SASS Wire Forum

Who Was That Masked Man?

Denver Don

"I am Posting this with Permision from Rick Traum Son of the Author and Cousin to Clayton Moore"

CLAYTON MOORE

A fiery horse with the speed of light – a cloud of dust – and “Hiyo Silver

Away.” With Indian pal Tonto at his side, and the martial strains of the

William Tell Overture, the Lone Ranger Rides into the sunset.

Who is the Lone Ranger? Who is the masked stranger who for decades

and thousands of screen episodes fascinated millions? Who is the

romantic handsome hero who vanquished the evil blackguards? Who

indeed is he?

Future generations may never know the legendary Lone Ranger, his horse

Silver, and his loyal friend Tonto who enthralled millions. A search of

libraries revealed not a book, biography, or article about him. Somehow,

his well-deserved accolades were never acknowledged.

Writing about Clayton Moore, the Lone Ranger, may appear self=serving. I

have known him for 55 years and so I feel qualified to do a biographical

vignette of him. My wife, Bunny, is his first cousin. Her mother, Lucille

Fisher, is the sister of Clayton’s mother, Tess Fisher Moore.

Clayton Moore, the youngest of three brothers was born Jack Moore in

Chicago, in 1914. Jack, favoring the name Clayton, was destines to be an

actor. As a youngster, he prepared for his career with strenuous workouts,

By pumping iron and doing body building exercises, Clayton developed a

statuesque physique. It helped to start is career as a circus acrobat and

walk-ons as an extra, and then movie bit parts.

In 1933, at the age of 19, his macho appearance and resonant voice

earned him small picture parts at United Artists studio.

The Lone Ranger originated as a radio serial. Shortly thereafter, Clayton

ws selected for two movie serials featuring him as the masked stranger

The Lone Ranger. From 1956 to 1958 Warner Brothers chose him for their

two specials; “The Lone Ranger” and “The Lost City of Gold”. From then on

he would bear that title as the modern Robin Hood champion of justice.

He and his partner Tonto were unconscionably overworked and underpaid.

His contract gave the studio complete control of his dress in outside

personal appearances and even his off-camera private activities. Despite

these problems, as a true trooper, he delivered the longest run in serial

history.

Movie houses the world over featured the screen idol astride his horse

Silver with Tonto at his side in colorful posters and lifelike cutout figures.

He was a completely private person, and lived the life of the Lone Ranger

on and off cameras. He was never garbed in everyday clothes, he wore

specifically designed ornate western outfits, always wearing his white

Stetson hat, black mask, and two pearl-handled six-shooter guns.

Clayton was offered many attractive incentives to appear on talk shows

and unmask. He turned down $100,000 to appear on one. He did take

pictures with my Mom and Dad without his mask on several occasions.

Although Clayton was admired by millions, his obsession with career

perfection prevented him from having close friends. His one buddy and

confidant was his film partner Tonto. He liked to quote the singular

expression of his favorite riding pal, “Kimo Sabe” as meaning Faithful

Friend. When Jay Silver Heels (Tonto) died in 1980, Clayton fell into an

ascetic mood lasting for months.

All sorts of trivia has been banned about Clayton Moore, the Lone

Ranger’s private and public life. It was rumored that Clayton kept his

inseparable white steed, Silver, in the bedroom of his Malibu home….NOT

TRUE. Silver and several of his horses were kept in a stable new his

home.

The Lone Ranger must be a homosexual. He has never been seen kissing

a girl on the screen, or even off on news or TV shots….NOT TRUE. It was

a cowboy custom to be mucho macho, to refrain from kissing. Clayton was

happily married and followed the cowboy custom on-screen. He was

straight.

Siegfried Fisher, Clayton’s and Bunny’s grandfather, was director of the

Chicago World’s Fair….TRUE.

At the age of 78, Clayton was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk

of Fame. His one lament was that his horse, Silver, was not there to imprint

his hoof in the cement….TRUE.

