SASS Wire Forum

My friend's wife is getting a 1911

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

" I am going to be buying Holly a pistol soon, so I wanted toget your input on a 1911 .45 ACP as which you feel is the best buy: Colt,Springfield or Kimber? The 1911 has a thinner grip and fits her hand better."

I wrote him back with my thoughts, but what are yours. He lives in Cali....am going to send him this link so he can see what the 'cowboys' think seein' there are alot of military, LEO, and marksmen here with good knowledge of this pistol.

Thanks pards...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Kind of a Chevy/Ford/Dodge question IMO. Can't really go wrong with any of those you mentioned, once again IMO. I've owned Colts, Kimbers and now an RIA mil spec and would own any of them again if needed. And I drive a GMC pickup ;)

All three companies make some fine guns, and very few that I would not trust my life to.

But, as to "best" - that depends upon what they/she plan(s) to do with it. Stuffing it in the bed side table and not pulling it out except to wave at someone without ever intending to shoot it - won't matter (in fact, keep it unloaded and remove the firing pin, too :lol:). A daily carry piece - lots of things to consider. A competition gun for a great shooter - lots of things to consider, too, and different than the previous things to consider.

So, "it just depends"

Good luck, GJ

Springfield is the least expensive. Colt and Kimber are both higher quality. depends on what he wants.

No mention on if she is an experienced shooter trained in the use of the 1911, which I consider to be a critical factor. If she isn't, a Glock would make more sense.

I understand guys - she will be shooting it (for match or plinking I don't know) so it won't just be a night stand item. I sent him the link with the Sig Sauer 1911 too as they have oodles of versions to choose from...

He owns a P220 (that has a wider grip) so that's where the "The 1911 has a thinner grip and fits her hand better" comment possibly coming from.

I just picked up a Remington R-1. Shot 300 rounds of factory ball. Than 400 rounds of my reloads. 230gr RNL. No malfunctions at all. I use it for Wild Bunch. It goes for about $700- $750. ^_^

I would suggest Springfield. Not as pricey as either the Colt or the Kimber, but very reliable. If she is going to be a match shooter, she should look at the Springfield Range Officer. If she is a WB shooter the Mil-Spec is a great choice.

I have had several over the years, my favorite is no longer made or I'd recommend it (AMT Hardballer SS). If I had the bucks to plunk down right now, a new Rock Island Armoury would be where I'd put my money. $425 new at the local gun shop and look/feel just like the ones I carried on watch in the USN. I had a Norinco 1911 Mil-Spec that is suprisingly well made and functions flawlessly, but I let my best friend talk me out of it several years back and he won't sell it back to me! :P

Bodine

Again..I know the question is rather open, but since he will be reading this thread please feel free to say what ya can. He already wrote me back complimenting y'all. Gave him a link to 'The Cowboys' in Norco so maybe he might get out there amd get hooked ;)

GG

And for what its worth my next 1911 will be the Ruger. That may be awhile though as I am looking to bring my trusty Colt 1991A1 for WB once I get that '97 Winnie.

Not sure if the Ruger is Cali legal...anyone know.

GG

In my ever so humble opinion, Kimbers are the most over priced 1911s on the market. Yes, they're good guns but, they're not THAT good. Colts are also good but, you're paying more for the name than you are the actual gun. That leaves Springfield which I've been saying for years provides the most value for the least amount of $$$. My wife's competition gun is a full size Springfield and her carry gun is a Springfield Champion Loaded. Both have been flawless for a lot of years and a LOT of rounds.

Springfield as the best bang for the buck. Kimbers are great guns that offer from basic guns at competitive prices to semi-custom guns with packages that save a lot of money over doing it yourself.

I do love my Series 70 and pre 70's Colts when you find a good one at good prices

Wyatt

" I am going to be buying Holly a pistol soon, so I wanted toget your input on a 1911 .45 ACP as which you feel is the best buy: Colt,Springfield or Kimber? The 1911 has a thinner grip and fits her hand better."

I wrote him back with my thoughts, but what are yours. He lives in Cali....am going to send him this link so he can see what the 'cowboys' think seein' there are alot of military, LEO, and marksmen here with good knowledge of this pistol.

