SASS Wire Forum

NCAA Football Top 10

Looks like Squeaky was on a roll -- all three picks romped today. That Texas game was pretty ugly. OU's defense caused a lot of fumbles, and snagged those interceptions. LSU looked awesome today -- they were a meat grinder and Florida was a chuck roast.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course Bama had tenderized the Gator meat be taking out both their 1st and 2nd string QBs. :mellow:

Vandie got rolled, no surprise there. Next week the Tide faces Ole Miss, dare I predict.......? Bama 45 Ole Miss 7. ^_^

Picking the easy ones, are we, Captain?

Waiting to see what Florida does next week. Maybe that

#17 behind their name was a misnomer.

Looks like there fewer undefeated teams this week.

Yeah, we do have some relatively easy games coming up. Of course the first half of the Vandie game shows that even mediocre teams can elevate their level of play for a single big game. It also showed that our defense wasn't taking them seriously. I suspect some big time butt chewing took place at the half.

Looking down the road the only serious threats I see are LSU and Auburn (said while furiously knocking on wood).

Arkansas did a pretty good job on Auburn last night. I doubt that 'Bama will have much trouble doing the same. But, and there is always a but, one must not look past ANY team for fear of getting a stubbed toe.

I find it interesting that so many teams are ranked in the top 25 or even 50 teams, at the beginning of the season, and then we find that they were just that. Rank. I wonder what magic numbers these sports writers use to arrive at them. I guess it is just part of the hype.

LSU looked pretty good against the tenderized Gators....of course them Cajuns will eat anything!

Bama took the Vanderbilt contention of Our Lady of the Blind and Crippled Children out to the woodshed for an old fashion flogging...just like Bama to beat up on old ladies :)

Oklahoma looked strong against a newby Longhorns team....Red River is running red with Texas blood.

Georgia might come up and take the SEC East....wouldn't that be something.

Slippery Rock might slip by and take a few more wins this season!!

USA Today poll has Oklahoma on top with LSU and Bama following. AP pole has it LSU, Bama and then OK.

Looking ahead Bama has Ole Miss and Tenn before hosting LSU. LSU has Tenn and Auburn before making the trek over to Tuscaloosa. Should be a great game at Tuscaloosa. I'd think, or at least hope, that the winner of the LSU/Bama game plays for the BCS national championship.

Gonna be an interesting few weeks in college football.....don'tcha just love this time of year!!

I think you're right BMC, a lot of the early ranking is just hype. I think some of it is sportswriter's playing favorites too. But the proof is in the pudding, by the time you get to the midway point most of the overhyped teams have been exposed.

As far as Auburn goes I really hope you're right. Experience has taught me that when it comes to the Iron Bowl everything that has gone before means nothing........ :mellow:

Given my druthers, I would like to see the sports writers hold off on naming their top picks until

mid season and then we can really see who is real and who is not so real. Not gonna happen tho.

Besides, too much emotion and not enough common sense involved.

One thing is fer sure. Only two teams will play for the crystal football at the end of the season.

But, there will be hype.

I think you're right BMC, a lot of the early ranking is just hype. I think some of it is sportswriter's playing favorites too. But the proof is in the pudding, by the time you get to the midway point most of the overhyped teams have been exposed.

As far as Auburn goes I really hope you're right. Experience has taught me that when it comes to the Iron Bowl everything that has gone before means nothing........ :mellow:

Just look further down the AP [sports writers] Poll - Texas only fell to #11 - ahead of 3 teams that are still unbeaten.

In the coaches poll - USA - Texas fell to a more realistic 21st.

But, then again, at the first of the year Texas was not even ranked amongst the top 25 - so what do the sports writers know ? ? ?

Though it does not take a rocket scientist or a sports writer to realize the Alabama/LSU game will be one of the highlights of this college football year.

With Oklahoma/OK State coming in a close second.

Tull

Slippery Rock at Lock Haven Saturday afternoon.

BCS standings come out late Sunday.

Should be interesting where they place all the teams as compared to the coaches, and sports writers polls.

Any predictions? Is Texas going to get beat by a team from Oklahoma for the second straight week? Will the absence of 4 Ole Miss players let the Tide score 70 points?

Boomer Sooner

Tull

I can't comment on Texas, I don't like or dislike them enough to pay close attention. Also, they haven't played at a level, at least recently, that prompted me to regard them as a serious national title contender. I don't mean that to be offensive Texas fans, just my humble and perhaps biased opinion.

No way Bama puts up 70 against anyone, Nick is not that kind of coach. Once he gets a safe lead he will put in second and third stringers and run out the clock. That has been his MO for some time now. I like the way he uses those opportunities to develop his younger players and backups.

Looks like Slippery Rock will have a tough game Tomorrow against Cal of Penn (What is that all about?)

Both teams have only one loss for the season so far. After tomorrow, one will have two losses. :unsure: I must be a jenus to have figured that out.

Between the baseball playoffs and the big Slippery game, I am a nervous wreck.

Looking at the schedules for tomorrow, I didn't see anything that looked like a real good matchup except the Arizona State/Oregon matchup. Of course that could open the door for a few upsets too.

Ah yes, I almost overlooked the Baylor/Texas A&M game.

Looks like the ranks of the undefeated are a little thinner tonight. Michigan and Illinois both got beat by lower ranked teams. Stanford is only 10 points ahead of Wash State. Both LSU and 'Bama looked like First and Second place teams. Wisconsin won big.

Looks like the ranks of the undefeated are a little thinner tonight. Michigan and Illinois both got beat by lower ranked teams. Stanford is only 10 points ahead of Wash State. Both LSU and 'Bama looked like First and Second place teams. Wisconsin won big.