In his half century of performing, the Lone Ranger was awarded tens of

thousands of gifts. Clayton admitted he’d lost count. They consisted of

keys to cities, trophies, plaques, and other honors, many of them have

been donated to museums…TRUE.

Awards from governments include the United States Congressional Medal

of Honor.

This material was written by Jud Traum and was presented by Rick Traum

(copyright 1970)

To someone who grew up with the Lone Ranger, thanks for that. It was interesting. Is there a biography of this man written by his cousin? Just wonderin, Rye

To someone who grew up with the Lone Ranger, thanks for that. It was interesting. Is there a biography of this man written by his cousin? Just wonderin, Rye

Well I am not sure about the Writer or if he is around as he would be in his 70's or 80's but his son Rick also Claytons Cousin is also an Author and the Executive Producer at Native Land Productions in Floridia and this is what it Says about Him on his Facebook Page:

Rick Traum is an Emmy Award-winning Producer and entertainment executive. Rick received his Emmy as Executive Producer on a film for American Playhouse on PBS and has produced many network television specials and theatrical events during his career. He is also the recipient of a Cine Golden Eagle Award, a Telly Award, and a Cable Ace Award. Rick was Commercial Producer for "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson", and Executive Producer of Count Basie's last television appearance also starring Tony Bennett. Rick has held senior corporate positions including Director of Late Night Programming for NBC where he was executive in charge of "Saturday Night Live". Rick was also Senior Vice President of Finance & Production for Radio City Music Hall Entertainment, was Producer for Radio City Productions Large-Scale Special Events, and was CFO for Radio City Music Hall corporate. He has been a consultant to Walt Disney World Entertainment serving as a Park Producer for Disney's Animal Kingdom, and Entertainment Producer for the $30M Rhino Rally attraction at Busch Gardens Tampa. Recently, Rick served as a Producer on the award-winning feature film "The Touch". Rick has served on the Board of Directors for the Amelia Island Film Festival, The Mount Dora Theatre Company / IceHouse Theater, and the 441 Performing Arts Center. Rick is a graduate of New York University. As a Medic in the Air Force, Rick was a recipient of the American Spirit Honor Medal. Rick is currently Executive Producer of the feature film "Native Land: Lost In The Mystery of Time", and Executive Producer on the documentary film "Popcorn Palaces".

I dont know about anyone else but i find this stuff interesting!

There's an excellent book written by Clayton Moore and Frank Thompson, "I Was that Masked Man". Copy I have was signed by both Frank Thompson and Clayton Moore, along with answers Mr Moore personally replied to questions I had, which were not in the book. This book is available at discount at Amazon. Also full of pics. MT

During the Summers growing up and for a fear a few different times i would spend with My Grandmother,

My Uncle had a Hahn 45(Crossman bb gun) with a western holster in the spare bedroom so when ever i was there and a western was on especially Lone Ranger I would strap on the six Gun and watch tv and help the lone Ranger get the outlaws.... when i heard my uncles truck i would run put it back again. Went with my uncle out to Roy Rogers Ranch a couple time to Deliver a Horse, That confused me since my Uncle delt with Thoroughbreds...

Definitely a "class act." Clayton Moore tried to incorporate Fran Striker's "Code of the Lone Ranger" into his personal life. In fact, when he originally auditioned for the part, he was asked why he felt he should be given the role of the "Lone Ranger." He presumably said, "Because I am the Lone Ranger." And, no doubt about it, he was. His children said that he followed "The Code" in his daily life.

I read a newspaper article years ago (tried to find it again but without success) that reported a story where two little girls (age 5), were playing in their family's boat there at Lake Calabasas when the boat became detached from its mooring and drifted out into the middle of the lake. Nobody noticed the frightened little girls until later when, all of the sudden, somebody ran down to the dock, dove into the water, swam out to the boat, reassured the little girls, then proceeded to swim to shore, pulling the boat and little girls to safety.

