SASS Wire Forum

NCAA Football Top 10

Here are the games the AP top 10 teams are playing this weekend [CST].

Tulsa @ #1 Oklahoma - 7PM

Kent State @ #2 Alabama - 11:20AM

#3 Oregon @ #4 LSU - 7PM

#5 Boise State @ #19 Georgia - 7PM

Louisiana-Monroe @ #6 FSU - 2:30PM

San Jose State @ #7 Stanford - 4PM

Louisiana-Lafayette @ #9 Oklahoma State - 6PM

Chattanooga @ #10 Nebraska - 2:30PM

Sunday

SMU @ #8 Texas A&M - 6:30

And for Badger Mountain Charlie

Slippery Rock @ Seton Hill - 1PM on Saturday

Plan accordingly

GO SOONERS

Tull

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boise State/ Jawja and Oregon LSU games look interesting. Others look like beat up some small school and then crow about it for a week. Be fun to see some upsets tho.

Ya just know that Slippery Rock is gonna win. Looks to be another red hot season.

I hate to say it, as much as I love college football, only two of those look competitive. Oregon beats LSU (minus their bar brawling QB) and Georgia beats up Boise State cause after all they're Boise State and Georgia IS an SEC team, though currently a relatively weak one.

Not counting Seton and Slippery as I know nothing about them.

Well CBB, if'n da booooster club at da Bayou Bengals manage to scrape up enuff bail money dere in Red Stick da boyz from God's team might just whup up on da Ducks! Cajuns is known for makin' duck gumbeaux! GEAUX TIGERS!

Mini-soda v USC at the LA Coliseum at 12:30 PM (PDST)

Two years into the NCAA Death Penalty. One to go.

FightON!!!

Well CBB, if'n da booooster club at da Bayou Bengals manage to scrape up enuff bail money dere in Red Stick da boyz from God's team might just whup up on da Ducks! Cajuns is known for makin' duck gumbeaux! GEAUX TIGERS!

Don't get me wrong Kajun, I'll be rooting for LSU, and I still think they can make it a game, but not having Jefferson could be crucial. I see LSU being heavily dependent on their passing game this year.

Don't get me wrong Kajun, I'll be rooting for LSU, and I still think they can make it a game, but not having Jefferson could be crucial. I see LSU being heavily dependent on their passing game this year.

LSU is more dependent on the boosters raising bail money every week!!

Seriously though, I'm not real pleased with what all has gone on with Jefferson and a few others, but their trials will be in the court of law not in the court of public opinion. LSU (and all other colleges) needs to have all their players adhering to both the team rules and the local laws and if they aren't they need to be dealt with appropriately. Whoever is left will suit up and we'll just hope for the best with those that are in uniform on any given Saturday. I'll still root for the Bayou Bengals regardless of who is in uniform that day. It just cast dispersions on the folks there in Baton Rouge when LSU football players start acting out. Of course this type of tomfoolery isn't limited to Baton Rouge either...a lot of college football players have just not been caught yet. I guess I should be thankful LSU doesn't have (or we haven't been informed of yet) boosters like Miami has. Still....its GEAUX TIGERS!!

Just saw a note that Texas A&M wants to withdraw from the Big 12 (or Big 10) or what ever it is. Now that Colorado and Nebraska jumped ship. What a shame. They were the conference to watch at one time, along with the SEC. With the problems in the SEC, I guess we just can't stand success.

Looks like college football is in trouble. Lots of good young men out there in colleges all over the country that want to play the game, but I guess big money is just too hard to resist.

Anyway, GOOOOOOOO, SLIPPERY ROCK!

5 straight national championships! Multiple colleges wanting in....What problems?

No disrespect Captain Burt, and there is honor in winning a National Title in any sport,

but at what expense? I was always told that the idea behind the sports programs in any

school was to imbue honor and dedication in young men and women. But looking at the

police blotters, and news reports, I donno. Maybe I am just an old fossil and out of step

with the times, but from where I sit, I liked it better when the young people respected the

rules and the laws and their elders did the same.

Anyway, it proves to be an interesting year again this year. Just hope things don't get out of

hand.

