SASS Wire Forum

If you were SASS CEO

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do away with rank point scoring.I dont really understand it anyway.I dont care how it is scored,I dont win anyway, but it sure would stop all the bickering on the wire.

First and foremost I would ONLY use my power for Good. Sometime mine own good but generally for good.

I would:

a) create a category for ANY firearm be it double, semi-auto or single-action manufactured before 1900.

B) allow the Marlin Pump shotgun as there isn't enough difference between it and the 1897 to honesty spit over.

c) convince Uberti to build a break-top DA S&W (Frontier?) and a COLT DA 1878.

d) convince Hulbert & Merwin manufacturers to sell their revolvers at Ruger Vacquero prices.

e) include Cowboy Fast Draw competitions in SASS.

f) order everyone to add "tator" whenever they refer to me as "SASS' benevolent dic" ;)

Scrap the categories that we shoot now and have them redone. Fewer categories and less age bracketing. One hand, two hands and both hands, smokeless and BP, ladies and gentlemen. Throw in one for the kids and lets get back to having fun. That's what I started this for, was to have some fun with a bunch of old and new friends. It truly has become an all out competition, to the point that if a shooter can't win they want a category to "Level the field" a might. Just get out there and shoot, be proud for the winners cause it will mean something again. Leave your stress and worries in the front seat of your car.

I don't like Rank Scoring, I don't like the attitude that anything east of California is a no man's land and I don't like people trying to change the best thing going in the shooting sports.

I'd keep most everything the same as it is, 'cept rank scoring.

Oh and I'd hold the US championships in the middle of the country. Sparta, Il would be a good start.

Remove all support for "Wild Bunch" shooting and allow it to die on it's own.

Oh boy!

1. Change from RP to Total Time Scoring at major matches. Still allow clubs to do as they wish.
  2. Give vendors at the Convention and EOT a price break if they have vended before.
  3. Cut fees to all vendors to encourage more participation at the Convention and EOT.
  4. Post results from mini matches at EOT (Wild Bunch, Plainsman, Warm Up).
  5. Allow anyone 17 or younger to shoot free at state and above matches.
  6. Eliminate age-based shooting style categories, for example Senior Duelist. These folks can either shoot age-based or Duelist. Some of our best shooters are Seniors. They don't need age-based and shooting-style protection. :ph34r:
  7. Change age-based categories from an open upper end to a set age span. For example, allow only shooters 18-35 to shoot Cowboy/Cowgirl, 36-48 shoot Wrangler... I think they are a joke as they are. :ph34r:
  8. Allow GF style to be shot in age-based categories.
  9. Create FCGF category.

That's all I can think of right now.

Regards,

Allie Mo

All in all I think SASS as a whole is great deal and helluva lota fun :) . However if I could I would make a few minor changes.

1st. I'd do away with Rank scoring, even thoose who defend it admit it is a flawed system. Or at least give regional and above matches the option to use TT if they choose. I'm sure there are more than one regional that would use TT if allowed.

2nd. Develop a program to promote, encourage, and recruite young new shooters.

3rd. Go back to 600fps min.

4th. Allow 38/357 rifle in Wild Bunch with 158gr min bullet as long as it meets the power factor.

5th. Add FCGF by revamping the categories. Duelist, FCD,...etc...could be subdivided to senior depending on min amount of shootes or at MD discretion. This would eleminate Wrangler and the 5 year break in seniors, making room for FCGF while reducing the number of categories.

Categories

Junior under 16, could be subdivided with Buckaroo

Young Guns 16-29

Cowboy 30-up

49er 49-59

Senior 60-up

Sliver/Elder Statesman 70-up

Duelist

FCD

FC

GF

FCGF

CC

B-Western

Frontiersman

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Guest diablo slim shootist

Scrap the categories that we shoot now and have them redone. Fewer categories and less age bracketing. One hand, two hands and both hands, smokeless and BP, ladies and gentlemen. Throw in one for the kids and lets get back to having fun. That's what I started this for, was to have some fun with a bunch of old and new friends. It truly has become an all out competition, to the point that if a shooter can't win they want a category to "Level the field" a might. Just get out there and shoot, be proud for the winners cause it will mean something again. Leave your stress and worries in the front seat of your car.

:);) +1

Sell Founders Ranch.

Negotiate a wonderful deal with a venue that would facilitate a true world class event...which means drawing in large attendence by non-shooters.

Best way to grow the game...

