SASS Wire Forum

need advice on giving potential private-sale rifle buyer serial#

Del N. Quent

I can only suspect that this revelation might not be too popular and could actually go over as well as a "box of rocks" for some,

but, here goes....

Using the resources afforded Law Enforcement Officers to "look up" information outside of a legitimate investigation is really NOT an OK thing to be doing or asking of someone in that might be in a position to do so.

Expecting that your friend the LEO would do this "favor" for you can readily result in thier dismissal from thier position -AND- the fairly high likely-hood of thier reprimand , and maybe even thier prosecution for misuse of a restricted Law Enforcement ONLY resource.

ALL use of these databases is monitored and traceable. You all know that we don't exist in the world portrayed in the movies & on the TV set.

If you pay even moderate attention you can often read about folks that have access to these resources being burned for casual use of the aforementioned database information.

Think about it, even though your friend or acquiantance is willing to perform the action does not mean that they aren't risking the job that feeds thier family and protects yours, but also thier freedom and possibly, the respect of thier peers.

Both the Sheriff's Office and the city police department where I used to work, will run serial numbers on firearms to check if they are listed as stolen. That's a legitimate use of "official resources". I guess they feel that comes under the "serve" part of "serve and protect".

Both the Sheriff's Office and the city police department where I used to work, will run serial numbers on firearms to check if they are listed as stolen. That's a legitimate use of "official resources". I guess they feel that comes under the "serve" part of "serve and protect".

That is the same here.

I can go to the SO here and they will run the serial #.

Some people, just don't get it is all :rolleyes:

Cheers,

LG

Hi Bad Hand (and Lumpy),

I'm glad to read your posts. Seems that what you write is the way things should be. It is an honest request when purchasing a gun.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived