SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero question

Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

The rest of the world that knows there is no such thing, never has been and can never be anything as an Old Model Vaquero. It is only here on the cowboy boards that the impossible term has taken root.

Well, I got news for you................... I got two of em. :rolleyes:

DJ, why you wanta stick that word "model" in between old and Vaquero. Just say old Vaquero or original Vaquero or big Vaquero and leave the unnecessary word out. Most especially when sticking the word in makes the description technically so SO very VERY wrong. The meaning is quite clear without the unnecessary word. I cannot fathom why cowboys are so dead set on typing 5 extra key strokes. Makes NO sense to me. But then the majority of 'em still insist on typing two "o"s in lose, dontcha?

No, by putting quotes around it I am making the statement that it is my own description. I can put anything I darn want in quotes, and five extra keystrokes are not gonna hurt anybody, much less me. Not a whole lot of electrons burnt up when I type five extra keystrokes. It simply makes it very plain that I mean the old fashioned, big frame, pre-New Vaquero. I believe in blasting away ambiguity whenever possible.

As for loose or lose, nobody types it wrong on purpose, it is simply a very commonly misspelled word.

Well, TR it just seems to me that it would behoove us to appear to be more than a bunch of hayseeds to the rest of the world. The rest of the world that knows there is no such thing, never has been and can never be anything as an Old Model Vaquero. It is only here on the cowboy boards that the impossible term has taken root. When one of our rubes wanders over there and starts blabbing about an Old Model Vaquero he is dogpiled by the pack and set straight. So I don't think it is a done deal that the incorrect inaccurate terminology is going to take root every where else.

Of course, I could be wrong. When I first came to the Wire I thought it was some kind of inside joke as at least 75% of the denizens were typing loose when they meant lose. Made me stop every time, scratch my poor ole punkin haid and go "huh?". Come to find out it warn't no kinda inside snicker, the boys here just think it looks better that way or something, I dunno. Well I never woulda believed it would catch on elsewhere but lo and behold it has. It is rampant world wide now. You see it every day in the comments sections all across the internet. I have even seen it in major publications. Absolutely astounding.

We used to all call old Vaqueros RVs. Remember that? Everybody did it. Then came the NRV and RV almost overnight was replaced here by OMV. It should have been nipped in the bud but instead has become the preferred term. But only here...so far...

I still have hope the impossible term will only fester here.

alas....you will never win this argument - and I have seen it on other forums ;) maybe it's time to let others do what they do in this regard and stop being 'Mr. Correctifier' :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

DJ, I don't think so that nobody types lose wrong on purpose. I think they all do. It's not just a typo or a common misspelling. Because they do it EVERY time. So it has to be on purpose. For some strange reason, loose looks right to them in their mind's eye. It's also a monkey see, monkey do kinda thing. Someone did it first, someone else said to himself that looks right and then another and another so it spread like wildfire and here we are. There is an ever-increasing mis-use of "there" for their and they're and "your" for you're. Not acceptable substitutes but I despair of that trend too not becoming epidemic, as well as to for too.

Gunner, I know it's totally hopeless around these parts. So what. TJ needed a back-up because he is right. I was happy to provide it because it is something I feel strongly about. I don't care how irate anyone on the other side of this dust-up gets. Right is right and I am for right every time. Even if out-numbered 9 gazillion to one. And you're (not your) along with everyone else is wasting their (not there) time telling me to shut up. I fought for the right for each and every one of us to have their (not there) say. And that includes me.

Gunner, I know it's totally hopeless around these parts. So what. TJ needed a back-up because he is right. I was happy to provide it because it is something I feel strongly about. I don't care how irate anyone on the other side of this dust-up gets. Right is right and I am for right every time. Even if out-numbered 9 gazillion to one. And you're (not your) along with everyone else is wasting their (not there) time telling me to shut up. I fought for the right for each and every one of us to have their (not there) say. And that includes me.

right in your own mind is right I reckon :rolleyes:

It is what it is and ya ain't gonna change it ;) ...I ain't wastin' nothin'...you're the one havin' a hernia over it :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

But in the line of work you do (and I do) it only takes 12 on the jury and you've lost your case, arguement or what ever you want to call it. Don't care how personal you take it or what you believe, you lose..... period.

Bein' a Reb and a Nam vet I'm used to losin' (tho we were winnin' when I left). Not to mention the drubbing the judges and lawyers hand out to my team (LEOs) on a daily basis. Dat's ok. I may be out-numbered here but other places all you OMV pards are.

