SASS Wire Forum

My friend's wife is getting a 1911

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

I had a Remington Rand/Essex hybrid custom. Nothing but trouble from the git-go. Traded it off on my AMT Hardballer and never looked back!

Bodine

I had a Remington Rand/Essex hybrid custom. Nothing but trouble from the git-go. Traded it off on my AMT Hardballer and never looked back!

Bodine

Howdy Bo. I'm talking about the relatively new Remington that came out last year. These are from the Remington Arms Co. which is different from Remington Rand.

My wife (5'3" 125lbs) shoots a Springfield 1911 EMP 9mm (micro compact 1911) as well as a Kimber Aegis II 9mm full size. She also shoots a Springfield Loaded 1911 .45acp for CMP matches (Modified with mil-spec grip safety). The slightly smaller frame of the 9mm EMP has been nice for her. She's an NRA distinguished expert pistol shooter, so she's pretty handy with a pistol, but she definitely prefers the 9mm over the .45acp.

I have a Springfield Micro Compact and a Kimber Ultra Covert (LOVE the desert tan/green frame and digital desert grips) as carry pieces, and use a Springfield Loaded 1911 and a Kimber Eclipse Target that I've modified for CMP matches (grip safety replacement).

As others have mentioned, the Kimber is slightly more finicky, but I wouldn't dare say it's unreliable. After 200+rnds in one day without cleaning, it's more likely to need a tap to the rear of the slide to close than the springfield, but it's not remotely what I'd call unreliable

I'm incredibly happy with all of these pistols. The Springfields were much nicer on the pocket book out of the gate, but the Kimber's are definitely easier on the eyes. The Kimbers definitely had nicer triggers and lighter pulls than the Springfields, but that was a very easy fix. It took more modifications/tuning to get the Springfields 'race ready', but honestly, even after the extra tuning, I have LESS MONEY invested in the Springfields and they shoot every bit as well as the Kimbers. If it says anything, my Springfield is my standby competition pistol with the Kimber filling the "back-up" role.

I'm very pleased with my Kimber Custom II-their most basic model. It has the features most people want, beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, extended mag release button and good snag-free combat sights. The gun comes with rubber double-diamond checkered grips that are relatively thin. The trigger pull is crisp and, like all Kimbers, my gun is ridiculously accurate. The gun is legal for Wild Bunch modern and I've done fairly well with it. I have small hands and the grips and other features work well for me.

Right now Bud's has this model in stock selling for $700, including shipping to your ffl.

I had a 70's vintage Gold Cup in the 70's that I sold for college expenses and I intend to replace that great pistol someday, but my Kimber is more versatile.

For shooting purposes (as opposed to carrying), I really prefer the full-size steel frame 1911's.

Howdy Bo. I'm talking about the relatively new Remington that came out last year. These are from the Remington Arms Co. which is different from Remington Rand.

Been "out of the loop" for awhile, didn't know they were making new ones. Thanks for the info pard, I'll have to check those out. I am a big fan og 1911s.

Bodine

Having never owned a 1911, I am in no way qualified to answer this post. Having said that, this is the internet which automatically makes me an expert on any subject that I want to be ;).

I've been researching 1911's for a few months now, mainly for just playing around with Wild Bunch a little. The two that I am most considering are the STI Spartan and the Rock Island 2011 rail gun. Both are made by Armscor in the Philipines. The STI has an Armscor frame, slide, and barrel with STI internals and is warrantied by STI. The Rock Island is the most inexpensive 2011 that I have come across. I don't think that either are legal for WB (the STI has a fiber optic front sight, while the RI might be overweight), but my .38 rifle isn't legal either so I'd only shoot WB in some local matches for fun.

Hey Gunner, just curious as to why the Remington is not on the list? I love my Colt, but I've been impressed with the few Remmies I've seen.

The other thing to consider is the mainspring housing shape. Would she be more comfortable with a curved or flat housing? Might be best for her to hold several to see if she has a preference.

