SASS Wire Forum

Sniper Bullets

Just saw an episode of Modern Marvel on Bullets. In that episode Marine Snipers handloads their own ammunitions to maintain consistency. The episode noted that the loaders weighs everything: projectiles, casings, primers... Case and primers? How does the weight of the case and primers affect the accuracy of a bullet?

Just saw an episode of Modern Marvel on Bullets. In that episode Marine Snipers handloads their own ammunitions to maintain consistency. The episode noted that the loaders weighs everything: projectiles, casings, primers... Case and primers? How does the weight of the case and primers affect the accuracy of a bullet?

Don;t know - but by doing what they do it allows for perfect consistency with the ammo I reckon.

GG ~ :FlagAm: '

If the case weighs more or less than the average there is more or less metal somewhere (thicker case walls). This affects case capacity. As to the primers, you got me. I work with a bench rester and he said he's not sure either. He doesn't but knows some who do. He says it's all about the consistency.

Consistent case weight = consistent volume inside the case.

As for weighing primers, my guess is that has more to do with the psychological aspect of making sure that everything is as perfectly consistent as possible. I can't imagine that primers vary very much.

But then, I'm not going to be the one who tells a Marine sniper that he doesn't know what he's doing. :ph34r: Nothing good can come from that.

Minute of angle times x amount of yards. Have to keep that extremely small to hit way out there. that's almost like doing match ammo for Camp Perry. If somethings out of whack ,the number of yards is gonna multiply the error exponentially :blush:

primer weight differences must be in the hundredths of grains or even smaller. I can't afford that kind of scale.

Ah yes, Marshal. But, and there is always a but, the U.S. Government can. They can afford anything. They just up the limit on their visa card.

Of course where our troops are involved and lives are on the line, go for it. :FlagAm:

Rule #1 for accuracy;

Consistency, Consistency, Consistency, Consistency, Consistency!

And when ya think you have enough Consistency.

Go back to rule #1

primer weight differences must be in the hundredths of grains or even smaller. I can't afford that kind of scale.

but the Gub'mint allus tries ta do things a bigger, more exspensive scale!

R3B

I saw that episode ( or one just like it ) a while back. Consistency. From Midway you can get a gadget that checks the thickness of the brass at the case mouth. Check all around to be sure it is the same on each case and the same all the way around. Long range black powder shooters are just as fanatical as the marine snipers. Everything must be THE SAME for each and every round. How about a tiny bit of flash paper under the powder charge to improve the consistency of ingition of the powder ? That might cut your stage time by the one millionth of a second that you still need ??? :wacko:

I've seen benchrest rest shooters swab their bores between each shot.

I've heard of long range blackpowder shooters sifting their powder through special screens to insure all the kernels are the same size.

I can see checking components for consistency - bullet weight, case length, and powder charge all make sense.

But weighing primers? I think the Marines were having some sport with the show producers.

Ultimately, accuracy comes down to the skill of the man whose finger rests on the trigger.

I don't know. I wouldn't have thought it'd matter, but if they do it, then I begin to wonder if the weight of the casing could indicate a minute difference in the thickness of the casing walls, which would affect it's volume, which could affect the contents or how it burns initially. Guessing. I could just hear my husband talk about stuff like that. Then for primer weights, again I wouldn't have thought to consider it, but if they do it then I wonder if the weight of the primer could indicate if one has more or less charge in it...

Mayhap over 1000 yards, these things matter.

The thing that makes me wonder is how they take wind gusts into account. It never blows steadily. And while they may get indications of the wind at various points along the way, the wind may increase or decrease at times affecting the bullet.

Jeeeez folks. We are shooting at a metal plate approximately 15 feet away or perhaps a tad more in the use of a rifle. Why would I want to spend my time weighing primers to do that?

That said, if it helps you have fun, go for it. :)

As a former marine Sniper, I can tell you that the standard loading back in the day was the M118 round. I fired this round in an M40 and M40-A1.... The A3 model was just in the R&D stage when I got out in 1998 and it was adopted in 2001.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/m118-762.htm

The marine Corps marksmanship Unit nowadays does load their ammo just as said. The M40A4 rifle now issued is a tack driver second to none. It will consistently shoot 1/2 minute of angle.

Archived