SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Memorial Chapel Fund drive at Half Way Point

Folks, I asked Palaver Pete for an update as to what one of his projects for the Cowboy Memorial Chapel had accomplished, and here is what he sent to me to share with you all.

“We took a long shot and it hit target. We asked ourselves: “Would the NRA Foundation be receptive to a grant request for a Chapel that will also serve as a community meeting place for shooters and neighbors alike?” With nothing to lose we gave it a shot. With the help of New Mexico’s NRA Field Representative, Mr. Peter Ide, we completed an application for a grant and submitted it to our NRA Foundation in Virginia. The process wasn’t easy. With the Feds looking over their shoulder all the time, the NRA Foundation must be sure to dot every I, and cross every T, and this we did with Mr. Ide’s help. Incidentally, Mr. Ide is AKA Rusty Pete, SASS #85975.

Lo and behold, we asked for $10,000 and got $2,000! Yep, our (and we emphasize OUR) NRA Foundation came through and granted us $2,000! Keep that in mind next time you get a letter request for a contribution to the NRA or are asked to attend the local NRA Banquet. Well although the grant really helps, we are still only at the half way point and to reach $75,000, we need your continued help and your Club's help. Some Clubs are putting on Chapel Shoots, and many are selling Chapel Insurance Policies and sending the revenue our way. Whatever the means, we need your help. We’ll continue to do all we can at this end, but without the help of our clubs, the last half of the run will be tough.”

Well, ain't that great news indeed!!

Long Jim Hancock and I sure want to thank Palaver Pete for all of his efforts on behalf of the Cowboy Memorial Chapel, this grant being just the tip of the surface of what he has done.

We also are certainly glad to have Cree Vicar Dave helping out in our efforts, and want to welcome our newest member to the gang, Singin' Sue!

Well, I am glad to announce that as of the last report from SASS Headquarters, they have received $36,361.82- add to that the $2,000 that the NRA has given to the cause and we are at $38,381.82. With a goal of $75,000, we are officially better than half way there!!

Thanks to all who have given so far to bring us to the half-way point.

Maurice 'Mo' Lasses

Archived