Thanks pards...

Have some of each, all have served faithfully for a lot of years and uncounted rounds downrange. When I concealed carry a 1911 I carry the Colt, when I carry in a holster (camping or whatnot) it is the Kimber and my ride in the glovebox truck gun is the Springfield. (only cuz it cost less to begin with so I am not so heartbroken over all the scratches). You might also look at the S&W 1911 as it is a sweet shooter as well but definately prefers round nose bullets. Also I have a Scandium version that is really light but actually kicks and can be uncomfortable to shoot for extended periods.

Regards (and happy shooting)

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

My experience is all I can address. I carried 1911's off duty for 27 years and daily for protection for the last 12 since retirement. I have owned 15 or 20 and all have been Colts. I have thousands of rounds through several Colts over the years without a gun related malfunction. My current carry is a Colt LW Government Model with over 5000 rounds through it. No problems. I carry and shoot what I trust. :)

As you said, This is a very open question. It really depends on what she is going to use it for and how much experience she has. A couple of things I found while shopping for my wife is:

1)If she is not comfortable with the firearm she is not going to use it.

2)There are a lot of slide guns she could not operate because of the force that was required to work the action.

3)If it was too big she was going to leave it at home.

For those with little experence with firearms I would recomend a wheelgun. My wife first purse gun was a S&w 642 and she loved it. In my opion, a 1911 style firearm requires a lot of range time to master and learn how to deal with several types of malfunctions.

Rowdy

And for what its worth my next 1911 will be the Ruger. That may be awhile though as I am looking to bring my trusty Colt 1991A1 for WB once I get that '97 Winnie.

Not sure if the Ruger is Cali legal...anyone know.

GG

Nope not legal off the shelf in Ca unless your a Leo

I agree with the posters who state that a 1911 is difficult to master. There is a large learning curve but none of us started at the top of the curve. We all arrived the same way. Training and practice. The lady can become very proficient with a 1911 if she has basic skills and chooses to do so. I'm prejudiced but there is no better defense platform out there.

True enough on the training. I've shot them so long now I forget that not just anyone can pick one up and deal with it. I got my marksmanship qualififcation in the USN on the 1911's back in 1984. They are a critter unto themselves. Once you learn to use them though, you can shoot just about anything that comes along.

Bodine

The 1911, in my opinion, in the best offensive handgun and the most fun to shoot. I have shot SASS and IPSC for a total of ten years. I have owned 1911's by Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Ithaca and Para but I prefer the 1911's that S&W is putting out. I use a Performance Center Doug Keonig model for IPSC.

That being said, the 1911 is a tough gun to master, especially for people with small hands. It also makes a better offensive weapon than a defensive weapon (that ought to bring some responses). Other guns are more 'at rest' in the night stand, where the 1911 in cocked-n-locked mode is under full mainspring compression.

Other worthy guns for the new shooter with smaller hands would be Ruger P345, Springfield XD in 9 or .40 or S&W 3913 in 9mm (no longer made but a great little 9mm). Kahr's are also a good gun for someone with smaller hands.

Pards - she is not a 'greenhorn' with shooting....

Appreciate the concern as of course we need to hit all bases...thanks y'all!

Nope not legal off the shelf in Ca unless your a Leo

Figured as such as I saw here also

http://ruger.com/search/group/?cat=ca

or should I say "I didn't see it here' :D

...THANKS pard for confirming!

GG ~:FlagAm:

You might also consider the Para Ordinance 1911 single stacker. TOP quality gun, best trigger in the industry (stock) and with the right selection it has a one piece feed ramp and barrel assembly. Mine will feed anything that will go bang.

Small hands are not an issue with the 1911, as I wear a size small to xsmall mens gloves and when the US Army issued it shot expert every time. You do need a little hand strenth to work the slide and control recoil. Recoil can be lessened by using lighter bullets in the 165 to 185 range, Federal, Cobon, Hornady Critical Defense, all non plus p for obvious reasons. Check your history as a lot of people where killed in the Civil War with a 451 size lead ball around the 120 to 150 grain weight. I have 1942 Colt/Rock Island hybred, Rock Island, Detonics, and even a Kimber in 22lr, they all work well and would bet my life on minus the 22lr due to bullet size. Rock Islands are a little more rough out the box, the rest work smoother. They take more training to use safely. Also I leave mine cocked and locked for months on end with no issues in reliability.

