SASS Wire Forum

Ruger 1022 rebuild questions

Doc Windshadow

Looks like a Tactical Solutions barrel, Go here to check them out (after they finish their maintenance)

http://www.tacticalsol.com/

I have seen the term while looking threw some of the web pages...When they say Tactical Solutions barrel...Is this a brand or something that I'm missing...I know my back ground in shooting small, kinda new at the game...

Texas Lizard

TL,

The Major was right it is a TS barrel. I have applied for the silencer and am anxious to get it. It takes about 80 days to go through the process. There is a $200 fee for the tax + the cost of the silencer + the barrel. I am also having a Browning Buckmark barreled with a TS barrel so that I can switch the silencer to the pistol whenever I want. I just added a red extended magazine release to the rifle to match the barrel. It looks good.

Seldom Seen,

The sight is a Tru Glo. It has a dot, a circle with a dot or a cross for your sight picture. It has a brightness up to 5 and it has a choice of red or green light. No magnification but these little babies are deadly accurate.

TL,

The Major was right it is a TS barrel. I have applied for the silencer and am anxious to get it. It takes about 80 days to go through the process. There is a $200 fee for the tax + the cost of the silencer + the barrel. I am also having a Browning Buckmark barreled with a TS barrel so that I can switch the silencer to the pistol whenever I want. I just added a red extended magazine release to the rifle to match the barrel. It looks good.

Silencers are nice, but try to get one here in California...Not a chance in he$$...So that is what the tactical means...It does look good...

Texas Lizard

TL,

Well the product side of their site is still down ) web master must be taking the long weekend off) so in addition to the $200 fee and 3 month wait how much do they charge you for the barrel and suppressor?

Seldom Seen,

The sight is a Tru Glo. It has a dot, a circle with a dot or a cross for your sight picture. It has a brightness up to 5 and it has a choice of red or green light. No magnification but these little babies are deadly accurate.

Thanks. It looks good on that little carbine.

The only hi cap magazine that will work 100% is the new Ruger magazine.Don't waste your money on any other.

======================================================

That's odd. Butler Creek and Eagle hi-cap mags work great in my 10/22. Can't recall having a problem with either brand.

Grouchy Greg, while the 2 brands listed do work in some of the 10-22's out there,I have heard a lot of people having problems with them. I have yet to hear anyone having problems with the new Ruger magazine.Just my experience that when given the option of a magazine made by the original manufacturer and an aftermarket, Go with the original.

Using my receiver, I got the barrel, the stock, the $200 tax stamp and the silencer all for $600. It shoots like a dream. I found out real quick that you can't shoot standard velocity ammo in it. It will hang up about every third round. I switched to Federal Automatch and it hasn't even burped. I sighted the truglo sight in at 50 yds. and kept the bullets inside a 2" Targdot.

CC

The Ruger 1022 is the "Mr. Potato Head" of the rimfire rifle world. I've got two of them...one made in 1971 and another that is recent. Both are pretty much stock and both shoot well.

The Ruger 1022 is the "Mr. Potato Head" of the rimfire rifle world. I've got two of them...one made in 1971 and another that is recent. Both are pretty much stock and both shoot well.

PSS,

I recently purchased a couple of the models (pic below) made for the Talo co. They are really sharp looking 10/22's and they perform well in competition.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/1242-T.jpg

I shot one to pieces over the last 28 years, so I decided to upgrade.

I didn't like the prices (or quality) of most of the aftermarket stocks. Instead, I rebuilt the original stock to fit me, and made a few major design changes. Sawed off the parts I didn't need, glued up new wood, and started shaping to fit. The barrel is from Whistle Pig. Over-scoped with a Mueller APV with sunshade, but a gas to shoot.

My 10-22

The nose-cap works well too. It is screwed on and covers a hole bored in the stock. I have been playing with the right amount of weight to add to the fore-end to balance out my wobbles during off-hand shooting.

I have shot a Ruger steel Challenge over at a gun club in Alabama. It is a hoot. I shot two entries--cowboy and open sights with the 10/22 and a Browning Buckmark.