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Sell Founders Ranch.

Negotiate a wonderful deal with a venue that would facilitate a true world class event...which means drawing in large attendence by non-shooters.

Best way to grow the game...

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Hi Phantom,

I like that idea. Sparta has the venue. It is a match director's dream with all the work Illinois state employees do to help. Unfortunately, it is somewhat far from any sizeable towns (St. Louis is about an hour away). However, with the right advertising, ticket selling in advance, hiring a bus, that could work. I think the Marketing Director should look into this for EOT where it is now too.

You must go to Sparta sometime. I highly recommend the US Open!

Regards,

Allie Mo

good post Goody. let me add...do away with target distance/size rules. After 24 years in cas I now shoot maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I see that slowing down even more.....Goody's direction would help bring me back to more matches.

How about we elect Goody to head up anew sport...SASF...shooting action shooting fun...

I'd have the rules rewritten to form a single rule book.

And have a handbook that is advisory.

And have updates to the rule book that are kept current no more secret rules/rulings.

Following Phantom's idea i would get a property that could have water and electricity for RVers. It would be close to a city with pro-gun attitude and a useful airport.

I would create a category that would use one pistol, rifle and shotgun, without reload.

First thing I would DO is realize that now I could see the whole organization, having seen it from the customer end, would take my time to learn it from the back end. Once I knew what I was talking about (we on the front end really don't), I might consider some changes......

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::unsure::unsure::unsure:

i may be missing something here. i thought the 600fps was a minimum requirement used in conjuction with the 60power factor.

how about sume updates hetre

The minimum standard for center-fire ammunition used in all smokless categories in all

SASS matches State, Regional, National, International, and World Championship

Competitions is not less than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than

400 fps.

Page twelve.

I think I would invest in professional marketing in some carefully selected periodicals and media venues. If Cowboys comes back on the Outdoor Channel I would make sure SASS is a sponser.

I would invest a significant amount of revenue in 2 or 3 top level intertainers for EoT. Peaches O'Day and the Parlor Girls, Ted Knapp, etc...

Allow ANY guns of a pre-1900 design to be used in our sport in their most logical setting.

Proviso 1: If it is felt that original manufacture firearms are "unsafe," allow only modern reproductions that address these issues

Proviso 2: Use of period DA Revolvers and/or the Broomhandle Mauser would require a category specifically for them. Perhaps only in a sidematch.

The concept of doing away with "overall winner" and only recognizing caregory winners would be seriously discussed. (If the discussion determines it's not a good idea, it would not be done, but I feel the debate should be had)

Since modern design rifles and pistols that did not exist in the time period but which evoke the spirit of the old designs are allowed, I would extend this allowance to shotguns.

Allow on the clock magazine stoking of repeating shotguns.

Allow Mare's Leg type pistols (or even reproduction Volcanics if anyone ever makes one) to be used as a main match pistols. Probably in a catagory that allows for two handed grip.

Explore the concept of adding a 'rifle cartidge' rifle to the main match sequence. That is to say Winchester 76, 86, 94, 95, comparable Marlins, (sorry not enough of an expert to name the models) Savage 99, US Krag rifle, and other such pre-1900 guns that may qualify. Could either be a 5th gun on every stage, just one, or a substitute 4th on 1 stage. This is a change that I think should be discussed and explored. It should only be done if, after extensive research and trial, it seems practical to do so. If the research indicates not, then it would not be done.

Make the offical Wild Bunch rules the way a lot of clubs did it (and some that still do) before the offical rules were adopted. ANY firearms of 1918 or earlier manufacture/design in all three gun types.

HK, as usual I don't like any of those ideas. Not that any of them have a snowball's chance. Unless of course you actually did get to be king of SASS. What you propose wouldn't be CAS as the rest of us know it and love it, but I guess it's your fantasy and ye are free to dream of it...

First thing I would do is immediately legalize the 93/97.

Then...

Goody's got a big jump down the right track, but I gotta add: Bring back Modern & Traditional. Make ANY firearm used determine category. Cut-off is 1890. ANY firearm whose design is post-1890 is a Modern Category-only firearm. I'd like to get rid of short-strokes, but as that's impractical, let's just say if you've changed the functioning to a post 1890 design, you're now a Modern category shooter. But, wait a sec... that's adding back in more categories. It doesn't really matter as long as you're having fun.

But, in reality do you think you could get the rest of the BOD to go along with your suggestions?

