SASS Wire Forum

Ruger 1022 rebuild questions

Doc Windshadow

but hey a free gun is a free gun right? :)

Now I know there is a huge aftermarket of parts for the 1022 so the fact that the one I am being sent was run hard and put away wet (bent barrel and broken stock just for starters) is not a major concern

but I really do not have a handle on who makes good parts and which part makers I need to avoid... It will just be a plinker to use with my new caldwell mechanized shooting gallery of little yellow ducks and mosty used at 25 to 50 yards I was wondering if any of the high capacity magazines are any good as I recall reading about problems with some of them in the past something about excessive wear of the feed lips?

lot of questions but I know this is a place with a lot of answers

this thread is now continued from the end of page 2 with this post

Well thanks to friend at my local club I got enough parts to build the remains into a stock Carbine with the old type Walnut carbine stock the receiver was fine the gun had been painted with one of those doit your self camp spray paint kits and after I washed it off with paint remover the finish underneath was the original blue in ok condition a lot of what he thought was rust in the action was a heavy brown grease that was very crudded up... why it was there who know... but I dumped them into the parts washer in the garage and the look serviceable though there is some pitting on the bolt where it was exposed at the port. the barrel a tomato stake(a short one) and the bolt and trigger group I also replaced with the free donated parts since I had them. it is cycling fine with Std vel ammo and it is hitting mostly where I point it.... one question is the dowel pin at the top rear of the receiver meant to be so loos that it is only held in place by the wood of the stock covering it? most of my guns that use pins this way I need to tap them out with a brass drift.

now as to what to do with it now it is shooting... Well to start with the stock is much to short for my 6'3" and my long arms. and I do want a longer barrel the largest volume of ammo expend will be shooting at this thing http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?product=shootin-gallery

and I have set it up with alternating dot and duck targets and it is a lot of fun to shoot at ranges between 75 and 150 feet mostly.

I see 3 paths that interest me

#1 and I guess most expensive optionis to do what you did here Cherokee Charlie http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/DSC05808.jpg that is one handsome rifle I even like the red and that is very surprising in an old fart like me and the thought of getting a suppressor is also very attractive even if it is a 3 monte wait and $200 buck to pay for $16 muffins down in DC.and that sight you picked looks better all the time to my aging eyesight. one worry is that after 2 week I still can not access that tactical solutions web site at http://www.tacticalsol.com/products/suppressors and a company that can not keep its website working in this economy well that is a worry

#2 is something based on the carbon wound barrel. light and accurate to learn the darn Squirrels a lesson and I have not really started penciling that one out.

D W

As long as the bbl atachment point , is not messed up , you should be good to go .

There are more after-market parts for thr 10-22 than anything else out there .

I would use a .920 bbl and a BARACUDA stock .

Just be sure to check the head space and the extractor

CB

I have a bone stock 10/22 that I've never been real happy with. IIRC when I was looking the hot lips mags with the steel lips were supposed to be good, but I had trouble with them in my gun. It may just be a case of needed some rounds through it, admittedly I haven't put many rounds through it. Loading the stock mags gets tedious for a fumble fingers like me. And the whole point of a .22 semi auto is to put LOTS of rounds downrange quickly, right?

The only hi cap magazine that will work 100% is the new Ruger magazine.Don't waste your money on any other.

D W

As long as the bbl atachment point , is not messed up , you should be good to go .

There are more after-market parts for thr 10-22 than anything else out there .

I would use a .920 bbl and a BARACUDA stock .

Just be sure to check the head space and the extractor

CB

That sounds like good advice CB... The way it was described to me was bend in the barrel about 6 inches back from the muzzle (about 1/2 inch deflection and a crack through the wrist of the stock a black bore and lost of surface rust and crud in the action (as in rode hard and put away wet. the gun was found under the back seat of a rusted out 72 ford station wagon that had been in a field for 20 years... but hey free is free and my only cost is the mailing of it by the owner in the far north of the state so even if I can not fix it I am only out the cost of a few beers

The Rimfire Forum is a fount of info on the 10/22 ;)

Course not everyone wants the heavy .920 barrel,

the standard barrel is quiet accurate to 100 yards.