And I ain't havin' no hernia over nothin'.

To avoid offending anybody's "pedanticism";

I have two LARGER FRAME MADE BEFORE THE CURRENT RUGER OFFERING Vaqueros in 44 magnum with 4 5/8" barrels.

Let's see ... I guess that would be LFMFTCRO Vaqueros.

Anyway, if you have cowboy grips on them, stick with 44 Special fodder for these unless you like to bleed.

I don't understand why Ruger didn't simply avoid this whole mess by naming the New Vaquero something different like "the Bandito" or "the Honcho".

But for the SANE NORMAL among us:

There cannot be LIGHT without DARK.

There cannot be HOT without COLD.

There cannot be NEW without OLD.

THERE CANNOT BE A NEW VAQUERO WITHOUT THERE ALSO BEING AN OLD VAQUERO.

And of COURSE each of them is a different MODEL (Duh). If they weren't a different MODEL they would be LITERALLY THE SAME GUN.

As for people who don't know the difference between "to" and "too" and "two" or "there" and "their" or "lose" and "loose", I just am not going there. Suffice to say that it speaks volumes regarding the sorry state of our educational system in this country.

OK - I'm getting off my soap box now. I'm done. I will shut up now.

This thread is hilarious. That anyone would actually care enough to make such a big deal over this is even funnier. Fella asks about a barrel length and the language police swarm in with their "correctspeech" nonsense. Oh yeah...it's a "safety issue." What...someone's gonna get shot by referring to an original Vaquero as an Old Model Vaquero? Sheesh! Is there a Ruger owner left on planet Earth that doesn't know about the transfer bar mod? What I don't understand, what with all that superior intelect, is why a super smart word mincer would want to hang around and participate in this game with all the terminology challenged "hayseeds" who can't even speak properly. Must be awful to be in a constant state of wadded knickers over what someone calls an inantimate object. Surely there is some other minute detail on your worry list to pontificate over that has more substance than this topic. It's YEARS & YEARS later...can we move on?

Yeah, Gunblade -

They all have their panties in such a bunch over this that their suspenders give them a wedgie whenever they bend over to pick up their brass.

And ... it's inanimate, not inantimate. OK, I give you permission to kick my panty-bunch all the way up my yaas yaas yaas.

I always provide the entertainment at any and all venues but I don't wear panties. Nor do I wear tops. Men do not wear tops except in the minds of girl ad-copy writers who think a baseball cap is a hat.

The overwhelming need to correct others is an affliction and I am seriously afflicted. Have had it all my life. In the army, they called me the professor. It is an impediment and a handicap but it garners no sympathy as other afflictions do. Instead it engenders hostility and "flaming" even though the altruistic intent of the afflicted is to assist, educate, and help (thanks for the hateful over-reactions and total lack of appreciation everyone). But usually I can overcome it here and say nothing. But I am confounded why cowboys persist and insist on sticking that extra word in there when it is so unnecessary and makes the description inaccurate and incorrect. I will never understand that but oh well. It is what it is and will continue to be, at least around here.

I say usually I can keep silent but there are a few things I just have to pipe up about everytime I see it. OMV is usually not one but this thread had a special opening for going there. I notice TJ is conspicuously absent from the string since getting flamed. Can't say I blame him. I myowndangself however am inured and don't even need asbestos drawers (not panties).

The main thing I cannot let go by these days is calvary for cavalry. Not just a keyboard thing either, I will correct pards to their face on that one. Everytime.

Lone Dog: I think you're being overly pedantic -- even if Ruger collectors recognize the distinction you're making, others probably never will.

Here's why -- At a given point in history, Ruger started making the Blackhawk revolver in various calibers, and it made them forward through history until it incorporated the transfer-bar mechanism. All Blackhawks made before the transfer bar were therefor "Old Model" Blackhawks, and all made after were "New Model."

At a different point in history, Ruger began making the Vaquero, and it continued making the Vaquero in various shapes, sizes and calibers until it introduced the smaller-framed Vaqueros that most here call "New Model Vaqueros." Once that happened, all that were made on the larger frame became "Old Model Vaqueros."

The fact that there was never a Vaquero made without the transfer bar is unnecessary to the distinction -- the Vaquero, in all it's guises, is not a Blackhawk. There are New Model and Old Model Blackhawks, and there are New Model (small frame) and Old Model (large frame) Vaqueros.

