SASS Wire Forum

Buying revolver from England?

Scratch McCoy

I am in talks with a guy in England to possibly buy a pair of Colt SAAs that he has. Has anyone here ever purchase a gun like this from the UK? I know they are illegal for many to own there but he claims to have a Firearms License and he can legally own and sell them. My issue is he is refusing to give me his license number which my FFL has requested. He claims that there is no reason to give this to me. I have a friend over in London whose family owns Hellis Shotguns and he has advised me to get his license number so he can check him out for me.

My question is has anyone on here ever purchased a revolver from the UK from someone with a Firearms License? How was your experience? Did you get the License number beforehand?

Appreciate the help pards!

From what my foggy brain remembers, still early, as of late 90's, ALL HAND GUNS ARE ILLEGAL to have, own or sell by private citizens. They all had to be surrendered to the government. I was stationed there at the time is how I know. My guess, and only a guess, is he has a firearm certificate, not a license. Certificate means he's qualified to own a firearm, in short, a rifle only. They have another certificate for shotguns. Another guess, and again only a guess, is he has allowed his certificate to lapse, ie. did not renew it. If his number is checked, and is found to have lapsed, and he still have these pistols, then he is looking and a lot of jail time. The only other way he could have these pistols would be that they were made inoperative. Read barrels plugged. For those, no paperwork is required. I think there is a song about boots are made for walking. Sounds like very sound advice.

Howdy

Frankly, unless it is a truly outstanding deal, why bother? Too many unknowns, too many potential legal hassles. On top of that, it sounds like the seller is not being very helpful. Can't you find a deal here in the USA that would be easier to complete for about the same money? Even if you have to buy a couple of Colts one at a time?

I am in talks with a guy in England to possibly buy a pair of Colt SAAs that he has. Has anyone here ever purchase a gun like this from the UK? I know they are illegal for many to own there but he claims to have a Firearms License and he can legally own and sell them. My issue is he is refusing to give me his license number which my FFL has requested. He claims that there is no reason to give this to me. I have a friend over in London whose family owns Hellis Shotguns and he has advised me to get his license number so he can check him out for me.

My question is has anyone on here ever purchased a revolver from the UK from someone with a Firearms License? How was your experience? Did you get the License number beforehand?

Appreciate the help pards!

I have never received a gun from Emgland but I have sent guns there. I use an import/export service to do this. They know the in's and out's to get it done. If you would like their info email me here;

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

From what my foggy brain remembers, still early, as of late 90's, ALL HAND GUNS ARE ILLEGAL to have, own or sell by private citizens.

Not quite. If those single actions were in a caliber that you can't get off the shelf (like .44 Rimfire, for instance), they'd be Antiques.

http://www.marplerifleandpistolclub.org.uk/general/gunlaw.htm

The term "prohibited weapon" covers a multitude of devices including, but not limited to, machine guns, rocket launchers, pepper sprays, semi-automatic and pump-action centrefire rifles, disguised firearms, grenades, torpedoes and "any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30cm in length or is less than 60cm in length overall" (the most common member of this last group is a cartridge loading pistol).

Antiques

Section 58(2) of the 1968 Act exempts from the provisions of the Act - including certificate controls under sections 1 and 2 and prohibition under section 5 - all antique firearms which are sold, transferred, purchased, acquired or possessed as curiosities or ornaments. The word "antique" is not defined in the Act but Home Office guidance on the subject can be summarised briefly as follows:

If modern ready made ammunition can be bought and fired using the weapon it cannot be classed as an antique;

A muzzle loading firearm is antique;

A breech loading firearm using a rim-fire cartridge exceeding .23 (but not 9mm) is antique;

A breech loading firearm using an ignition system other than rim-fire or centre is antique;

A breech loading centre fire firearm originally chambered for cartridges which are now obsolete and retains that original chambering is antique.

However, each case should be dealt with on its merits and advice on individual weapons should be sought from the FSP. The case of R v Burke 67 Cr App R 220 dictates that it is for the Prosecution to prove that the firearm does not come within the ambit of section 58(2) and it is a matter for the jury to decide upon.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/firearms/

Here is some info.....

From an exporters website in the U.K.

Firearms and ammunition exported to the USA are subject to restrictions and import permits approved by the US's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). Applications to import may be made only by or through a licensed importer, dealer, or manufacturer. Weapons, ammunition, or other devices prohibited by the National Firearms Act will not be admitted into the United States unless specifically authorized by ATF.

No import permit is required when it is proven that the firearms or ammunition were previously taken out of the United States by the person who is returning with such firearms or ammunition. To facilitate reentry, persons may have them registered before departing from the United States at any Customs office or ATF field office. Exports from the USA are subject to the export licensing requirements of the Office of Defense Trade Controls, Department of State, Washington, D.C. 20520, (703) 875-6644.

For further information on imports, contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Department of the Treasury, Washington, D.C. 20226. Tel: (202) 927-8320.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Archived