Naturally, a crowd had gathered by that time. The grateful parents grabbed the little girls, then turned to thank the rescuer, but he had vanished into the crowd. The next day, the mayor of Calabasas, who also happened to be the editor of the local paper, ran an editorial about the rescue, asking to know the identity of the rescuer. That afternoon, the mayor received a phone call. She said that when she heard the deep baritone voice on the other end of the line, it sounded vaguely familiar. The voice said that he really didn't want any recognition but was glad that the little girls were okay. It was Clayton Moore.

The editor never released the identity of the rescuer until Moore passed away several years later. When I read the article I thought, "Wow! That's just one classy dude!" Hi yo, Silver!

Brace Beemer was the last actor to potray the Lone Ranger on Radio. His deep voice was so recognizable as the hero, that when Clayton Moore received the chance for an audition, he would stand in a corner and practice the voice until he was satisfied. One can check out the differences by his early movies, especially all the serials he played in. MT

He was always my favorite TV cowboy - guess he still is.

Jay Silverheels came from the same small Canadian town where my Aunt, Uncle and three cousins lived.They always said he was the Indian version of the Lone Ranger - a real nice man.

I met Clayton Moore twice. The first time when I was nine or ten. He came riding out of Center Field on Silver at the Knoxville Smokies baseball game. After the game he met all of the kids outside and gave us each a plastic "Silver Bullet" which I kept forever until my brother stole it when I went away to college.

The second time was in Tucson, AZ. I was a TV reporter and the first big screen "Lone Ranger" movie had been released and the scum producers sued Moore to prevent him from appearing anywhere as the Lone Ranger and enjoined him from wearing the mask. I can't remember exactly what he wore in response, but he was a true gentleman.

Memories

While he was under injunction to prevent him from wearing the mask, he had a pair of custom sun glasses that he wore instead. even with his appearance changed by the sun glasses, there was absolutely no doubt who he was.

I can still remember watching the old westerns and them trying to play like them.. lol.. I remember one I want to dismount off the backend on my horse and I did it.. I jumped off a tree branch into the saddle and raced off.. But the funniest was teaching a horse that was very well trained to lope off when you put your foot into the stirup.. I saw it on a western.. lol.. So here is this horse racing off with me swinging into the saddle at about age 7 as I jumped up to get my foot in the dang thing.. lol.. I had to use the darn saddle strings in the back to help me mount .. lol.. Anyhow the old mare put up with me.. But the funny part is.. my older brother saddle "my" horse one day.. the minute he put his foot in the stirrup she was gone.. lol He was left standing, or falling all alone.. The horse knew how to ground tie before I 'trained" her.. loll I thought he would kill me.. later the very same brother went to take his girlfriend out for a ride on "my" new horse a young 1/2 arab 1/2 quarter horse and the "old" mare tossed him off to race back when I whistled.. lol.. Geesh.. he hated me then.. lol

In my defense no one else rode as much as I did.. so it just seemed sensible to work all the horses to my liking.. lol

The second time was in Tucson, AZ. I was a TV reporter and the first big screen "Lone Ranger" movie had been released and the scum producers sued Moore to prevent him from appearing anywhere as the Lone Ranger and enjoined him from wearing the mask. I can't remember exactly what he wore in response, but he was a true gentleman.

If I remember, RayBan made some sunglasses for him that he wore during guest appearances.

Pic

Denver Don,

Looking over Clayton Moore's movie and TV credits it looks like he wasn't very successful until The Lone Ranger series came along. Do you have any idea why he didn't do any more acting after the Ranger series ended?

Denver Don,

Looking over Clayton Moore's movie and TV credits it looks like he wasn't very successful until The Lone Ranger series came along. Do you have any idea why he didn't do any more acting after the Ranger series ended?