HK, as usual I don't like any of those ideas. Not that any of them have a snowball's chance. Unless of course you actually did get to be king of SASS. What you propose wouldn't be CAS as the rest of us know it and love it, but I guess it's your fantasy and ye are free to dream of it...

First thing I would do is immediately legalize the 93/97.

Then...

Well, this is a fantasy posting, so why not? :)

I did make my two most "radical" ideas only be ones that would be discussed, and not neccesarily implemented because, well, they are rather radical.

But, I do have to point out that my other suggestions would among other htings, legalize the 93/97. :)

For the record, I actually do think that the "main match" is pretty much okay as is. I'd be prefectly happy leaving it as is, but see nothing wrong with adding more things in the side match area.

I would:

1) Require Total Time scoring at regionals and above.

2) Advertise/promote SASS a hell of a lot more. Right now, there is very little promotion of SASS outside of SASS.

3) If feasible and finacially possible, develop a SASS/CAS video game for the major game systems.

4) Include a "how to" video with every new membership. Video would include, but not be limited to, general safety procedures, posse duties, loading/unloading table

procedures and other items.

5) Eliminate some aged based categories. Add Outlaw and Senior Gunfighter as official categories.

6) Provide links on the SASS website to SASS affiliated vendors, gunsmiths and gunstores. Owners must be SASS members in good standing.

7) Go with Phantom's idea and locate (my idea) the World's to a central part of the country.

8) Rotate the U.S. Nationals on a yearly basis. Divide the country into 4 zones; N.E., S.E., N.W. and S.W.

9) Permit the .357/38 rifle in Wild Bunch as long as power factor maintained.

10) Find a way to address my customer's concerns. I know it would be impossible to respond to each individual person or question, but I feel to run a business

successfully......you need to talk to (and thank) the people buying your product.

Cypress Sun, CEO

IMHO, the following would be done:

1. Change from RP to Total Time Scoring at major matches.

2. Create FCGF category.

3. Give vendors at the Convention and EOT a price break if they have vended before.

4. Allow anyone 17 or younger to shoot free at state and above matches.

5. Encourage clubs to not be hung up on categories. Let folks mix and match age and shooting style; the more the better.

6. Change age-based categories from an open upper end to a set age span. For example, allow only shooters 18-35 to shoot Cowboy/Cowgirl, 36-48 shoot Wrangler...

7. Add more age-based categories on the upper end, say every 5 to 7 years or so all the way to 100.

8. Move the convention and EOT to the middle of the USA--like what was said for the USOpen.

Allow ANY guns of a pre-1900 design to be used in our sport in their most logical setting.

Separate them out based on their operation.

Allow on the clock magazine stoking of repeating shotguns.

Not necessarily a bad idea. When I used to (shhh... practice), if both started with empty guns, I could still beat a pump, even thru a 16 shot shotgun stage. (Witnesses to prove it are still around also).

Allow Mare's Leg type pistols (or even reproduction Volcanics if anyone ever makes one) to be used as a main match pistols. Probably in a catagory that allows for two handed grip.

.40 Caliber Reproduction Volcanic Since it pretty much requires two hands to operate these models... probably leaves 'em out of the Duelist and Gunfighter categories!:ph34r: (Sorry, couldn't resist that cheap shot).

Set up a Non-Profit with a BOD elected by Member Clubs

The current owners license the logo, rules, etc to the non-profit. And maintain contract for End of Trail

Current Owners would potentially make more money, Member Clubs would manage the sport.

Best way for current Owners to move to retirement, while maintaining the Spirit of the Sport and income stream for the future.

The 97 would be history and any revolver, shotgun, or cartridge firing rifle made before 1890 and copies there of would be legal.

Any mods but simple action jobs and sight correction would not be legal.

Targets would be further out and smaller.

The old adage if you have to ask, it probably isn’t legal would be followed.

The 97 would be history and any revolver, shotgun, or cartridge firing rifle made before 1890 and copies there of would be legal.

Any mods but simple action jobs and sight correction would not be legal.

Targets would be further out and smaller.

The old adage if you have to ask, it probably isn’t legal would be followed.

The topic is CEO of SASS...not NCOWS.

:wacko:

The topic is CEO of SASS...not NCOWS.

:wacko:

Isn’t it amazing that any opinion that doesn’t agree with yours gets denigrated. I paid my dues and I have every right to share my views without your small minded smart ass coments.

Archived