In order of quality, cost and resale, and desirability:All based on NIB Pistols..The secondary used market obviously will produce lower prices, except on the Colt

1- COLT 1911, unequivocally, hands down favorite;any one of several models from Compact XSE, Defender, to Commander to Full size(many models and configurations available including Colt Custom Shop Special Orders built for you)..Colt is still the only true 1911..Colt (JM Browning) invented it, and retains value even if shot a ton, if properly cared for.Flawless reliability with 230 gr ball ammo which it was originally designed for; For target shooting, Colt Gold Cup National Match is still out of the box competition ready pistol of choice , incredible adjustable trigger,Eliason adjustable target sights, enhanced grip frame 5" full size, truly a Factory competition ready target pistol. My all time favorite 1911.I own quite a few Colt 1911's from 1918-Present Models.Would rather own a Colt than any other make for any purpose.The 'real deal' WB pistol in 1911 Government Model 'trim'.

A Classic that will never grow old or depreciate! Great pride of ownership!Any Colt 1911 is heirloom quality just because it is a COLT and has been produced for 100 years in basically exact same configuration.Many Factory custom models avaiable.Prices from $850-UP for new pistols

2-Kimber..about same starting price as Colt, starting at approx. $850 and up depending on model..Most acccurate out of the box 1911 style pistol.I would recommend the Kimber pro Carry II, alloy frame, lightweight, 4" barrel, highly recomend for a Lady due to lightweight and easy handling, very accurate and very reliable with quality factory ammo(can be finicky with improperly sized handloads and doesn't like cast lead bullets much.I don't recommend it for Wild Bunch.;Downside, recoil spring must be changed approx. every 500 rounds.Excellent quality.Excellent resale value...will not lose money if you resell it if properly cared for.

Best shot with factory ammo, needs to have at least 200 rounds shot through it to 'break it in'.Unique and simple takedown on models without barrel bushings.

Many model variations and configurations available.Basically, custom 1911's at every price level and every configuration.Price range from $850-'skys the limit' for very limited custom pistols..average price: $800-1200 and UP for entry level pistols.Secondary market used Kimbers also demand higher prices than most factory 1911's.Kimber is also exclusive importer and distributor for Meprolight night sights which are among the very best.

3-Springfield..Excellent quality for the much lower entry level price(expensive models are available from compact to full size as well as custom models) and value conscious.Accurate enough, reliable and digests handloads better than the Kimber;Will not appreciate except on limited production custom compact and comp models.The GI model is a very good WB pistol that yopu won't mind 'banging around the loading table or props' due to relatively low price.

Good value for the buck.Wide range of models from compact to full size, GI and custom models.Very Reliable with proper ammo.

You can't go wrong with either of the 3 1911's above..Just depends on what purpose you will use the pistol for, custom options you want, and price range you can afford

Best investment grade 1911: COLT, and always will be.

PS: A single stack 1911 will have the thinnest and most comfortable grip for a Lady

Talk about opening a can of worms! There are lots of good choices to pick from. I suggest doing some reading on this link as they cover a lot of different manufacturers and models;

http://forums.1911forum.com/

Talk about opening a can of worms! There are lots of good choices to pick from. I suggest doing some reading on this link as they cover a lot of different manufacturers and models;

yup..aware of that site - wanted to get the opinion of my cowboy pards though.....thanks

no worms here...

His Post asked specificallyabout 3 makers of 1911's.Not the entire range of available 1911's...The Gentleman obviously has decided on one of the 3 mentioned: Colt, Kimber or Springfield.

Hey Gunner, just curious as to why the Remington is not on the list? I love my Colt, but I've been impressed with the few Remmies I've seen.

The other thing to consider is the mainspring housing shape. Would she be more comfortable with a curved or flat housing? Might be best for her to hold several to see if she has a preference.

Archived