I think one reason is that he was pretty much type-cast when the series came to an end, much like George Reeves of Superman fame. Also, from what I've read, unlike Reeves, he was pretty content to be type-cast as the Lone Ranger. On the Hollywood Walk of Fame, if I remember correctly, he's the only actor there who has his character name along with his signature, "Clayton Moore, 'The Lone Ranger'."

I read somewhere where he said, "Portraying the Lone Ranger has made me a better man."

Denver Don,

In his bio Moore says he didn't want to play anyone but the Lone Ranger (hey, who can blame him?). As a result, he only got a few commercials, some appearances on 'where are they now' shows about old Western stars, and of course his personal appearance tours as the Lone Ranger.

• 5 weeks later...

Now you pards don't take this the wrong way as I am a huge Clayton Moore/Lone Ranger fan for oh at least 55 of my 61 years but something has been bothering me since I first read the OP.

Surprised UB or some other vets here didn't pick up on it. The OP says Clayton Moore was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Well they don't hand out CMHs for making movies which is what I read he did in WWII.

Anybody else got any insight?? Medal of Freedom or something like that I can buy but not the CMH...

Undoubtedly the Medal of Honor mention is incorrectly stated as Jack Carlton Moore is not listed as an MOH recipient on the CMOH webpage. Here's a biography from my favorite movie info site, IMDB.com.

Major Payne

Clayton Moore

Date of Birth

14 September 1914, Chicago, Illinois, USA (some sources say 1908)

Date of Death

28 December 1999, Los Angeles, California, USA (heart attack)

Birth Name

Jack Carlton Moore

Nickname

Clay

Height

6' 1" (1.85 m)

Mini Biography

Clayton Moore grew up in Illinois and was a circus acrobat at the age of eight. He would work his way up to aerialist with two circuses and also appear at the 1934 World's Fair. He then went to New York, where he found work as a male model. Hollywood was his next stop and he entered films in 1938 as a bit player and stuntman. In 1940, at the suggestion of producer Edward Small, he changed his first name to Clayton. He appeared in "B" pictures and serials through 1942, then entered the military. After the war he returned to these supporting roles while concentrating on westerns. By 1949 he was playing the "Masked Man", but that man was Zorro in Ghost of Zorro (1949). In 1949 he was hired to appear in "The Lone Ranger" (1949), the television version of the long-running radio show. One thing he had to do was to work on his voice so that he sounded like the radio Lone Ranger. When he got that right, he became famous, along with Tonto, on the small screen. He was The Lone Ranger from 1949 to 1952, when he was fired in a salary dispute. Along with William Boyd ("Hopalong Cassidy"), Moore was one of the most popular TV western stars of the era. He was replaced by John Hart, but Hart's tenure was terminated after one season. It was during his time away from the TV show that Moore returned to the big screen to continue his movie career with such memorable movies as Radar Men from the Moon (1952) and Jungle Drums of Africa (1953). Hired back to the series, at a higher salary, Moore remained as The Lone Ranger until the series ended in 1957, after 169 episodes. He appeared in two color big-screen movies continuations of that character, in The Lone Ranger (1956) and The Lone Ranger and the Lost City of Gold (1958). After a lifetime of "B" movie parts, Clayton Moore finally found success in a TV series and continued to make commercials and personal appearances as "The Lone Ranger" for the next three decades. At his appearances, he preached the Ranger's Code of good behavior, which he also practiced, and that image was never tarnished by the types of personal scandals that often affected other stars. In 1975 the Wrather Corp., which owned the series and the rights to the title character, got a court order to stop Moore from appearing in public as "The Lone Ranger". The company planned to film a new big-screen movie of the popular hero and did not want the public to confuse its new star with the old one. It would be the only screen appearance for Clinton Spilsbury , this "new Lone Ranger". Although appearing rugged and good looking in the "umasked" sequence , his voice projected so poorly it was overdubbed by a more gifted speaker.The film was one of the biggest flops of the 1980s, however, and Moore was given permission to again appear as "The Lone Ranger". From 1982-1999 Clayton Moore appeared as Jerry Potter, often but not always as a bearded character, as he had done previously in several episodes of " The Lone Ranger" (1949-1957).

