SASS Wire Forum

1860 henry

evil dogooder

Can a uberti replica shoot factory smokeless ammo safely? ?

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

Within reason. Keep pressures within SAAMI specs for the chambering and it'll be fine. I shoot mine with both BP and smokeless. No issues, and none expected.

Edited to add: "Factory" can cover a multitude of loadings. Stay away from "+P" or high performance rounds...

Yes and even heavier bullets such as the 300gr 454 Casull. But don't make a steady habit shooting the larger bullets - it's a brass framed rifle

John Boy,

I think I know what you are trying to say but the way you have it worded it appears you are saying the Uberti 1860 Henry is safe with 300 grain 454 Casull's.

I think you are saying it's safe with 300 gr bullets if they are down loaded to standard 45LC pressures, I hope.

Howdy

If you read Mike Venturino's book Lever Guns of the Old West he relates the story of a brass framed Henry that had its head space ruined by shooting a few high powered rounds. But as long as the ammo is kept within SAMMI specs the rifle will be fine.

The frame and the toogle link action is the same as the 1866 Improved Henry. The 1866 was improved with the Kings Patent Loading gate. I can attest to personally shooting over 11,000 CAS loads through a Yellowboy without any problems whatsoever.

The main weakness of the Henry is loading the magazine tube. Care must be taken to load the rounds with the rifle in a horizonal position and avoid letting the magazine lever slam on the loaded rounds. This may cause some of the rounds to explode creating the chance for hand injury.

Thanks all. I am debating a trade for a 24 inch rifle and as I don't reload yet was concerned about ammo as my local shop rarely stocks cowboy ammo I generally shoot target/hunting loads . Any advice? Besides start loading... that's the plan just not there yet

Respectfully

Evil dogooder

I think you are saying it's safe with 300 gr bullets if they are down loaded to standard 45LC pressures, I hope.
Sorry Nate & the Board, should have added the down loaded words.

At one of the SJ gun clubs, we have 100-200-300 lever matches. I use the 454 Casull's for it and they are a tad higher than my CAS 45LC's.

And the extra grains will help make it out to 500 meters. Here's a picture of 2 Rams that went down in a row using my normal CAS load & the Casull's ...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Ridgeway%20Oct%202007/PDRM2906.jpg

Shooting SAAMI spec loads are perfectly fine as others mentioned...and if you are going to use it for CAS only you will definately be fine as the rules limit muzzle velocity anyway.

Get it...I dig mine when I shoot it.

GG

The materials are better than the originals but the technology is the same as it was in the 1860s and '70s. Your last post sounds like we have gone from low end smokeless loads to whatever the the local shop might have on hand at match time, target OR hunting loads, I think I read. If the links fail and the gun is destroyed then its just money BUT I do not know the possible results of a toggle link undergoing a catastrophic failure? Could this cause shooter injury guys? If ammunition supplies are questionable I would stick with a Marlin or a '92, to be on the safe side, and save the toggle links until a dependable supply of suitable ammunition is available.

The loads the local shop carries are Winchester super x target range loads 255. Gr lead round nose those are what I always get when they don't have cowboy ammo. Are they safe? It doesn't say the fps or pressure on the box. I have a 92 src in 357 that I use for sass and hunting. I just have always admired the henry.

I care not for speed. I have a bet going with my wife if I get ten straight clean matches I get to purchase a sharps if I miss then the inlaws are visiting from Thanksgiving to new years. So I'm going to make darn sure I don't miss!

Dogooder Those loads would be safe in any of the toggle link rifles chambered in 45 colt,you are going to Like that Henry rifle. Adios Sgt. Jake

What Sgt Jake said. That load has a claimed velocity of 860 fps out of a 5" revolver, making it pretty near a dead ringer for the original loadings in .45 Colt. As long as your gun is in good condition, the links set up properly so they lock up when the bolt is closed, it'll run them 'til rapture quite happily.

Archived