SASS Wire Forum

NCAA Football Top 10

Okie Sawbones -

I don't know where you were in 1969, but the way the OU game started out today, I was getting flashbacks of the Oct. 25, 1969, OU/KSU game.

The headlines in the Tulsa World on October 26th, read:

MEN ON THE MOON

METS WIN WORLD SERIES

KSU BEATS OU 59-21

What Could Possibly Happen Next ?

professor tull

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, now that just didn't happen. I thunk it might be, but twer not to be.

How about that Michigan State team. Got dunked today.

Looks like Vanderbilt gave Arkansas some bicarb moments today.

Lost by 3 points. Wooda, Cooda, Shooda been an upset.

Okie Sawbones -

I don't know where you were in 1969, but the way the OU game started out today, I was getting flashbacks of the Oct. 25, 1969, OU/KSU game.

Protecting our Eastern shores from the Vietcong, sailing the Caribbean on DD-872. I didn't let one of those suckers through...:lol::wacko:

Wild game between USC and Stanford! It's coming right down to the wire.:blink:

Now in the second overtime. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Now on to the third overtime. Wow! What a game! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Stanford in triple overtime! Hats off to both teams for a great game! :)

Yelled and hollared thru most of the game. As an SC alum (played football there too 50+ years ago :wacko: ) I thought the game was great, but the outcome could have been better. Neither team has anything to be sad about, the best team won. If SC hadn't had the penalty on Stanfords last drive in reg. time, they probably would have won. The las play in regulation was also a freshman mistake, should have fallen down before reaching the sideline, some time would have been left for a FG try. All in all...great game. :rolleyes:

FIGHT ON!!!

Well the ranks of the undefeated thinned some this week.

According to my count, only five left. Wondering now if the guys that go home with the

crystal football will be undefeated this year.

According to my cypher I find the following:

Big 12 conference

Oklahoma State 8-0

Conference USA

Houston 8-0

Pac 12

Stanford 8-0

I think they got some scratches and bruises from last night overtime game.

They won in double overtime.

SEC

Alabama 8-0

LSU 8-0

That is all folks!

Looks like a new rivalry may have been born last night, between Stanford and USC.

I hope the big matchup next week doesn't outgrow the hype because there are truly

two great teams.

Some good teams got roughed up pretty good yesterday. Some managed to survive and other

got bloodied pretty good. One surprise to me was that Penn State leads the Big 10 right now.

I would have though that the cheese eaters would run the show, but looks like that changed too.

Well the ranks of the undefeated thinned some this week.

According to my count, only five left. Wondering now if the guys that go home with the

crystal football will be undefeated this year.

According to my cypher I find the following:

Big 12 conference

Oklahoma State 8-0

Conference USA

Houston 8-0

Pac 12

Stanford 8-0

I think they got some scratches and bruises from last night overtime game.

They won in double overtime.

SEC

Alabama 8-0

LSU 8-0

That is all folks!

Looks like a new rivalry may have been born last night, between Stanford and USC.

I hope the big matchup next week doesn't outgrow the hype because there are truly

two great teams.

Some good teams got roughed up pretty good yesterday. Some managed to survive and other

got bloodied pretty good. One surprise to me was that Penn State leads the Big 10 right now.

I would have though that the cheese eaters would run the show, but looks like that changed too.

Minor point...but Stanfords win was TRIPLE OT.

Minor point...but Stanfords win was TRIPLE OT.

Ah so right, Big Sage. It was a heck of a ball game though. I have no affiliations with either team

but I almost had heart failure several times. Not to take anything away from USC and the way they

played, but Stanford is for real. It was probably very hostile in the USC locker room last night.

Yelled and hollared thru most of the game. As an SC alum (played football there too 50+ years ago :wacko: ) I thought the game was great, but the outcome could have been better. Neither team has anything to be sad about, the best team won. If SC hadn't had the penalty on Stanfords last drive in reg. time, they probably would have won. The las play in regulation was also a freshman mistake, should have fallen down before reaching the sideline, some time would have been left for a FG try. All in all...great game. :rolleyes:

FIGHT ON!!!

I was kinda rooting for Stanford (the little guy), but I want OU to move up in the standings, so I wanted Stanford to lose as well. Best USC game since Texas beat them in the 2006 Rose Bowl 41-38.