IMDb Mini Biography By: Tony Fontana <tony.fontana@spacebbs.com>

Spouse

Clarita (18 January 1992 - 28 December 1999) (his death)

Connie (August 1986 - 1989) (divorced)

Sally Allen (24 April 1943 - 22 February 1986) (her death) 1 child

Mary Moore (19 August 1940 - April 1942) (divorced)

Trivia

Best remembered as TV's "The Lone Ranger."

Inducted into the Stuntman's Hall of Fame in 1982.

Received the Western Heritage Award from the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in 1990.

"The Lone Ranger" premiered on WXYZ-AM radio in Detroit, MI, in 1933. The show was created because WXYZ, a small station, could not afford network programs. After getting the role in the TV series "The Lone Ranger" (1949), Moore had to train his voice to sound more like the radio Lone Ranger, Brace Beemer. Moore's favorite character was "The Ol' Prospector", in which the Lone Ranger would dress up as a crotchety old miner and infiltrate places to gather information. He used the character on his home answering machine in Calabasas, CA, and would greet callers with it.

He had a history of heart trouble, and died at 9:20 am PST of a heart attack.

Liked to quote and live by "The Lone Ranger Creed" written by Fran Striker around 1940, which began, "I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one" and included moral lessons such as, "God put the firewood there, but every man must gather and light it himself".

He is the only person to have a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame with both his name AND the character he was famous for playing. His star says, "Clayton Moore, The Lone Ranger".

Adopted a baby girl, Dawn Angela, in December of 1958.

Inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1990.

Was a stuntman for many years before becoming "The Lone Ranger". During 1952 when the producers of "The Lone Ranger" (1949) replaced him for a year with John Hart due to a salary dispute, he appeared under the name of Rex Moore as a "Ryker" in Shane (1953). It was a brief part consisting of a memorable fight scene between Shane and the Ryker family.

"The Lone Ranger" (1949) premiered on September 15, 1949, exactly one day after his 35th birthday.

Of the nearly 200 appearances Moore made with co-star Jay Silverheels, they appeared together in just three features where they did NOT play The Lone Ranger and Tonto: Perils of Nyoka (1942), The Cowboy and the Indians (1949), and The Black Dakotas (1954).

During his hiatus from "The Lone Ranger" (1949) in 1952-53 he appeared in three serials: Radar Men from the Moon (1952), Son of Geronimo: Apache Avenger (1952) and Jungle Drums of Africa (1953).

In an earlier "masked" role, he was the title character in Ghost of Zorro (1949).

"Silvercup Bread" was the original sponsor of "The Lone Ranger" on radio. Hence, the use of silver bullets and his horse named "Silver".

Appears as The Lone Ranger, with his horse Silver, on a 44¢ USA commemorative postage stamp in the Early TV Memories issue honoring "The Lone Ranger" (1949), issued 11 August 2009.

Published an autobiography, "I Was That Masked Man".

In 1952 when John Hart assumed the role of "The Lone Ranger" for 52 episodes on ABC, CBS began showing reruns of the first 78 episodes (1949-51) with Moore as "The Lone Ranger", on Saturday afternoons. When Moore returned to the series in 1954, he was seen as the "only Lone Ranger", twice weekly, on ABC and with reruns on CBS.

Personal Quotes

Playing him [the Lone Ranger] made me a better person.

Once I got the Lone Ranger role, I didn't want any other. I was playing the good guy.

[on 2/4/85, about his Lone Ranger costume] I will continue wearing the white hat and black mask until I ride up into the big ranch in the sky.

[in 1982] Clayton Moore and The Lone Ranger are one and the same. I'm proud that I decided to wear the white hat for the rest of my life.

