SASS Wire Forum

Why hasn't Uberti

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Over the years I have seen many cap and ball Colt fans looking to swap out their '60 Army grip frames for the smaller Navy size. Pietta done something close when they came out with the '51 Navy in .44 caliber but many purists cry foul, due to it being a model that never existed. No doubt that an early pistolero could have done a grip frame swap and I have even heard of such but a bit pricy for us to replicate now. Well the blind hog just found an acorn, historically speaking. It seems that for whatever reason, the entire first run of Colt 1860 Armies actually were assembled with Colt Navy grip assemblies (sorry I do not know the numbers). If Colt actually did it, for whatever reason, then why cant Uberti recreate it? We are talking a no added cost option for the manufacturer that includes bonafidees. How many would be interested if Uberti offered a version of these earliest '60 Army revolvers with the smaller grip assemblies AND do you reckon they even know about this little known fact of history?? Isn't this the historically relevant type of product that Cimaron likes to add to their line up, "First To War"?

Howdy SB,

There are always people who get on their high horse about "historical accuracy". Funny thing is, many of them shoot open tops and conversions in 45 Colt, or Rugers, or, like me, Alchimistas. I don't think that "historical accuracy" is what holds Uberti back from producing a different model. I suspect they don't want to mess with anything right now due to the poor economy, both here and in Europe. That said, maybe you ought to write to Uberti and ask them about producing your type of 1860 Army.

Just my twwo cents.

Shakey

How many would be interested if Uberti offered a version of these earliest '60 Army revolvers with the smaller grip assemblies AND do you reckon they even know about this little known fact of history??
Nope and since the majority of the Italian manufacturers are all located in the Bresnia area, they know each others business ... Uberti is not interested

Very limited market. Uberti Production is done in "runs." It isn"t cost effective to pull "X" number frames from a run and do a special on "spec" just to see if it will sell. Since complete trigger guard/grip frames with wood are available for DIY, why should they.

Every thing Uberti makes is to fill existing paid orders. I would expect if you ordered 2 or 3 hundred, pre-paid, I would think Uberti. Would be happy to accommodate you.

Coffinmaker

Very limited market. Uberti Production is done in "runs." It isn"t cost effective to pull "X" number frames from a run and do a special on "spec" just to see if it will sell. Since complete trigger guard/grip frames with wood are available for DIY, why should they.

Every thing Uberti makes is to fill existing paid orders. I would expect if you ordered 2 or 3 hundred, pre-paid, I would think Uberti. Would be happy to accommodate you.

Coffinmaker

I suspect that'd be true, if the ordering distributor was still in business when Uberti decided to fill the order. Lead time would be measurable in galactic expansion.....

Now Jabez, you know that no cowboy can shoot just one! The concept here is that the Navy or SAA grip size is probably the most popular amongst SASS shooters and I am sure that relates to the cap and ball crowd also. Take my word for it, it is an expensive proposition to buy new guns and then start replacing parts to get what you want. The possible combinations are large and we know manufacturers could not keep up with all the parts changes and alterations but this would be a no cost change as both styles are already manufactured and interchange freely. As to pulling a few from the line to create the alteration, well it might work the other way with more shooters preferring the much more common Navy size frame when given the choice. It is actually the Army grip frame that is the bastard amongst grip frame sizes.

I am pretty close to my goal of being rid of the Army size grip frames BUT it has been an extremely expensive proposition. One more set of Birds Head frames and wood will free up the last SAA Grips for swapping onto a '60 Uberti Army and I will have arrived. Shux I even got several sets of brass grip frames and the wood left over to go with them.

I still think it would be a smart move on Ubertis part and Ill bet the brass Navy parts are cheaper to produce than the steel Army version. Though somewhat an unorthodox approach, Pietta has a really nice handling Navy available in .44.

Wanna see the real deal. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,37610.msg480302.html#msg480302

Howdy

I lusted after a pair of 1860s for years. But frankly, the more common long grip was part of the attraction for me.

I would not be interested in a pair of 1860s with the Navy style grip on them.

But that's just me.

My only regret is that I bought a pair of Piettas on sale at Cabelas a couple of years ago. Wish I hadn't cheaped out and had bought a pair of Ubertis instead.

As far as the longer grip is concerned though, I like it just fine.

I have actually been posting everywhere about my love for the two new pairs of Pietta revolvers I bought recently. One is the Pietta '62 set in .36 and the above mentioned .44 cal Navy pair. These are both with short barls and handle really well with no problems on the firing line yet. For those who think the Uberti Navy or SAA is still just a slight tad large, try the Pietta Navy grip. The grips seem to have more of a bell shape and feel like they lock into the hand better, likely due to this added flare under the hands grip. Just different strokes for different fokes.

I've got an 1860 that came with a navy size grip frame. Bought it brand new that way at a little shop out in California back in '89, but it was made for CVA by ASM. Had it converted, unfired, to 44 colt by John Gren the same year. But I've never seen another like it.

I would NOT Ever BUY a "Pietta" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Had 3 of them and all were to put it politley GARBAGE !!!!

And when it was called to the attention of the people all the way to the top of the line ,,,, No satifaction was offered !!!

Only thing Mr. "A" offered "Is the guns are with-in allowable factory torerances" It took over 6 months to finaly get even that answer...

The barrel was 13.5 thousand of an inch bigger than the largest cyclinder mouth, the ball pulled from the biggest cyclinder and dropped down the bore bounced from side to side as it dropped through the bore.....

The gun was hard pressed to keep 5 shots on a sheet of paper at 7 yards when shot from a "Ransom" rest .....

So Pietta = Junk in my book !!! And many here in Canada agree ....

As a comparisson my 1851 Navy made by "Uberti" shot 5 into a group that measures .386 at 7 yards from a "Ransom" Rest using 23 grains of 3F and a .375 ball....

Jabez Cowboy

Old Tops

Old Top got a pair of GW 2's and immediately started complaining about how small the Colt grip frame waz. So he started a 2 year process of getting 2 sets of 1860 grips/bs/tg. (during this 2 years Alch. "invented" the 2008 gun of the year. Now Top loves his gunz. (but now he wants that large centered trigger in the Alchimestia.)

I don't know about the cap and balls by Pietta, but I know of 9 various pietta guns (seven of them are mine in the pix below) and everyone of them is a tackdriver (as long as I do my part) AND, when Top couldn't find any screws to fit his "new gun" I wrote Alchemstia himself and he personally posted 2 sets of screws free of charge.

Curleys GWs

good shootin

curley

I would NOT Ever BUY a "Pietta" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Had 3 of them and all were to put it politley GARBAGE !!!!

And when it was called to the attention of the people all the way to the top of the line ,,,, No satifaction was offered !!!

Only thing Mr. "A" offered "Is the guns are with-in allowable factory torerances" It took over 6 months to finaly get even that answer...

The barrel was 13.5 thousand of an inch bigger than the largest cyclinder mouth, the ball pulled from the biggest cyclinder and dropped down the bore bounced from side to side as it dropped through the bore.....

The gun was hard pressed to keep 5 shots on a sheet of paper at 7 yards when shot from a "Ransom" rest .....

So Pietta = Junk in my book !!! And many here in Canada agree ....

As a comparisson my 1851 Navy made by "Uberti" shot 5 into a group that measures .386 at 7 yards from a "Ransom" Rest using 23 grains of 3F and a .375 ball....

Jabez Cowboy

I carry a Heratige Arms Rough Rider Big Bore .45, which is made by Pietta. If I do my part, I can bounce a shot shell around at ten yards.

Archived