I was kinda rooting for Stanford (the little guy), but I want OU to move up in the standings, so I wanted Stanford to lose as well. Best USC game since Texas beat them in the 2006 Rose Bowl 41-38.

As an alumni and former player, I got to attend that game...it was a great game (one of the best). No matter who won :rolleyes:

Was also pulling for USC to knock Stanford from the ranks of the undefeated.

BMC - You forgot Boise State in the Mountain West on your undefeated list. Though I do not think there would be any way an unbeaten Boise State would play for the national championship - deserving or not.

Okie - there is still HOPE! Oregon goes to Stanford in 2 weeks.

And LSU at Alabama this coming Saturday - I will need to order up more Valium.

Tull

B C S :

1. LSU

2. Alabama

3. OK State

4. Stanford

5. Boise State

6. Oregon

7. O.U.

8. Arkansas

9. Nebraska

10. S. Carolina

And at #14, unbeaten Houston.

Boomer Sooner

Tull

B C S :

1. LSU

2. Alabama

3. OK State

4. Stanford

5. Boise State

6. Oregon

7. O.U.

8. Arkansas

9. Nebraska

10. S. Carolina

And at #14, unbeaten Houston.

Boomer Sooner

Tull

Looks like it is boiling down to the OU - OSU game for a BCS Bowl, unless of course there is an upset along the way. I hope the LSU - Bama game turns out to be as good as the hype. I'd hate to see LSU run away with it...

Looks like it is boiling down to the OU - OSU game for a BCS Bowl, unless of course there is an upset along the way. I hope the LSU - Bama game turns out to be as good as the hype. I'd hate to see LSU run away with it...

Being an LSU fan I hoping they run away with it...that way Capt. Bill Burt would have to buy me lunch at a shoot....if'n it turns out the other way I gotsta buy. That and it'll be bragging rights for one of us till the end of time :) CBB and I take our football serious!!

Just thunking ahead here and prognosticatin' and noodling on it some...couple of observations.

1. Winner of LSU/Bama plays in the BCS championship game.....big DUH on that one huh!

2. Question....if OU whips OSU and let's say Boise State and Stanford win all of their remaining games would OU jump above Boise State and Stanford to get to the number 2 position and play in the BCS championship?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Being an LSU fan I hoping they run away with it...that way Capt. Bill Burt would have to buy me lunch at a shoot....if'n it turns out the other way I gotsta buy. That and it'll be bragging rights for one of us till the end of time :) CBB and I take our football serious!!

Just thunking ahead here and prognosticatin' and noodling on it some...couple of observations.

1. Winner of LSU/Bama plays in the BCS championship game.....big DUH on that one huh!

2. Question....if OU whips OSU and let's say Boise State and Stanford win all of their remaining games would OU jump above Boise State and Stanford to get to the number 2 position and play in the BCS championship?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Looking back on past performances by the BCS, the most likely answer to your question would be that a one loss OU team would jump ahead of Boise State, but NOT Stanford.

Probably any VERY good one loss team - be it Stanford, OU, OSU and conceivably LSU or Bama - could jump an unbeaten Boise State in the BCS.

There is even a scenario where LSU and Alabama could play a second time, with the BCS being on the line.

As BMC so eloquently points out - it is the B. S. poll.

Boise State gets no respect.

Tull

All joking aside, with the current level of performance from top to bottom in the SEC, any outside team would have a difficult if not impossible task facing them to survive an SEC schedule and come out undefeated.

That would be in football, baseball, golf, basketball, bowling, and few more I can't think of off the top of my head.

To any Bama doubters, particularly a certain Kajun, FYI the bean counters in Vegas favor Bama by 7, I'm still predicting Bama by 18. The vaunted LSU defense is a speed defense set up primarily to stop spread offenses, let's see how they do against an offense that plays good old fashioned smash mouth football, three yards and a cloud of dust.

On the other side of the ball Bama shut down Arkansas, LSU's offense isn't as strong as the Razorbacks..... :lol:

To any Bama doubters, particularly a certain Kajun, FYI the bean counters in Vegas favor Bama by 7, I'm still predicting Bama by 18. The vaunted LSU defense is a speed defense set up primarily to stop spread offenses, let's see how they do against an offense that plays good old fashioned smash mouth football, three yards and a cloud of dust.