PM me if your interested in a standard diameter stainless barrel :)

but hey a free gun is a free gun right? :)

Free gun, free boat, free car, free love... most damn expensive things in the world! :rolleyes:

Here is a kit that looks like it would be fun.

10/22 Conversions/Thompson

The other choices about barrels have been mentioned, and Boyd's make some great stocks at reasonable prices. There are a ton of mags available, trigger groups, just about what ever you want to build. I have one bull bbl. red, white, and blue Boyd's stock all kind of extra parts, compensator, optics, and it is a hoot and cheap to shoot. Have fun and build what you want. Also not mentioned is all the color options available for bbls. I also have a standard barrel, not as dressed up yet, but will get there. They are a HOOT to shoot!

The original link was not working, so I changed it to a new one with alot more options, scroll down for the Thompson conversion.

My dad and nephew just joined forces to convert a 10/22 to a Thompson SMG look-alike. Very cool fun toy!

I'm partial to the heavier barrels. I'm REALLY partial to the Hogue overmolded stock. It has a rubbery layer on it that feels good and absolutely is non-slip.

I bought a used one for $150 at the pawn shop for my step-son. Came with two clips. Sometimes "free" is not so good as has been pointed out. Depending on how much rust is in the reciever, you might just wanna save the postage becaues it may never be safe to shoot even with new internal parts if it's pitted deep. Being on the coast you have that sea-salty air that is more corrosive than what we here in the plains have.

We bought him a Tapco stock for his birthday in July and he used his birthday money to buy a scope and mounts for it. This is the third one now in our family. I have a cut-down factory stock for kids I did myself, and the factory stock from his also. 10/22s are fun to shoot and have always been reliable, but the condition of this one sounds like it needs to go to the furnace.

Bodine

Here is a kit that looks like it would be fun.

Thompson Conversion

The other choices about barrels have been mentioned, and Boyd's make some great stocks at reasonable prices. There are a ton of mags available, trigger groups, just about what ever you want to build. I have one bull bbl. red, white, and blue Boyd's stock all kind of extra parts, compensator, optics, and it is a hoot and cheap to shoot. Have fun and build what you want. Also not mentioned is all the color options available for bbls. I also have a standard barrel, not as dressed up yet, but will get there. They are a HOOT to shoot!

That link is not working for me but I saw a Thompson version of the 1022 on the rimfirecentral.com site and I have to say the M1 Carbine version and it are at the top of my list right now

And yesUno I know how expensive free stuff can become :blink:

I will have to wait and see just what can be salvageable when the remains get here

And Charley I even saw this for the tommy gun version

http://www.eabco.com/tactical_innovations_10%2022.html the variety of barrel designs is staggering even a slow twist version for the 60gr subsonic ammo and also threaded for the addition of a silencer if you want to jump through the NFA hoops and pay the fee for one which I have admit is tempting as I would I expect make me a more popular neighbor

Thanks for the info gang.. I have a lot to think about before I start ordering stuff

Well let's see......

$350 for a new barrel....

$200 for a new trigger....

$150 for a new stock....

I think I'd talk to Country Wildman.

Rowdy, you just don't know where to shop :lol:

The 10/22 trigger is easy to work yourownself and my VQ bbl was more like $200.00

Also a Hogue stock goes for like $80.00 ;)

I did spend a few $$$ on "glass" I have to admit :o

Cheers,

LG

Rowdy, you just don't know where to shop :lol:

The 10/22 trigger is easy to work yourownself and my VQ bbl was more like $200.00

Also a Hogue stock goes for like $80.00 ;)

I did spend a few $$$ on "glass" I have to admit :o

Cheers,

LG

Probably true. :wacko:

I was just using one of the links already posted in this thread.

