SASS Wire Forum

1895CB Marbles tang sight

Three Foot Johnson

I picked one of THESE sights for my newly acquired 1895 Cowboy, along with a standard upright, as I thought the short upright would not be tall enough, even when combined with the SHORTEST WILLIAMS FRONT SIGHT I could find. Imagine my surprise to find out that this particular sight does not have interchangeable upright capability, but that's another story altogether. I installed the sight and thought it seemed sloppy as all hell, so I unscrewed the little bearing retainer plug thingy and dumped the bearings out into a small box. Imagine my surprise (again) when I found there were only THREE o' them little balls in there...? I pulled the plug on the standard upright I ordered and found it contained seven, but still had plenty of room for one more. So... I put EIGHT of the little buggers back in the aforelinked tang sight, reassembled it, and all works fine now. Whaddya suppose happened? Someone bought the sight, took it apart, lost half the bearings in their carpet, put it back together and returned it so I could buy it?? Anyway, the rifle is pretty amazing - I haven't found anything it won't shoot well; some loads are better than others, of course, but everything I've tried has been under 2 1/2" for 5 shots at 100 yards, with most of them around 1 3/4".

Anybody have any #7 1/2 steel shot? I could use 8 or so pellets... :P Midway has 'em for $1.69 per, and it might be just as well to avoid the hassle of returning the sight upright and add 8 of them onto my next order.

I picked one of THESE sights for my newly acquired 1895 Cowboy, along with a standard upright, as I thought the short upright would not be tall enough, even when combined with the SHORTEST WILLIAMS FRONT SIGHT I could find. Imagine my surprise to find out that this particular sight does not have interchangeable upright capability, but that's another story altogether. I installed the sight and thought it seemed sloppy as all hell, so I unscrewed the little bearing retainer plug thingy and dumped the bearings out into a small box. Imagine my surprise (again) when I found there were only THREE o' them little balls in there...? I pulled the plug on the standard upright I ordered and found it contained seven, but still had plenty of room for one more. So... I put EIGHT of the little buggers back in the aforelinked tang sight, reassembled it, and all works fine now. Whaddya suppose happened? Someone bought the sight, took it apart, lost half the bearings in their carpet, put it back together and returned it so I could buy it?? Anyway, the rifle is pretty amazing - I haven't found anything it won't shoot well; some loads are better than others, of course, but everything I've tried has been under 2 1/2" for 5 shots at 100 yards, with most of them around 1 3/4".

Anybody have any #7 1/2 steel shot? I could use 8 or so pellets... :P Midway has 'em for $1.69 per, and it might be just as well to avoid the hassle of returning the sight upright and add 8 of them onto my next order.

Steel bearing balls from a WELL stocked hardwarwe store? Yours. Nota John

Archived