We are going to have a demo shoot on Nov. 5 at our club and with enough interest we will do this on a monthly basis.

http://i26.photobuck...f8/DSC05808.jpg

Wow - that'll knock an eye at at 100 yards!! :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

When you finish replacing all those parts that need replacing on your 10/22, you will have a pile of the old original parts that can be re-assembled into a gun that strongly resembles your original rifle.... ;)

I now have a matching barrel for my Buckmark so I can switch my silencer.(if it ever comes in)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/DSC05860.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/DSC05808.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks to friend at my local club I got enough parts to build the remains into a stock Carbine with the old type Walnut carbine stock the receiver was fine the gun had been painted with one of those doit your self camp spray paint kits and after I washed it off with paint remover the finish underneath was the original blue in ok condition a lot of what he thought was rust in the action was a heavy brown grease that was very crudded up... why it was there who know... but I dumped them into the parts washer in the garage and the look serviceable though there is some pitting on the bolt where it was exposed at the port. the barrel a tomato stake(a short one) and the bolt and trigger group I also replaced with the free donated parts since I had them. it is cycling fine with Std vel ammo and it is hitting mostly where I point it.... one question is the dowel pin at the top rear of the receiver meant to be so loos that it is only held in place by the wood of the stock covering it? most of my guns that use pins this way I need to tap them out with a brass drift.

now as to what to do with it now it is shooting... Well to start with the stock is much to short for my 6'3" and my long arms. and I do want a longer barrel the largest volume of ammo expend will be shooting at this thing http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?product=shootin-gallery

and I have set it up with alternating dot and duck targets and it is a lot of fun to shoot at ranges between 75 and 150 feet mostly.

I see 3 paths that interest me

#1 and I guess most expensive optionis to do what you did here Cherokee Charlie http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/DSC05808.jpg that is one handsome rifle I even like the red and that is very surprising in an old fart like me and the thought of getting a suppressor is also very attractive even if it is a 3 monte wait and $200 buck to pay for $16 muffins down in DC.and that sight you picked looks better all the time to my aging eyesight. one worry is that after 2 week I still can not access that tactical solutions web site at http://www.tacticalsol.com/products/suppressors and a company that can not keep its website working in this economy well that is a worry

#2 is something based on the carbon wound barrel. light and accurate to learn the darn Squirrels a lesson and I have not really started penciling that one out.

#3 is either the M1 carbine look alike or the Thompson lookalike... just because they look like such fun

Well thanks to friend at my local club I got enough parts to build the remains into a stock Carbine with the old type Walnut carbine stock the receiver was fine the gun had been painted with one of those doit your self camp spray paint kits and after I washed it off with paint remover the finish underneath was the original blue in ok condition a lot of what he thought was rust in the action was a heavy brown grease that was very crudded up... why it was there who know... but I dumped them into the parts washer in the garage and the look serviceable though there is some pitting on the bolt where it was exposed at the port. the barrel a tomato stake(a short one) and the bolt and trigger group I also replaced with the free donated parts since I had them. it is cycling fine with Std vel ammo and it is hitting mostly where I point it.... one question is the dowel pin at the top rear of the receiver meant to be so loos that it is only held in place by the wood of the stock covering it? most of my guns that use pins this way I need to tap them out with a brass drift.

now as to what to do with it now it is shooting... Well to start with the stock is much to short for my 6'3" and my long arms. and I do want a longer barrel the largest volume of ammo expend will be shooting at this thing http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?product=shootin-gallery

and I have set it up with alternating dot and duck targets and it is a lot of fun to shoot at ranges between 75 and 150 feet mostly.

I see 3 paths that interest me

#1 and I guess most expensive optionis to do what you did here Cherokee Charlie http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/DSC05808.jpg that is one handsome rifle I even like the red and that is very surprising in an old fart like me and the thought of getting a suppressor is also very attractive even if it is a 3 monte wait and $200 buck to pay for $16 muffins down in DC.and that sight you picked looks better all the time to my aging eyesight. one worry is that after 2 week I still can not access that tactical solutions web site at http://www.tacticalsol.com/products/suppressors and a company that can not keep its website working in this economy well that is a worry

#2 is something based on the carbon wound barrel. light and accurate to learn the darn Squirrels a lesson and I have not really started penciling that one out.