Rowdy, you are right and I often thought of it from a perspective similar to yours, but did it any way. "Is it really worth it, or worth anything when you are through, to take a $150 rifle and put a thousand dollars into it?" But they come out so unique and such a hoot to shoot.

Rowdy, you are right and I often thought of it from a perspective similar to yours, but did it any way. "Is it really worth it, or worth anything when you are through, to take a $150 rifle and put a thousand dollars into it?" But they come out so unique and such a hoot to shoot.

Yep, they are unique. I've messed with several of these and even converted a couple to .17 cal. (talk about little groups), but I've had just as much fun with a stock one.

Sometimes it can be a tough decision but I think everyone needs to trick out at least one.

Doc if you want to keep it stock let me know. My father in law builds guns for our falling plates shoots so may/usually has "take offs" on hand. If you want to build a real tack driver I can second the green mtn bbl, have had one in a macmillan stok for years and its a real corker. If its an older one and you got the aluminum rather then delrin reciever youre doing even better.

Doc if you want to keep it stock let me know. My father in law builds guns for our falling plates shoots so may/usually has "take offs" on hand. If you want to build a real tack driver I can second the green mtn bbl, have had one in a macmillan stok for years and its a real corker. If its an older one and you got the aluminum rather then delrin reciever youre doing even better.

Well of course that is what I hope it will be when did they switch to the delrin?

The delrin change has only been in the last few years.

it's only the trigger group that is plastic not the receiver

given the description and where it was found I am guessing it must date from before the station wagon was abandoned behind the barn of the farm my friend bought... and he puts tat at 20 years ago based on the inspection sticker date.... so I doubt very much it will be a plastic trigger group unless use of a time machine was involved :rolleyes:

For those that have not seen or heard of these, Ruger is helping with "Ruger Rimfire Shooting Competitions, and they look like they would be a lot of fun, plus really inexpensive to shoot. They have an "Open Category", optics allowed, "Limited" iron sights or fiber optics, and Cowboy, single actions only. I think they are shooting it at Founders Ranch. Targets are similar to CAS. It is something I am going to try and get folks interested in. Just think an oppurtunity to use that tricked out Mark II, or III, and the 10/22 you have all the money in and you just punch holes in paper with it. Stages like we shoot with CAS guns done with 22's would be a hoot. I think (bad thing I know) if you get shooters to come you may generate some interest for SASS type matches. Seems everyone has 22's, so it should not be a far stretch to get it going. Check out the website, it has all the rules and info:

Ruger Rimfire Competitions

I have shot a Ruger steel Challenge over at a gun club in Alabama. It is a hoot. I shot two entries--cowboy and open sights with the 10/22 and a Browning Buckmark.

We are going to have a demo shoot on Nov. 5 at our club and with enough interest we will do this on a monthly basis.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/DSC05808.jpg

I have shot a Ruger steel Challenge over at a gun club in Alabama. It is a hoot. I shot two entries--cowboy and open sights with the 10/22 and a Browning Buckmark.

We are going to have a demo shoot on Nov. 5 at our club and with enough interest we will do this on a monthly basis.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/c42r537c72f8/DSC05808.jpg

The picture looks great...Now tell me about the barrel...It grabbed my attention...

Texas Lizard

Here's the link to the website on the rimfire matches that CC was talking about. It is located on the same property that houses the North Alabama Regulators gun club, and it is a first rate facility. I don't shoot rimfire (yet?), but this range is a great one.

When you get folks coming from several states for a regular monthly shoot, that tells you you are doing something very right.

Congrats to Uncle Frank and the rest of the rimfire shooters!

Cavern Cove Rimfire

Looks like a Tactical Solutions barrel, Go here to check them out (after they finish their maintenance)

http://www.tacticalsol.com/

Archived