Now you pards don't take this the wrong way as I am a huge Clayton Moore/Lone Ranger fan for oh at least 55 of my 61 years but something has been bothering me since I first read the OP.

Surprised UB or some other vets here didn't pick up on it. The OP says Clayton Moore was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Well they don't hand out CMHs for making movies which is what I read he did in WWII.

Anybody else got any insight?? Medal of Freedom or something like that I can buy but not the CMH...

The award was a DSC, and it was given to a Clayton H Moore in WW1, 1918. Hope this helps. MT

No, MT that don't help. Since Moore was either born in 1914 or 1908 he could not have earned any medal in 1918. The Lone Ranger served in WWII in AAF movie making roles. Doubtful he would have received any kind of valor award just for making flicks. Distinquished service perhaps but no valor awards, much less the CMH.

Must have been some other Clayton Moore in 1918. Perhaps the father.

Not sure what medals Clayton Moore won, if any. But here's a great site that talks about the stars of the silver screen who actually did win medals for serving their country. It's surprising, to say the least. A big contrast to the stars of today who often do nothing but "bad mouth" the country that gave them the freedom to do so. By the way, it does mention Moore as serving in the Air Force.

Movie Star War Vets

No, MT that don't help. Since Moore was either born in 1914 or 1908 he could not have earned any medal in 1918. The Lone Ranger served in WWII in AAF movie making roles. Doubtful he would have received any kind of valor award just for making flicks. Distinquished service perhaps but no valor awards, much less the CMH.

Must have been some other Clayton Moore in 1918. Perhaps the father.

What I was trying to convey, and thought you would see, was that somewere, some writer was mistaken about the WW1, and Clayton Moore the Lone Ranger. They were also not related. Clayton Moore, changed his name from Jack to Clayton in 1938 after a suggestion by Edward Small a Hollywood producer. In 1943 Clayton Moore was called into military duty by the USAAF, he made numerous training films for the Army and Air Force, plus many voice over, (even then his voice was distinct). After the war and released, he never received any combat related medals, since he had a knee injury which kept him not only from combat duty, but also so late in being called up, even though he tried to enlist at the beginning.

Again, were you read it, was probable some writer who couldn't distinguish between the two,nor the differences in dates, and wars, just so Clayton Moore. I don't know what medals were given to Lee Powell, the 1st film Lone Ranger, who served in WW2 as a Marine, and died at Tinian, but his death brought headlines in several large papers as, "The Lone Ranger dies at Tinian", "The Lone Ranger Dies Serving his Country". These were 2 of the headlines.

Sometimes writers, or even actors agents give incorrect info out to publicize their wards, Tom Mix was probable the best in incorrect info. He loved it also, and Tom Mix would never deny any of it, also would say if it was true neither. MT

Gone but not forgotten, he lives on in the hearts of his fans.

A kindly Lady approached me at Ambush this past Saturday and told me that her Mother had been one of "my" biggest fans even back in the days of the radio show, before "I" was on TV.

She then thanked me for the joy that "I" had given to her, and to her mother, over the years.

I was amazed and touched at the way she spoke to me - as though to her, I was that same cowboy hero her mother had so admired, those many decades before my own birth.

It's a wonderful gift to be able to evoke that joy in so many others, and it's humbling to have them share their stories with me.

At first I had misgivings about 'locking myself in' to the one SASS character; some of my early cowboy pards told me it would "get old" running around in that silly outfit. It hasn't.

The devotion of the fans is a testament to the character of the hero that Trendle and Striker created, and to the character of the actor that so famously embodied the role for so many years.

So, thank you, Clayton Moore - and thank you, Lone Ranger. I, too, am inspired to be a better person by the devotion of all those who love and admire that masked hero - I only hope my own meager efforts to carry on the memory will be worthy.

Respectfully,

TMM

Archived