He mentioned to me that he didn't know about the new Remmie version..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

There are three models of the Remington R1 but only the "mil spec" version is currently available in any quantity. I bought one for shooting Traditional category in WB and like it so far. Small hand size is not a real issue with a 1911. I have small hands and solved that problem with slim grips and short triggers. There are many "drop in" parts for 1911's that are not really drop in but they can be fit without too much difficulty. As has already been stated, leaving a 1911 cocked and locked for long periods is a non-issue. I picked up a 1941 commercial model Colt recently that was wrapped in an oily rag inside a newspaper dated 1976. It was loaded and in Condition One. I unloaded it, checked for function, reloaded the mag and fired it to slide lock with the original mag and ammo. Worked great!!!! :)

His Post asked specificallyabout 3 makers of 1911's.Not the entire range of available 1911's...The Gentleman obviously has decided on one of the 3 mentioned: Colt, Kimber or Springfield.

They discuss the three brands O.P.s mentions in his post. ;) I am not aware of a discussion board that only covers Colts, Kimber and Springfields and did not know O.P. was aware of this one. :)

I wish I knew which of all of the guns that were talked about were sass WB legal.Thinking about looking for one.

Howdy,

Just in case you are lookin fer a 1911, I just went onto gunbroker and

did a search and about 2400 are available.

Now some were 22 and some were 9s, so I probably shooda added 45.

And fer that pard who wanted his norinco back, there were some nib ones

fer under 500.

Best

CR

Can't speak for the Kimber.

I have Colt 1911's they have all shot well. No problems. I do like the Colt XSE and it's features, on a waiting list for to get another one right now.

Springfield, I bought my first one 24 years ago. I have shot many matches with it from bowling pins to Wild Bunch. It is a box stock gun that has never had anything done to it. More importantly it is not magazine finicky or ammo finicky.

I also have a Springfield EMP 9mm, great little gun with night sites on it. It carrys real easy and is accurate. Being a 9 mm it is easy one the recoil.

As much as I like the Springfield and the Colt I just bought a Ruger 1911.

Howdy,

Just in case you are lookin fer a 1911, I just went onto gunbroker and

did a search and about 2400 are available.

Now some were 22 and some were 9s, so I probably shooda added 45.

And fer that pard who wanted his norinco back, there were some nib ones

fer under 500.

Best

CR

I was at an estate auction and only gave $185 for it with less than 50 rounds out of it (right-place/right-time). I let my best friend have it for that and don't have bucks to put down for another. Besides, my AMT Hardballer is awesome and I have a Tokerev in 9mm as a back-up. ;) Thanks for the info though!

Bodine

I was at an estate auction and only gave $185 for it with less than 50 rounds out of it (right-place/right-time). I let my best friend have it for that and don't have bucks to put down for another. Besides, my AMT Hardballer is awesome and I have a Tokerev in 9mm as a back-up. ;) Thanks for the info though!

Bodine

My friend (we called him 'The Kid') had an AMT chambered in .30 Carbine - it was very cool to shoot, but it was very tight and the springs were 'industrial' strong. A fine piece though.

:FlagAm: I've owned several different ones. Personally my favorite is a Colt Commander and tied for second is the Springfield and Ruger. I got rid of the Kimber's due to thier being so picky about what you shoot through them. My latest is the 1911-2011 Colt. Its just a piece of history to honor those in my family who survived the South Pacific in WWII. :FlagAm:

I would suggest they try and get to a range that rents guns, and let her try several out and decide for herself which one she likes best.

That's the plan....but nothin' wrong with gettin' some extra info too via the pards here who know that pistol well :)

Just to stick to the original topic...he was asking about Kimber, Colt, or Springfield. Between those three, I'd go with Springfield.

Hey Gunner, just curious as to why the Remington is not on the list? I love my Colt, but I've been impressed with the few Remmies I've seen.

The other thing to consider is the mainspring housing shape. Would she be more comfortable with a curved or flat housing? Might be best for her to hold several to see if she has a preference.

Archived