#3 is either the M1 carbine look alike or the Thompson lookalike... just because they look like such fun

Doc,

Who you calling an old Fart.(yourself :lol: ) Heck, I'm dang near 70 and acting like a kid. I don't think I ever want to grow up. I have run several hundred rounds through these two guns and they werk flawlessly. You might say I am in my second childhood.

CC :lol:

Doc,

Who you calling an old Fart.(yourself :lol: ) Heck, I'm dang near 70 and acting like a kid. I don't think I ever want to grow up. I have run several hundred rounds through these two guns and they werk flawlessly. You might say I am in my second childhood.

CC :lol:

thanks CC. I really need to get active on that rimfire forum I guess I just never like being the new boy in an established gathering like that... (yup I am that shy wallflower (well wall weed anyway) over in the corner that does not want or ask questions that prove that I am even dumber and more uninformed that I look.... I sent TS an email last night asking them for info so we will se if they respond... I noticed that several online vendors of their stuff are showing quite a bit of it as out of stock.... http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=26

and from my reading I understand that being able to take a suppressor apart for cleaning is an important feature yet some companies seem to make a big deal that their products are not user serviceable and this is one example (note also the fact that they disclaim use with full auto as that can melt them! http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=911

Humm that link seems to have problems so I will quote THis is for a $265 (not including the stamp) unit on "sale" for $245 about $15 less than their price for the TS Cascade unit and for which no sure details are provided (hence my desire to access the TS products web page before I blink down my $250 at the local class III dealer to start the process.

Liberty Suppressors' Sparrow Suppressor is CAD designed for light weight, accurate use on a large platform of weapons. Any 22 rimfire firearm that can have a thread mounted suppressor will work well with the Sparrow.

Stainless steel rear cap to prevent wearing of the suppressor threads

It is built with cnc machined chambers instead of using a traditional baffle stack to reduce weight and to prevent the dreaded "baffle spin" of conventional suppressors

The Sparrow weighs in at 4 ounces

It is 6" long and 1" in diameter and will clear the sights on most 22 rifles or pistols

Threaded in 1/2-28 TPI

Flat Black Finish

All of Liberty suppressors come with a lifetime warranty, excluding the use of full auto fire which can melt the aluminium components in the suppressor.

Sparrow cans are build with a maintenance free design. (Sealed can)

All NFA Rules apply

Cheers and I will be interested to know how you make out once your suppressor arives

Windy

thanks CC. I really need to get active on that rimfire forum I guess I just never like being the new boy in an established gathering like that... (yup I am that shy wallflower (well wall weed anyway) over in the corner that does not want or ask questions that prove that I am even dumber and more uninformed that I look.... I sent TS an email last night asking them for info so we will se if they respond... I noticed that several online vendors of their stuff are showing quite a bit of it as out of stock.... http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=26

and from my reading I understand that being able to take a suppressor apart for cleaning is an important feature yet some companies seem to make a big deal that their products are not user serviceable and this is one example (note also the fact that they disclaim use with full auto as that can melt them! http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=911

Humm that link seems to have problems so I will quote THis is for a $265 (not including the stamp) unit on "sale" for $245 about $15 less than their price for the TS Cascade unit and for which no sure details are provided (hence my desire to access the TS products web page before I blink down my $250 at the local class III dealer to start the process.

Cheers and I will be interested to know how you make out once your suppressor arives

Windy

I will let you know if I ever get it. Have a good one.

CC

How is that TruGlo sight working for you I last used a red dot about 40 years ago when they first came out I put one on a slug shotgun for deer hunting in a shotgun only state but I expect that have come a long way from back then I have not decide if I want something like that in a reflex red dot or do I want a scope with magnification... I have a tasco 4 to 9 on an air gun which I think I will try once I get a scope base (the gun I was given was built in 1978 according to ruger and I guess they did not come with the scope base back then (it is drilled and even has the the holes filled with blind screws) though I am a bit suppressed they never just grooved the top of the receiver for a tip off mount the way most did starting from about 40 years ago.

Archived