SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550B

J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526

I know someone that has a used Dillon 550B for sale. What is a reasonable price to pay for a used 550B and what parts are prone to wear or failure. I was told the round count was in the 6,000 range.

Dillon’s warranty and service is great, I have a Square Deal that I purchased a few years ago. It was an older press. I did put some money in safety upgrades, basically to bring it up to the SDB version. Found out through trial and error that it did have some excessive wear on some parts; I had trouble with consistent primer seating. Dillon customer service decided that it was time to send the press in for a warranty rebuild. It was like a new press when I received it back from Dillon.

Looking back considering the purchase price, some safety upgrades and frustration of getting it up to par, it probably would have been easier just buying new. Would like to try avoiding making the same mistakes on this press.

Any advise is welcome.

Thank you,

JSS

6000 rounds count is 1 weekend worth of reloading, so it's almost NEW. If you can get it for $200 or $250, I would buy it. You can always use a second one...1 for large primers...1 for small primers. Just sayin'

Big Jake

6000 rounds count is 1 weekend worth of reloading, so it's almost NEW. If you can get it for $200 or $250, I would buy it. You can always use a second one...1 for large primers...1 for small primers. Just sayin'

Big Jake

+1

If the price is fair heck... go for it!

It's been my observation over the years that used Dillons sell on Ebay and Craig's list for almost the same amount as new ones.

At any rate, you can't go wrong!

Thank you for the feedback on the price. I do understand that Dillon will come through on the press for worn and broken parts. That one reason their products are so desirable.

The guy that has the press told me that he put about 6,000 rounds through it and the prior owner only used it for a hundred or so. Not knowing who the original owner is, I cannot be certain of the count. What are the first parts to show wear or cause trouble from wear and tear? I know what to look for on the SDB now but not on the 550B.

He also has 2 sets of dies, don’t know if they are Dillon or not, an extra powder measure too. What is a good factor to calculate a used price on these items? 50% or 60% of list price? 75% of list?

Thank you,

JSS

I bought a new, demonstrator that'd been set up but was missing some parts (large primer feed) for $200 w/.38Spl dies. I still know I got a bargain. Unlike used guns or cars, it ain't all about condition, as your warranty will correct any problems. Enjuoy the new versatility with your 550B.

I have a 550B that I bought used about 10 years ago. It had the old style link arms that did not have grease holes. It finally sized up after a couple of years. Dillon said: "Send it in.: I said send me parts. Got new link arms, bushings, link arm pin, removal tool, alignment tool, etc. Fixed it myself in an hour. I now know how to disassemble and reassemble it. I just keep it greased and it keeps on chugging. I probably load 8K rounds annually.

Recommend buying the spare parts kit for $20 or so. When a minor part breaks, you have it. Just call Dillon for a replacement for your kit. Replace the used primer cup cotter pin with a safety pin. Thats it.

Used prices vary, but 70% is a good target.

6000 rounds?

Dies?

--------------

On the round count. I load 2000 rounds every day on my Dillon. Yes, I break and wear out some parts. A phone call replaces them. Sent one press in to be rebuilt. The frame had so much wear that it was replaced. This press was about 10 years old when I sent it in. 6000 rounds or 10,000 rounds, that's just broke in to me.

Dies. I don't use Dillon dies. I have Lee & RCBS on my Dillon presses. There may even be some other brands.

I lost my small primer "stuff" in the course of some moving. I called Dillon and the guy said that if I got a whole new arm, along with the cup, spring, etc,

I could save time changing and why didn't he send me one at no charge. This was Friday, it arrived Monday.

ps: I had a slew of dies when I bought mine. I know there are Hornaday, RCBS, Lee and, I think, Redding on my shelf. Don't know what's on my press. I know

RCBS and Lee, for sure.

This spring a shooting pard and I took a trip south for 5 weeks of shooting.On our way back north we stopped at Dillon's shop and took a tour.Really nice folks btw.We saw a few reloaders that looked like they had been used for boat anchors.I asked how are you going to fix those.I was told they were beyond repair so new ones had been sent to the owners.That's service in my book.

I have a 550B that I bought used about 10 years ago. It had the old style link arms that did not have grease holes.

Uh... Grease holes...? :huh:

Where are these grease holes...? Reckon mine's an old stye... :mellow:

Good advice on the "spare parts kit!"

I"m not sure I've had to replace but one part on my 15 year old 550b,the small square piece of plastic that helps operate the powder measure.Heck,I prolly just 'misplaced' it somehow,knowinig me..:rolleyes:

make sure you get the changeover kits,they are kind of spendy.

as to price,they hold their value even in the used market,so I'd think about 70% would be fair if it's clean looking and ready to rock and roll.

I want to thank everyone for their opinions and feedback, it is all helpful.

We met at the range today, he was shooting a USPSA match and I never saw one. I stayed around to watch some of the match, met a number of nice shooters, told them about CAS. Some may even stop over to see a cowboy match sometime. It did look fun to me, but I still like cowboy shooting with more guns and the stages we shoot have more character to them.

I did see the press and what he had today, per his post on another site, I thought he had two complete quick change setups for 38 Special & 45ACP with tool head plate, powder measures, powder dies with powder funnel, along with shell plate and buttons. The way I read it, I thought there may be two complete priming systems, for small and large primers.

Basically he had the 550B setup as sold by Dillon with one tool head, one powder measure (older model w/o fail safe setup) along with a second caliber conversion kit minus the three buttons. The priming system seemed to be all there, he did have large and small primer seating cups. Included were 38/357 and 45 ACP dies.

He came down to $400 and I was at $300, so I did not get this press. I thought it was a good deal at his asking price of $450 if there were two complete powder and primer setups. It all came out well, I did purchase the 38/357 caliber conversion and the 38/357 dies from him, got them for about half price.

I do already have a 550 that I purchased from another shooter a while ago. He lost the primer system and powder measure to a tenant he had that cannibalized or taken parts for his own use. Anyway, if this deal was indeed what I thought it was, I could acquire the parts that I needed for my existing press and have two complete 550’s, one for small primers and the other for large primers. You win some and lose some.

Posted Today, 01:38 PM

Church Key, SASS # 33713, on 03 September 2011 - 10:12 AM, said:

I have a 550B that I bought used about 10 years ago. It had the old style link arms that did not have grease holes.

Uh... Grease holes...?

Where are these grease holes...? Reckon mine's an old stye...

Good advice on the "spare parts kit!"

The newer link arms (13583 - Left and 13747 - right) have holes drilled through the front of them so you can inject bearing grease in the top for the link arm pins and in the bottom for its link pin. The bottom link arm pin (13700) also has a grease channel in it to move grease through the crank (13409). I have no idea when Dillon changed these, but my upgraded parts where obtained in the early 2000's. Find a local pard who has a newer 550 and you can see it; or let me know and I'll take and post a photo.

Archived