SASS Wire Forum

If you were SASS CEO

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 97 would be history and any revolver, shotgun, or cartridge firing rifle made before 1890 and copies there of would be legal.

Would not this do away with the Winchster 1892? Probably one of the most common rifles used in SASS? Not to mention the most common one used in classic Westerns?

Why do that?

Hmmm...

Real time for all sanctioned matches

Bring back Modern and it would be the only class with 97s in it. Along with Adustable sighted revolvers, non period rifles, etc.

No caliber restrictions in Classic Cowboy

No age catagories at all!

No overall Winner at State or above

Juniors shoot free

Sell Founders ranch and move back to California (it IS my fantasy after all!)

Wild bunch matches would allow any period suitable firearm, broomhandle mausers, Borchhardts, etc.

Simple is better...

1) Allow the MD to choose between TT or RP scoring at all state or above match levels.

2) No award can cost more than $5.

3) First place catagory winner in each State or above match is automatcially put into a " man/woman Top Gun" catagory that they must shoot in.. for two years.

4) Minimum of five shooters in each catagory at club annuals, State or above matches to be elgible for awards.

Blastmaster

I think the Wild Bunch have done a pretty durn good job of getting us to where we're at, but they have made some mistakes. I can't say I would have done as well and we would have made our own mistakes.

Founders ranch would be sold.

EOT would at Sparta, probably.

I would hire a promoter.

Gun rags would receive articles every month.

Shooting USA, Shooting Gallery and other similar shows would be welcomed with open arms.

Categories rethought and revised.

Total time would be a scoring option.

Allow movement such as western 3 Guns. Get rid of the 97, especially in "B" westerns, unless someone can come up with proof that there was one used by the "Duke", Hoppy, Roy, or Gene in any "B" western picture. The present category name is mis-leading when someone dresses as afore mentioned, then shoots a 97. MT

Sell Founders Ranch.

Negotiate a wonderful deal with a venue that would facilitate a true world class event...which means drawing in large attendence by non-shooters.

Best way to grow the game...

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Yep. That would be step one.

Take my loss and move on.

Would also have a Eastern Championship (the Open in Sparta) and a Western Campionship (Winter Range)

And then let them shoot it out at EOT (Which as above. Would be moved somewhere else.)

Get a MUCH better marketing department.

I load my .44-40 with APP.

I'm ambidextrous enough in both hands.

I can instictively point from the hip.

Therefore Frontier Cartridge Classic Cowboy. Shooting Double Duelist.

Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter and

Frontier Cartridge Outlaw Gunfighter.

Arte et Marte

Ordnancebob

I don't know what I'd do as CEO. Never been one before.

But a far as the "Let's move EOT" suggestions go, EOT is only one event a year and draws a few thousand people. Even if it doubled in size the vast majority of members wouldn't be there. I think the most significant part of SASS is local clubs and monthly shoots. More and better marketing couldn't hurt.

I don't know what I'd do as CEO. Never been one before.

But a far as the "Let's move EOT" suggestions go, EOT is only one event a year and draws a few thousand people. Even if it doubled in size the vast majority of members wouldn't be there. I think the most significant part of SASS is local clubs and monthly shoots. More and better marketing couldn't hurt.

The last EOT in California brought in 25,000 non-shooting (paid) visitors. Lot's of $$ to help fund SASS. Lot's of EXPOSURE to SASS...much easier to get media coverage with those numbers.

None of the suggestions mentioned will mean squat if the game dies...gotta grow...

:FlagAm:

Scrap the categories that we shoot now and have them redone. Fewer categories and less age bracketing. One hand, two hands and both hands, smokeless and BP, ladies and gentlemen. Throw in one for the kids and lets get back to having fun. It truly has become an all out competition, to the point that if a shooter can't win they want a category to "Level the field" a might.

The number of categories is pretty ridiculous - with all the categories today, you can easily place one, two, or three if you want to. I shot FCGF yesterday with a 7 shot 56-50 Spencer, a single shot shotgun, and a pair of 7 1/2" .45 Vaqueros w/255 grain SWC's & full BP warthog loads, placing second from last overall... but 1st in class. :lol: The ironic thing, in light of Goody's post, is FCGF isn't even an official category... but I WANT IT TO BE! :lol::blush:

1)Change date of EOT to later in the season.

2)Make shooters shoot in their age based category.

3)Move the Convention to EOT.

4)Hire a marketing firm in order to recruit younger shooters.

5)Start an open category for those that want to shoot each scenerio any style they wish.

6)Outlaw vertical racks.