Didn't see Alabama, but I watched OU and LSU on Tivo. They did not look overly dominating to me, although they won by a wide margin.

"Bama looked pretty impressive to me, but what do I know.

I did not see the LSU game, but Okie didn't overwhelm me.

In the first half, Kansas gave them all they wanted. Kansas

has not been that good in the past.

It pains me to say this, but I think I would move Alabama to #1

this week. Right behind Slippery Rock.

According to the coaches poll, they list Oklahoma #1, LSU #2,

and Alabama as #3. I don't see that.

My listing would be

1. Alablama

2. LSU

3 Oklahoma.

"Bama looked pretty impressive to me, but what do I know.

I did not see the LSU game, but Okie didn't overwhelm me.

In the first half, Kansas gave them all they wanted. Kansas

has not been that good in the past.

It pains me to say this, but I think I would move Alabama to #1

this week. Right behind Slippery Rock.

According to the coaches poll, they list Oklahoma #1, LSU #2,

and Alabama as #3. I don't see that.

My listing would be

1. Alablama

2. LSU

3 Oklahoma.

As much as it pains me, I agree.

BCS sees it thusly -

1. LSU

2. Alabama

3. OU

4. OK State

5. Boise State

6. Wisconsin

7. Clemson

8. Stanford

9. Arkansas

10. Oregon

Tull

As much as it pains me, I agree.

BCS sees it thusly -

1. LSU

2. Alabama

3. OU

4. OK State

5. Boise State

6. Wisconsin

7. Clemson

8. Stanford

9. Arkansas

10. Oregon

Tull

+1. I think even Captain Jack is hiding under a bush.

I feel fairly confident that in three weeks you will see those rankings change to

1. Alabama

2. Oklahoma

3. Who cares?

Alabama 28 LSU 10

Roll Tide :)

That is a pretty big curb you just stepped off of, Captain. I ain't got no crystal ball

but I believe one of them two teams might get a crystal football.

Yeah, I'm putting myself out there with that one but I see it as Bama is better coached and has a stronger offense with zero turnovers since the first game. The defenses are pretty even, some would say LSU has a slight edge there, but I'm not so sure, they give up more points and their schedule so far is only a little bit tougher (Arkansas for example is ranked 10 currently and Bama beat the pants off them). Our defense is playing with a lot of emotion and pride. AND, they have to play in our backyard, with our guys having something to prove about being ranked under them.

P.S.

I was just looking at the BCS rankings and predictions, even though LSU comes out #1, Bama is predicted to beat them. :lol:

CBB, I just KNEW your were going to walk out on that plank with those predictions. I'll be nice and not saw it off right now :)

The LSU-Bama game will be a good one. Home field advantage is certainly worth 7 points so I'll give that one to ya. Both teams are well coached and well matched. Bama might have a little advantage on offense but the Mad Hatter seems to always have some trickery up his sleeve...just never know what he'll pull out and use. LSU has lots of speed on defense and that helps....but Bama got's some rather large folks on the offensive line....it's just gonna be a good game.

Of course my hope is that LSU wins; but either way I think the winner of that game will be playing in the BCS championship game and I think will win it. Good luck to both teams and we'll just see how it turns out.

I hope to shoot with you next week at Guns of Autumn and I'll just saw the plank off there :)

CBB, I just KNEW your were going to walk out on that plank with those predictions. I'll be nice and not saw it off right now :)

The LSU-Bama game will be a good one. Home field advantage is certainly worth 7 points so I'll give that one to ya. Both teams are well coached and well matched. Bama might have a little advantage on offense but the Mad Hatter seems to always have some trickery up his sleeve...just never know what he'll pull out and use. LSU has lots of speed on defense and that helps....but Bama got's some rather large folks on the offensive line....it's just gonna be a good game.

Of course my hope is that LSU wins; but either way I think the winner of that game will be playing in the BCS championship game and I think will win it. Good luck to both teams and we'll just see how it turns out.

I hope to shoot with you next week at Guns of Autumn and I'll just saw the plank off there :)

Well, I don't really have a dog in this fight, and I am not particularly concerned with team wins this match up. But I believe that your statement is correct and I think one of them will go home with all the goodies. As to whom they will play, that is anybody's guess at this point. I know for sure however, that it will not be Slippery Rock. SR Is just too tough for any college team. :lol:

Looking at the upcoming schedule, the Pac 12 is getting interesting. The four leaders, Stanford, Oregon, Washington and USC all play each other over the next four weeks. Saturday pits Washington against Stanford. That should be an interesting game. I believe that Stanford has the edge, but what do I know.

Once again the well behaved LSU football team seems to have run off the tracks. LSU has suspended 3 starting players for the Auburn game for violation of the team's drug policy. The team's best tackler and the rushing leader are both included. Cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, defensive back Tharoild Simon and running back Spencer Ware are the three culprits. Hopefully, once again, the alum will have raised enough bail money to field an 11 man team for the game against the War Chickens :)

The loss of Spencer Ware could cost them the game. He is a one man attack. What a bunch of dumb @sses.

At least they are playing in Baton Rouge.

Professor Tull

There's an old Randy Newman song that talks about LSU grads! Personally I hope they win, but it would be nice if Auburn tenderizes them a bit. Elephants like their tiger meat nice and tender. :rolleyes:

War chickens mightn' get bbqed......nothing a like a little dessert before the main course...even if ya hafta wait two weeks and travel across two states to get it!!

War chickens mightn' get bbqed......nothing a like a little dessert before the main course...even if ya hafta wait two weeks and travel across two states to get it!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are mistaken pard, Bama is home for that game, we won't have to travel for our dinner. But I promise not to rub it in much more than I did after you predicted Florida would beat us. ;)

:rolleyes:

Archived