGE...Oy! Heck, Ropers create an advantage...Holsters can create an advantage...Again, OY!!!

<_<

Well said, Phantom! :) Ouch! :blink: or is it "Oy"!! :lol:

1. Get rid RP go to Total Time Scoring.

2. Change caliber restrictions on Classic Cowboy to any .40 and larger Caliber in use before 1885.

3. Allow anyone 17 or younger to shoot free at state and above matches.

4. Create FCGF, Outlaw and Josey Wales categories.

5. Rotate the Convention between Las Vegas, Branson and Pigeon Forge.

Yes, Henry ye are wrong and yer rememberer has let you down. Never been any SASS literature with that 1890 date.

Always been 1899.

Always.

I stand humbly corrected. Thank You

I said membership prices already. "The rent is too damn high!" :lol:

Now, from another topic of discussion I recently learned about 5 in 1 blank cartridges. I would definitely ban the use of these in all or any matches. If it ain't made specifally to fit the gun it don't belong in there. "Close-enough" is never "good-enough" when safety is the first priority. Just because the movie industry uses those things is no excuse for people on a shooting range or horseback to do questionable movie tricks, or better; "Kids-don't try this at home!" ;)

Bodine

Now, from another topic of discussion I recently learned about 5 in 1 blank cartridges. I would definitely ban the use of these in all or any matches. If it ain't made specifally to fit the gun it don't belong in there. "Close-enough" is never "good-enough" when safety is the first priority. Just because the movie industry uses those things is no excuse for people on a shooting range or horseback to do questionable movie tricks, or better; "Kids-don't try this at home!" ;)

Bodine

5 in 1 blanks were called that because they originally were used in 38-40 rifles/pistols, 44-40 rifles/pistols and .45 Colt revolvers. I believe they can now be used in .44 Mag and .410 shotguns. They are safe if the firearm used is in good repair, and except for a couple of actors killing themselves with self inflicted contact wounds have a very good safety record.

Bodine

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. ^_^

Archived