SASS Wire Forum

HOW MANY .44 Russian fans out there?

Adirondack Jack, SASS #53440

MMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I just got my first Uberti Russian out of gun prison today, I loaded a few rounds for it last week so I guess I'll find out if I'm a fan or not real soon.

Willy B'

YUP. I got me one of them Smith & Wesson new model #3's in .44 Russian. Picked it up 'bout 25 years ago from my across the street neighbor. I was his Mailman for 20+ years. It's all original and in about 95% condition. I do shoot it some, bought 250 Starline brass at the first Winter Range back in '92. It will hit a 1 ft. tall, coffin shaped target at 100 yards 6 out of 6 times. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Shoot 44 Russian almost exclusively at matches, usually in Uberti Opentops (Chambered 44 Colt and 44 Special). both smokeless and black. I have 2 Uberti Russians and one original S&W Russian as well, but shoot only black in the S&W. If I shoot any of my 44 Special Colts, it is almost always with 44 Russian ammo.

I thunk on it reeeal hard fer a spell but decided the little cases would be a problem when mixed with the C45S brass. I am actually in the process of getting my last three .44spec cowboy guns ready to sell. This had been my late 1860s persona set which included the '66 Yeller Boy mated with a pair of R/M Conversions. I still have the short carrier I bout to convert the '66 to Russian and just might think on a .45 Henry to use it with now. Iffen you are thinking on a tiny lil lead pellet fer the .44s, well I do still have plenty of 44-40s to feed and the 427 is probably more popular than the 429 fer cowboy now days, do wonder bout the OAL in a toggle link though?

Yup, it's all my S&W Number 3s will shoot. I load it with a .428 Mav-Dutchman bullet. And it does not eat up much Black Powder. A real pleasure to shoot.

I'm shooting the 44 Russian in my sixguns , with BP and Big Lube bullets. DJ is right on as usual , saves on powder. Rifles get 44 Special.

I would love to have a copy of a Smith & Wesson New Model #3 , or a Schofield , in 44 Russian (or 44 Special) , but the ever nagging empty pocket syndrome interferes :lol: .

Keep 'em smokin' , Rex :D

.44 Russian in my Opentops with the Mav Dutchman pills and FFg. Yeehaw.

Or ifn I feel like wastin another grain or so of powder I shoot the .44 Colt rounds.

Ok, here I am at todays match shooting Classic Cowboy with my 19" barreled '73 rifle in .44 Russian, New Model 3 Russians (5" barrels) and Liberty II Hammergun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6rpfUTWrVw

Sarge you ran that pretty good. I don't remember you having the 73 in 44 Russian. Is this a new acquisition? I like it.

I got it back around May, it was a 24" barreled rifle, but you know me and barrels, can't leave anything alone :lol:

I ran that one in 25.10.

They are the best if you want a 44 caliber pistol. The small case volume is Highly efficient with smokeless powder and just right with black powder loads. A good combination with a 44/40 rifle. I suspect the inventor of the 45 apc was thinking 44 Russian.

I am a 44 guy my self .

Im glad to see more 44 guys out there .

Count me in as one more !!!!!!!

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

Perfect black powder round & an authentic Old West cartridge to boot.

Great cartridge!

--Dawg

I got it back around May, it was a 24" barreled rifle, but you know me and barrels, can't leave anything alone :lol:

I ran that one in 25.10.

Sarge

Was your rifle in .44 Spl. and did it require a different elevator for the .44 Russian or do you load to O.A.L. to match the .44 Spl.?

Siesta

Sarge

Was your rifle in .44 Spl. and did it require a different elevator for the .44 Russian or do you load to O.A.L. to match the .44 Spl.?

Siesta

Yes. my rifle was a .44 Special. I used AJ's carrier for the .45 Cowboy. It does require a shorter stop when using the .44 Russian. They have stops for each cartridge so let them know what you're using it for if you decide to convert.

S&W model 3 shooter here. Only use BP in my revolver.

Archived