Boise State/ Jawja and Oregon LSU games look interesting. Others look like beat up some small school and then crow about it for a week. Be fun to see some upsets tho.

Ya just know that Slippery Rock is gonna win. Looks to be another red hot season.

Big name teams playing the 'small schools' is really advantageous to the small schools, believe it or not.

Think about it. Podunk U is a Div AA school with a stadium that seats 35K. They play 4 road games in a season at Michigan, Tennessee, Alabama and Auburn. Their visitors cut of the gate and concessions from those 4 games is more than their home cut of the gate for their 8 home games. That's more money for the athletic department (not just the football team). Even with a 60/40 split (home team/visitors), they make money for the school going to play a team with a 90K or more home stadium.

The added benefit is that their players can get seen by scouts. Let's say there's a scout that came to the Alabama/Podunk game to watch Alabama's latest legacy QB. He really notices is the Podunk DE that keeps making Jeff Bob the Third look out his ear hole whilst knocking him wobbly legged and making him speak in tongues. The Podunk DE ends up going in the first round and has a Hall of Fame career whilst Jeff Bob the Third goes on to sell used cars in Birmingham. Not every exceptional player goes to a big name school. Terry Bradshaw went to LA Tech and Jerry Rice went to Miss. Valley State.

Let's not forget that just because the team isn't a traditional powerhouse, it doesn't mean they are a bunch of cream puffs. There's too many small schools out there that can hang with anybody if it was just the starting 22. Usually, it takes getting deep into the benches for the difference to start to show. Teams like Troy, Memphis State (who's knocked off 6 Top Ten opponents over the years), Southern Miss, Southwest GA, ... shouldn't be taken lightly.

None taken BMC. I just wasn't sure what you were referring to. I'm in complete agreement about the state of college sports with respect to the behavior many of these 'amateurs' exhibit. I teach high school so trust me I see it up close and personal.

We've had four football players in the last few years head out to play for FBS schools, most of them SEC. Two of them are fine upstanding young men and two are the type I would not want behind me in a dark ally. Thankfully one of the two thugs has been through four colleges already and looks to finish out a loser at Arkansas State. The other will be playing this year for TN, and I expect him to embarrass them both on and off the field. One of the other two is at Ole Miss and doing great, likely will be in the NFL next year. The other finishes early this year and is headed to Bama. I'm confident he will represent us well.

I think what you are observing is systemic, not limited to any particular conference, and a symptom of a general degeneration of morals among some.

None taken BMC. I just wasn't sure what you were referring to. I'm in complete agreement about the state of college sports with respect to the behavior many of these 'amateurs' exhibit. I teach high school so trust me I see it up close and personal.

We've had four football players in the last few years head out to play for FBS schools, most of them SEC. Two of them are fine upstanding young men and two are the type I would not want behind me in a dark ally. Thankfully one of the two thugs has been through four colleges already and looks to finish out a loser at Arkansas State. The other will be playing this year for TN, and I expect him to embarrass them both on and off the field. One of the other two is at Ole Miss and doing great, likely will be in the NFL next year. The other finishes early this year and is headed to Bama. I'm confident he will represent us well.

I think what you are observing is systemic, not limited to any particular conference, and a symptom of a general degeneration of morals among some.

I think you are 100% correct in your assessment of the situation. There are a lot of great kids out there, but unfortunately the ugly ones get the press. Not sure of why that is, but it looks to be the

way of it. Junk sells same as sex, I guess. Also, a personal thank you to you and all the other teachers that make a career of teaching our young. In these times, the young people are our real hope. If we let them down, we are all doomed.

I was always told that the idea behind the sports programs in any

school was to imbue honor and dedication in young men and women.

Dang BMC..are you a teacher too? I've gotta admit I have never heard the word "imbue." I've been through 19 years of schooling and I am not ashamed to say I looked that word up.

Dang BMC..are you a teacher too? I've gotta admit I have never heard the word "imbue." I've been through 19 years of schooling and I am not ashamed to say I looked that word up.

Yeah, but 12 of them years was in second and third grade. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I once applied for a teaching job at an all girls school. The headmaster told me there were no opening for 17 year old boys.

Yeah, but 12 of them years was in second and third grade. ;)

Well...let's just say that I drove the school bus hauling all my classmates.

