SASS Wire Forum

Ok: Survival from Pretend Biological Disaster

Aunt Jen

The other thread got us going, but what if we speculated some more? Since all disasters would have their own nature, their own inherent problems, perhaps we could pick one to learn from?

Pretend Scenario: BIOLOGICAL DISASTER: The Air Flu

Suppose there were the development of an Air Flu that was spreading actively through both air and contact. Some folks do fine with it, but a majority of folks seem like they can get sick from it, and it has a mortality rate that makes it a major concern. The planet isn't going to end, but societies around the globe are beginning to feel the pinch, economically, interpersonally, with people afraid to go out, let alone to work.

What kinds of BOB and SHTF preps would we think are important? Specifically?

In the medical field, they use the term "Universal Precautions" to cover protecting yourself (reasonably) from most every thing.

In addition to the food/water/personal-protection stuff, you'd want disposable gloves (Nitril), bottle of waterless hand cleaner and N98 paper face-masks in your 1st-aid kit. Flu, AIDS or Zombie-infection; it's all the same.

Don't think the Flu is "tame", during different times in history it killed almost 1/4th of the population :o

Aunt Jen,

A number of topics of this type are available on a series titled Midway USA "The Best Defense Survival".

It is from the 2009 Outdoor Channel season. There are 10 episodes on 2 dvds one episode is titled Pandemic.

There was a TV show TLC or Discovery title something like "after armagedon"

Hacker

Do you really want to spend all your time, money, effort, and sanity preparing for every conceivable future event? I have made what reasonable preps I can, knowing that the chances of them happening are remote and that if they do occur, my chances of surviving them intact (if at all) are also remote.

I choose daily striving to get by and enjoying myself in spite of everything to living in a paranoid nightmare.

So far I'm doing pretty well if I stay off public roads and highways and never go to a shopping mall or big box store.

I was in Walmart a few years back and watched a snotty nosed kid spit up, chew and sneeze on the handle of the shopping cart. Since that day I won't use a cart in any store unless they have the disinfectant wipes handy for me to clean it up first.

Strangely enough, I haven't had a cold or flu since I started doing that.

A simple thing but very effective.

I was in Walmart a few years back and watched a snotty nosed kid spit up, chew and sneeze on the handle of the shopping cart. Since that day I won't use a cart in any store unless they have the disinfectant wipes handy for me to clean it up first.

Strangely enough, I haven't had a cold or flu since I started doing that.

A simple thing but very effective.

Boy that's for sure. And I keep a bottle of anti-bac hand cleaner in the truck too.

Usually, in a pretend biological disaster, I pretend to be immune.

My name is Legend. :lol:

Your local Veteranarian has stuff that is better for humans than what they often prescribe for us. I keep powdered Terramyacin around here for the horses. While I cannot "legally" recommend it for humans, I "might" have taken some for bronchitis and sinus infections if were legal. ;)

Bodine

Your local Veteranarian has stuff that is better for humans than what they often prescribe for us. I keep powdered Terramyacin around here for the horses. While I cannot "legally" recommend it for humans, I "might" have taken some for bronchitis and sinus infections if were legal. ;)

Bodine

Tetracycline works good too. for cattle of course :rolleyes:

Bodine

+1 ;)

Archived