SASS Wire Forum

You Make The Call

Cypress Sun

10 pistol, 10 rifle, 4+ shotgun. There are 5 balloons hanging on a wire approx 5' above ground, spaced 2' apart. Order calls for pistols 1st with the 1st 5 shots at each balloon,one per balloon (at this point a missed balloon is not a miss). If shooter missed a balloon on 1st go around, shooter can re-engage the balloon with 1 shot per missed balloon and then engage a static target (remaining balloons will be a miss). Rifle next, nothing to do with balloons. Shotgun is last at 4 knockdown targets which are well behind and to the left of the balloon location.

Shooter engages the 5 balloons with the 1st pistol rounds, missing 1. Shooter shoots the 6th shot at the remaining balloon, missing it and proceding on to the static targets as per the scenario with no misses. Shoots the rifle in the correct order/shots with no misses. Shoot the shotgun targets in the correct order/shots with all targets down, however on the 3rd shotgun shot splatter comes back and pops the remaining balloon.

Is the shooter clean for the stage?

The field ruling was that shooter was clean as the directions were followed and the balloon was not there at the end of the shooting string. I agreed with the call, what about the fire?

C.S.

:lol: :lol:

Gotta love these!

Did the instructions that said any remaining balloons count as a miss follow immediately after the pistol instructions and before the rifle and shotgun instructions? If so I would call it a miss. (and that is where they should have been IMHO).

On the other hand if the instructions indicating remaining balloons count as a miss were at the very end I would call it clean. Either way I would be getting a good chuckle out of it.

I'd say it was a miss as it was not hit with the specified firearm.

Same would apply for a pistol knock down left standing that got blown down by a freak gust of wind while the shooter was shooting the next gun.

If shooter missed a balloon on 1st go around, shooter can re-engage the balloon with 1 shot per missed balloon and then engage a static target (remaining balloons will be a miss).

C.S.

Ballons had nothing to do with the shotgun part of the stage, remaing ballon after pistol string = a miss. :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

A target that is hit with the incorrect gun type or with illegally-acquired ammo is a miss. Look at the Miss Flow Chart in the RO I handbook.

Nothing in the stage instructions allowed the shooter to make up a balloon with the shotgun.

A Miss.

Good luck, GJ

Stage designers should note - always count on splatter from any target coming back toward the firing line. Don't put anything important (like a pard's firearm) between firing line and any target (or even a heavily-constructed prop that is capable of "returning fire").

If you consider the balloons the same as KD's...the following could be applied:

2. All knockdown targets (shotgun, rifle, or revolver) must go down to count. Any knockdown target still standing once the shooter has engaged the next sequence of the stage will be counted as a miss.
Stage Conventions - SHB p.21

It's a good thing the wind wasn't blowing or you would have a lot of these calls!

And the reset times must have been ridiculous with all that huffing and puffing trying to blow up balloons for the next shooter........

Or, he hit the target with the wrong type of gun, which is a miss........

If you consider the balloons the same as KD's...the following could be applied:

Stage Conventions - SHB p.21

Or, he hit the target with the wrong type of gun, which is a miss........

"...Shoot the shotgun targets in the correct order/shots with all targets down, however on the 3rd shotgun shot splatter comes back and pops the remaining balloon."

If the KD convention is applied, it is a miss as soon as he fired the next gun (rifle).

EDIT: Actually, as soon as he went to the "static" pistol target.

Collateral damage from the SG engagement (whether on balloons or KD's) would be irrelevant.

Applying both a HIT & a MISS for the same fired SG round doesn't make sense...unless the balloon becomes a "no shoot" target (with an attendant penalty) once the last pistol shot has been fired.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm: the way i read the instructions it should be a miss. because he went to the next target and left the baloon when the instructions implies he can shoot remaining bloons before moving to static target(statics targets how many and how many had to be ebgaded) ONE MISS

Completely off-topic but this reminded me of a flintlock woodswalk I did twenty years ago. I was shooting my .58 trade-gun at a buffalo target with a baloon over the heart at about 100 yards (off-hand, no rear sight)and as the two judges were explaining to me the next step and were about to record the target as a miss, one of the judges says "holy sh!#, look at that!" The baloon was slowly deflating as we watched. Guess I just grazed it but they went ahead and scored it as a hit and it was talked about at the fires that night. Just an old memory, sorry to interrupt.

Bodine

Archived