Looks like Duck Soup for the Tigers

Bulldogs got beat

AND SLIPPERY ROCK WON. 51/14! :D

Kinda chilly in Minnesota, eh Uno?

You guys don't play well with others.

You should be kinder to your guest.

Krazy Kajun -

I do not think that the Bayou Bengals have anything to worry about when it comes to this "second string" QB. Once he got going he looked pretty good. Awesome game.

MY advice to the LSU alums - don't pay the bail money.

Boise State came across as a team to contend with.

For the first time in many moons, when OU was rated #1 preseason, they actually had a game that looked like they deserved it. Tulsa had some votes to get into the top 25 preseason.

Did not get to see the Crimson Tide game - so I won't evaluate it.

And have you EVER seen a weekend where so many games were delayed by lightning? Shocking!

And, 51 to 14, Slippery Rock.

In closing, thank God, college football is back.

Tull

Go SOONERS

Krazy Kajun -

I do not think that the Bayou Bengals have anything to worry about when it comes to this "second string" QB. Once he got going he looked pretty good. Awesome game.

Boise State came across as a team to contend with.

For the first time in many moons, when OU was rated #1 preseason, they actually had a game that looked like they deserved it. Tulsa had some votes to get into the top 25 preseason.

Did not get to see the Crimson Tide game - so I won't evaluate it.

And have you EVER seen a weekend where so many games were delayed by lightning? Shocking!

And, 51 to 14, Slippery Rock.

In closing, thank God, college football is back.

Tull

Go SOONERS

Don't that just blow yer socks off. :)

On a sadder note.

The Sooner Nation lost one of its greats this past weekend. Lee Roy Selmon [Tampa Bay] was taken by a massive stroke.

Called by Barry Switzer as "the greatest football player I have ever coached", the all-american, pro-bowl, NFL hall of fame lineman will be sadly missed.

One of my favorite recollections of watching college football on tv, was the 74 OU/Nebraska, or OU/OK State [help me out here Okie Sawbones].

Lee Roy, and brothers Dewey and Lucious were all 3 on the starting OU defense. And as the camera panned the fans seated in the stadium, it came upon a huge sign [made from 9 or 10 bedsheets sewn together] in the middle of the fraternity section, that said - "God Bless Ma & Pa Selmon".

And every time one of the Selmons made a tackle or disrupted a play, the cameras came back to the sign.

To quote from the Lee Roy Selmon Sports Bar menu - "Play Hard - Eat Well - And Don't Forget To Share."

My best wishes go out to the Selmon family.

Tull

Krazy Kajun -

He did pretty good but the defense he faced is not the caliber of some of the SEC defenses he will be seeing. But on the plus side he has one game under his belt and hopefully this will help him get over any preseason jitters.

Well, I checked ESPN website and there did not look like any barnburners comingup this weekend.

Interesting thing is that ND is still rated #16 after losing to So. Florida last week and they are playing Big Blue at Ann Arbor.

I can see that 16 changing after that. Michigan apparently is not rated.

AP and USA has their lists out now -

AP USA

1. OU 1. OU

2. LSU 2. Alabama

3. Alabama 3. LSU

4. Boise State 4. FSU

5. FSU 5. Boise State

6. Stanford 6. Stanford

7. TX A&M 7. OKLA. State

8. Wisconsin 8. TX A&M

9. Okla. State 9. Wisconsin

10. Nebraska 10. Nebraska

Interesting matchups for the coming weekend - Alabama at Penn State, S. Carolina at Georgia.

And Cheyney Univ. at Slippery Rock

Did anybody happen to watch the OU game, and see the "WALK ON", Dominique Whaley rush for 131 yds and 4 td's ? ? ? ? ?

I wonder what kind of scholarship he got over the long Labor Day weekend?

The kid looked impressive - we will see how he does against FSU in 2 weeks.

Tull

In the third quarter, it is Slippery Rock 33, Cheyney 0

Alabama at Penn State was not as close as I had hoped.

And after the first few minutes, it appears BYU wants to keep its unbeaten streak against Big 12 teams alive - BYU 6, TX 0 - its still early.

Tull

Archived