LL'

First get rid of Rank Point scoring ....

Then ban "Phantom" from the wire ( for his constant attacks on folks)for 10 years ...

Let WB die

Bring back Modern

Make FCGF offical

Allow Marlin pumps back in the game, 93/97 would be legal ,,, then all the pumps would be outlawed from Any of the blackpowder classes ,Duelist,Gunfighter,and B Western ...

Scrap Wrangler and Cowboy

Change CC to Not allow the use of short-stroked guns put a minium Pf of 110 for cartridge guns in this class . the minium for C&B in this class would be 20gr. Allow GF style

Make a "Modern Cowboy" class with the current CC rules in effect

Jabez Cowboy

I would give PWB a raise (maybe double his salary).

Give Black Harris a new truck.

Hire Phantom to become a Wire Moderator.

Make FCGF a legit category

Shoot more and be on the Wire less. Yep, that would help keep me and alot others happy.

Oh yea, And I surely woudn't use my new powers to harm or show disrepect to anyone!

..........Widder

Well, I've thought about this for a whole day's time now so's I wouldn't just be flyin' off the handle. There is much about S.A.S.S. that is right, much much more than there is wrong.

I have no problem with numerous categories so long as they are participant driven. B-Western and others like it are what I'm talking about. There are obviously enough folks who want it to make it a legitimate category. Different areas of the country have different levels of participation in each of the categories, so what seems odd in the Southeast may well be the most popular in the Northwest. Today I'd ad FCGF because it has the support of a large number of participants nationwide. Next I'd be looking carefully at Outlaw as the next demonstration cat. with an eye on participant level. I might ad that adjustments within existing cat.s would also be on the table. Allowing the Gunfighter discipline in cat.s like Classic Cowboy and Frontiersman makes sense, just like B-Western. Clothing and equipment specific cat.s are already restricted by nature and allowing different shooting styles might encourage even more interest and greater participation.

The marketing department or the agency responsible for marketing would be instructed to work with all relevant publications with news letters and monthly articles promoting and explaining our game for those who haven't been exposed to what we do and how we do it. They would also be charged with the task of getting expanded coverage on ALL sports news and outdoor sports networks and particularly those high profile shows that draw the attention of the larger youth markets. Working more closely with manufacturers and equipment suppliers to promote our mutual interests would be mandatory. A successful promotion company should be sought and hired.

As far as Founder's Ranch goes, it is a great idea, just executed in the wrong place. A more population centric location would be my choice. It would also be a prime requisite that access and lodging be really high priorities. An alternate possibility would be a rotating EOT that was held at different venues around the country where access and facilities were available to put on the best show possible. As an addendum to the shooting of matches, S.A.S.S. should do more to support the local clubs and monthly matches, and a study group or something should be set up to facilitate aid in publicity and support without meddling in the daily affairs of the clubs.

Wild Bunch shooting should be separated farther from single action shooting and should include more examples of period firearms, particularly handguns. This would be the place for DA revolvers and the like.

For me personally, I have no problem with the pump shotguns in S.A.S.S. and I'd bring back the Marlin and the Winchester '93 pump shotguns. They fit the period discription, and you can shoot what you want so you should let others have the same option. I like 'em all!!

Scoring systems are a sore subject, but I don't have a problem with either of the two most used systems overall. One point here that should be made is that perhaps each category should be scored seperately if rank points are used. YES!! the overall men's and lady's winners should be recognised and awards for those should be given at all state or above matches. Local monthlies are on their own as that is only fair.

This next one is slightly personal. There should be no vendor fees at any regional or above match. These folks, some of them very small and working on a small budget, shouldn't have to spend the money to transport and display their wares, pay for lodging, in many cases also participate in the actual match, often donate merchandise for prizes, and then have to pay for a space to do so. If a vendor wants to and can afford to pay to have their name on a stage or a side match or the like that's fine. If you want to restrict the number of vendors or the types of vendors, that is understandable, but to discourage a small vendor from participating because he or she cant spare the funds for a "space" is kind of like restricting trade.

FINALLY!

:lol::lol: Give Jabez a category all to himself, so he'll shut up about short strokes and power factors!! :lol::lol: "It's a joke son!! A joke I say!!"

B) Make Widdowmaker Hill a permanent advisor! :FlagAm:

:o Award myself a "golden parachute" severance package then retire and go shoot somewhere every weekend! :lol:

4th. Allow 38/357 rifle in Wild Bunch with 158gr min bullet as long as it meets the power factor.

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

+1

I'd love to shoot Wild Bunch, but I can't justify spending $1,300 on another rifle. This sport is expensive enough. If you can make power factor with a .38, what's the big deal?

I know- it's their game and their rules... but that is a crappy attitude if you are trying to grow a sport.

If WB is to remain seperate it futher from the Main matches ...

Allow 97s ,93s and marlin pumps in 10,12 and 16 gauges ...

Allow Non-toggle link guns in .38 / 357 caliber to be used provided they make the power factor ... (some of the mods done to 66s and 73 make them Questionable as to their saftey with loads of this power level in .38 )

BD ; I don't think it too much to ask to allow those that don't like /use short-strokes ONE class to compete in ....

Jabez Cowboy

If I were CEO then I would be Super Moderator and by hook or by crook, not matter how long it took...

Get over it!!

...the term Old Model Vaquero would disappear from the Wire!!

HAR!

Do away with R.P., bring back modern, cut back on all the categories, go back toward some skill stages in each match instead of just speed like the Texas star stage/hopsing laundry. Add some rules like you can only pull 2 shotgun shells at a time, what good is it to limit loading to 2 shells but allow people to pull 4 at a time and single load. Have a power factor to do away with primer powered 32's etc.

Guest Texas Jack Black

Go back in time just when SASS made the fatal mistake in hiring the so called PR man .and start from there with new ideas.OH and make me and Phantom wire moderators. :)

Go back in time just when SASS made the fatal mistake in hiring the so called PR man .and start from there with new ideas.OH and make me and Phantom wire moderators. :)

Sorri TJB, but Phantom is Borg and he likes to work alone.

Besides, I couldn't afford both of you. :D:o

..........Widder

Guest Texas Jack Black

Sorri TJB, but Phantom is Borg and he likes to work alone.

Besides, I couldn't afford both of you. :D:o

..........Widder

We could do a reverse assimilation on Phantom and get him to work for free :)

TJB: now thats funny. Problem is, I like the man just like he is. We need more Borgs!

Shucks, I would no more want to change him as I would want to change you.

Have a good day. And find somebody to share a smile with.. :)

..........Widder

If I could change things around....lets see now.

How's about starting with (1) "The Shooters" being the priority. Lower fees would attract more shooters and more shooters equal more interest in the game.

(2) Then How's about the "Vendors" Lower fees.... would that attract more vendors.

(3) How's about attracting more folks that might be interested in joining the sport.

(4) How's about less confusing rules and just less rules. My undies fit just fine so leave

them alone. :blush::wacko::blink:

Well, I think you get where I'm going with this. Our economy is such that the little folks

are being forced to stay at home and making it more attractive to them would benefit all concerned. Don't you think? :blush:

Happy trails

QDG

Allow FFL Dealers that are SASS Members in good standing to sell cowboy guns that everyone on the Wire is looking for and want without discrimination!

Would help the general membership buy their cowboy guns at reduced prices(SASS members would receive discounts off of MSRP), and make it easier to find certain hard to find cowboy firearms(Some new members have no idea where to purchase their firearms and which dealers are reliable and honest!)..It is a disservice to the SASS membership NOT to allow SASS member Dealers to sell on the SASS Classifieds

Would not this do away with the Winchster 1892? Probably one of the most common rifles used in SASS? Not to mention the most common one used in classic Westerns?

Why do that?

Yes it would and darn I shoot several 92's including an original 38/40 soI might need to reconsider that one or up the time period a few years to like maybe 1900. I miht also allow rifles in rifle caliber to be used if they were loaded to a safe level that would not damage targets or endanger anyone

Frist off, I would change the name wrangler back to Traditional.

2nd, change all state, regional and above matches to total time scoring.

Re-do wildbunch match rules to copy much closer to standard sass cowboy match rules.

3GC

Scrap the categories that we shoot now and have them redone. Fewer categories and less age bracketing. One hand, two hands and both hands, smokeless and BP, ladies and gentlemen. Throw in one for the kids and lets get back to having fun. That's what I started this for, was to have some fun with a bunch of old and new friends. It truly has become an all out competition, to the point that if a shooter can't win they want a category to "Level the field" a might. Just get out there and shoot, be proud for the winners cause it will mean something again. Leave your stress and worries in the front seat of your car.

+!

I'd take the complications out of SASS matches. Take it back to 1995 levels like it was when I joined SASS. Modern, Traditional, Junior, add Buckaroo, Senior, Elder Statesman, men's, ladies. 40 cal & above, below 40 cal. Costume based categories would be judged only on appearance, not shooting abilities. Wild Bunch matches would be held seperately, or as a side match.

Archived