If there is any actual distinction leading to confusion it lies in the fact that Ruger, in its infinite wisdom, decided to give its new smaller-framed, adjustable sighted revolver the name "Blackhawk." This means that since the Blackhawk's inception it has gone through three primary phases -- "Old Model" (pre transfer bar), "New Model," (post transfer bar) and for lack of a better term "New New Model" (post tranfer bar, small frame).

The Vaquero has been in existence only for the past two changes to the Blackhawk design, but that does not mean that a small frame Vaquero is not a new model -- it is merely not a New Model Blackhawk.

Further this deponent sayeth not.

Howdy Mike

Never thought much about short barrel 44 mag Vaqueros but your Right don't see 'em too often. I had a chance to pick up a pair and did. Figure Hey,they ain't making 'em any more, Go for it. Ruger hadn't committed to making the New 44 Special's so I though I might be in to something. Well the 44sp came out ( Thats a Good thing ) But it realy didn't hurt the Value of the 44 Mags. As usual I know I paid too much for 'em but I got 'em on a FTF and thats always worth a premium to me. Have a good trip Down Under

The 44 mag vaquero probably didn't appeal to many.

I purchased mine (one stainless, the other blue) in 2002. My misguided logic for choosing 44 mag was that then those guns could double as woods/camp guns to fend off hungry bears and such. It was misguided because I only go camping in the woods maybe once a year, and have never had to deal with a hungry bear even once in my entire life. It was further misguided because I already had a perfectly good Blackhawk in 41 magnum. It was further misguided because a stubby little 4 5/8" vaquero stuffed full of 44 mag fodder, will literally make you BLEED if you shoot it with cowboy grips on it (that gun will rotate in your hand until the muzzle is pointing at the moon and the inside of your thumb is smashed up against the sharp edge of the frame just left of the hammer hard enough to remove hide and make you bleed).

The 44 mag vaquero would appeal primarily to someone like a professional outfitter who made his living in the woods and wanted a gun that would stand up to rough use, hence the preference for fixed sights.

The good news is that once I had the forcing cones changed to 11 degrees, they are VERY accurate with 210 grain 44 Special cowboy loads, both guns putting all 6 rounds into a group the size of a quarter at 15 yards.

Old model ruger - hum is that a 3 screw or flat top perhaps a purist would call it an OM BH or OM SBH who knows

OMV seems a Decent way to describe a Vaquero that is not a NMV.

Should some one correct me I would probably place then in the same category of a Gun Store Clerk who would edify me on there not being any 45LC ammo, the words being uttered aproximately 15 nano seconds before my behind hit the door on the way out never to reenter. Germans have a two word term for such an individual the second being loch

I always provide the entertainment at any and all venues but I don't wear panties. Nor do I wear tops. Men do not wear tops except in the minds of girl ad-copy writers who think a baseball cap is a hat.

The overwhelming need to correct others is an affliction and I am seriously afflicted. Have had it all my life. In the army, they called me the professor. It is an impediment and a handicap but it garners no sympathy as other afflictions do. Instead it engenders hostility and "flaming" even though the altruistic intent of the afflicted is to assist, educate, and help (thanks for the hateful over-reactions and total lack of appreciation everyone). But usually I can overcome it here and say nothing. But I am confounded why cowboys persist and insist on sticking that extra word in there when it is so unnecessary and makes the description inaccurate and incorrect. I will never understand that but oh well. It is what it is and will continue to be, at least around here.

I say usually I can keep silent but there are a few things I just have to pipe up about everytime I see it. OMV is usually not one but this thread had a special opening for going there. I notice TJ is conspicuously absent from the string since getting flamed. Can't say I blame him. I myowndangself however am inured and don't even need asbestos drawers (not panties).

The main thing I cannot let go by these days is calvary for cavalry. Not just a keyboard thing either, I will correct pards to their face on that one. Everytime.

boxers or briefs or is depends the real response - could not help myself and somebody had to ask

we do agree how ever on the difference between Golgotha and a horse riding trooper who is not in a Mounted Rifles unit.

boxers or briefs or is depends the real response - could not help myself and somebody had to ask

we do agree how ever on the difference between Golgotha and a horse riding trooper who is not in a Mounted Rifles unit.

Speaking of Depends; If I had to make my living as a gun writer, I would soon find myself unemployed and trying to earn a buck knocking door-to-door selling sanitary napkins for the elderly.

Archived