SASS Wire Forum

need some advice

backwoods outlaw

My 66' is jaming up when I cycle it fast. I have noticed that on the front of my dummy rounds are all scared up like its hitting something. Another thing I noticed us my carrier block hangs below the receiver about an 1/16 of an inch. I thought was supposed to be flush. If anyone has any suggestions will be appreciated.

My 66' is jaming up when I cycle it fast. I have noticed that on the front of my dummy rounds are all scared up like its hitting something. Another thing I noticed us my carrier block hangs below the receiver about an 1/16 of an inch. I thought was supposed to be flush. If anyone has any suggestions will be appreciated.

1) There is not much of anything that the nose of rounds in a '66 can hit, except the back end of the mag tube because the rounds are over length (nose can catch in the tube). Absolute Maximum length is what fits easily in your gun's carrier block opening (mortise). If your rounds are way under length, then you typically get 1 and a half rounds out on the carrier at a time, and you can't start the carrier moving upward because that front "half-exposed" round won't slide back into the magazine. If you are shooting semiwadcutter bullets with shoulders, that bullet shape catches on the back edge of the chamber real bad in a '66 because the feed is not "controlled". Solve that with RNFP or TC type bullets instead of SWC.

2) Carrier hanging down below receiver is a bad sign. Make sure you have the lifter spring tip setting in the correct position on the lever, and good tension on the lifter spring screw. If you have had a short stroke or modified springs installed for the carrier lifter and lever, then they could be adjusted incorrectly. This can all lead to bad timing and damage to the bolt and/or carrier. So, if you are not familiar with this, and don't have another toggle-link rifle to compare the timing to, it's probably wise to let a CAS gunsmith look it over.

In fact, carrier being too low at the bottom of the stroke probably means the carrier is too low at the top of the stroke, meaning the round being chambered is hitting low on the back of the chamber, scarring your bullet tips. Top of the carrier normally should rise to level with the top of the frame when the lever is closed. These two problems would go together to explain what is happening.

Good luck, GJ

Archived