On the other side of the ball Bama shut down Arkansas, LSU's offense isn't as strong as the Razorbacks..... :lol:

Ah yes, I was waitin' for the snake to slither out from under the porch :)

CBB it was real nice to meet your son this weekend. If you keep taking him with ya where ever you go now you won't have to be looking for him later in life; he'll be where he is supposed to be. Seems like a nice young man, well mannered and well raised. Let's just hope he sees the light on who to root for in football. He'd be scarred for life if'n he grew up believing the lie that Bama is Better :) You just might be able to start reversing the curse if'n you paint his bedroom walls purple and gold :)

I don't really care what bean counters in Vegas say....I got food bet on this game, not coin. CBB, one of us is REALLY gonna enjoy the meal at an upcoming cowboy shoot....just bring your wallet when ya shoot!!!!!!

Krazy (I get hungry when I shoot) Kajun

Well now boys, I don't know which is gonna be more fun, watching the "Bama/LSU game or seeing what is fer lunch. :lol: Today is Wednesday already. I can feel the ground starting to tremble.

Wonder why other schools don't have a football team. Only two doesn't quite enough. :blink:

Let's look at the numbers:

Total Defense:

Alabama -- 181 yards, 1st in nation

LSU -- 251 yards, 4th in nation

Total Offense:

Alabama -- 458 yards, 22nd in nation

LSU -- 372 yards, 81st in nation

Purely by numbers, Alabama wins. However, LSU has had a tougher season thus far, handing #6 Oregon their only loss, and beating Florida and Tennessee by the same margins as Alabama. I think this game will come down to turnovers.

Let's look at the numbers:

Total Defense:

Alabama -- 181 yards, 1st in nation

LSU -- 251 yards, 4th in nation

Total Offense:

Alabama -- 458 yards, 22nd in nation

LSU -- 372 yards, 81st in nation

Purely by numbers, Alabama wins. However, LSU has had a tougher season thus far, handing #6 Oregon their only loss, and beating Florida and Tennessee by the same margins as Alabama. I think this game will come down to turnovers.

And special teams. Don't forget special teams.

A key punt downed deep, a missed tackle or even a tackle made on special teams could be the difference in the field position game. Neither defense is gonna give up much on a consistent basis, so field position is gonna be important. You can't kick a field goal if you are on your own 25. Watch the second half of the LSU-Auburn game again. The LSU special teams was on fire. If they come out that fired up and hitting Maze and the rest of Alabama's returners like they were rocking Auburn's returners (I'm pretty certain McCaleb and company couldn't taste anything 'til Wednesday or Thursday because LSU knocked the taste out of their mouth in the 3rd quarter), it is gonna make a difference late in the game.

As much as I hate to say it LSU clearly has a better special teams unit. :mellow:

OTH Okie, LSU played a Gator team minus it's starting QB, and with a hurt backup, both courtesy of the Tide. They played a TN team whose QB was starting a game for the first time. Oregon was, and still is, overrated. If they were playing in the SEC they wouldn't even make the top 25, too slow and not enough depth or D.

Just MHO. YMMV. ^_^

As much as I hate to say it LSU clearly has a better special teams unit. :mellow:

OTH Okie, LSU played a Gator team minus it's starting QB, and with a hurt backup, both courtesy of the Tide. They played a TN team whose QB was starting a game for the first time. Oregon was, and still is, overrated. If they were playing in the SEC they wouldn't even make the top 25, too slow and not enough depth or D.

Just MHO. YMMV. ^_^

Well, now there we have it. Why play the game. LSU has the better Special Team. Dang it Captain, you went and spoiled the ending for me. I was hoping to see a suspenseful game. Now all the LSU coaching staff has to do is play their specials team for 60 minutes. All this, and the Slippery Rock game is not televised.

I am not willing to wager my money on either team. I think it is too close to call. I am willing to bet that

the best team will win.

But, what is for lunch?

But, what is for lunch?

Sorry to spoil the suspense BMC! ;)

I believe KK will be buying whatever Easy Rider's wife is cooking at the Doc Holiday's Match in 10 days. I may be really hungry, so hopefully for him seconds will be on the house! After chipping into the LSU bail fund even the Kajun's funds may be getting scarce.

BTW, Kajun, thanks for the kind words about my little buckeroo! He had a lot of fun at GOA, then came home and made a long list of cowboy items for Santa Claus to bring him. I'm bringing him to Deena's fun shoot and cowboy party Saturday after we play our final soccer game of the season.

Archived