SASS Wire Forum

SASS Away from Home

Aunt Jen

I don't know if this is a good idea, or if it'd work, but RONs (Remain Over Night, i.e.g, the motel rooms) are a major part of attending matches away from home, so what about the idea that SASS could begin to incorporate SASS members opening up their home to visitor SASS members to stay in when attending matches in their area?

There could be great incompatibilities, because of varying personalities, but I'm wondering if it's reasonable, even in today's litigious world, to do such a thing, open your home to people you don't know toting a passel of guns because they're also in SASS.

A SASS-sponsored hold harmless could be involved or standardized that people could sign to, which could include the notions that no illegalities could be involved, e.g., no drugs, no illegal firearms, procedures followed all legal (like gun handling different in CA vs. TX)....

I don't know.

I do know that when people fly to Oshkosh for the world's largest airshow, Airventure, people there open their homes up to visitors who they don't know, no questions asked—for a fee. They charge them. But there's no reciprocation of any kind. They don't later go to airshows in your area. It's a one-way deal, and they're making a buck. And they aren't toting guns (I 'spect), either.

But SASS folks might sometimes, or often, also travel to other places for a match, and then at other tmes, folks may come to their area for a match....

Or, if SASS did charge other SASS folks to stay in their homes, maybe it could be for a reduce rate, better than in a motel?

I don't know these answers.

I was just thinking that if matches are going to be harder and harder for people to go to.........

..........Ah. Maybe I'm being unrealistic. I mean, if there's a major match, like Winter Range, there aren't going to be very many SASS who live in the area to put up several hundred visitors toting guns.

Sorry. Please forget I mentioned it?

I have been invited to stay with folks when visiting places away from home. In general I am hesitant to do so. Not because I question their character, and the fact that they've invited me tells me they don't question mine. I just like to have a place to go to...well...be me, sit around in my shorts and watch TV if I want. Then again, I am not a very social person, hard to believe I know as 'verbal' as I am online.

As I think you decided by the time you'd thought it through, it's not really workable on a large scale. Too many variables involved. But on a person by person basis, between folks that have met at matches in the past, I think it would, and has worked.

Grizz

Nope. I've got a "No Varmints" sign out front. :lol:

I heard of some folks out here rented a house together during EOT....it cut down on the costs alot and they stayed in a real nice home.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I don't want anyone staying in my house who would lower themselves far enough to associate with people like me.

4T invited me to stay at his place, but he had so many projects he wanted me to help with while I was there I had to pass. :D

Hi Jen,

IIUC, Aspen Wrangler and Aspen Filly tried to get something like this started. I don't know where/how far it went.

As for us, Hubby isn't too fond of house guests besides we live 45 minutes to the closest range and 20 minutes of that is a godawful twisty road.

I've had a few folks open their home/RVs to me and I appreciated it greatly. I would have not attended those events otherwise. (Thank you, you know who you are.)

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hey Allie, your husband and I would get along just great, I hate people coming here to stay also, the g/f has had family here, wasn't a happy camper but it was only for a week, her son was here living with us, we fought all the time, couldn't wait until he left, it took a year for him to leave, he is trying to come back, she said NO, thank god for that, was ready to move out myself, we just don't get along, he is worthless and a bum and no good.

I just go to local matches Aunt Jen, going away to matches would be fun for sure, but the hotel/motel thing is not my cup of tea, bed bugs is the biggest scare, dirty places, etc etc. Was thinking of getting a trailer to pull to out of state shoots since I'm retired, but that is not going to happen either I guess, quite a bit of money to put out, trailer, hitches and acceories to with that, generators, etc etc, wear and tear on my truck, I could keep on going but you get the picture.

All for now JD Trampas

Well if I had the Room I wouldnt mind ....My neighbor and i rescued people back home durring a blizard and had em follow us back to my neighbors house tied to gether with ropes 2 familys and they stayed there for 4 days tell it let up and you was allowed ta drive again .... and here no room but if the Deal goes through on the new place... i will have room in the new bunk house ... it would be like ya had an apt ... sometimes my wife thinks i'm just a little toooo hospitable ... but being raised in Colorado ...... welp its just my nature .... now a days i dont think i would do that with just anybody .... or a stranger walkin down the road ..... But sass is like my long lost Family ....

Come on Bottles your slowin down lots a thirsty Cow Pokes around her ya know ....

I'm kinda an uncouth ruffian. If I had house guests I reckon I couldn't change into or out of my cowboy clothes in the dining room or pee off the back deck. :D And I'm dang sure if'n someone was letting me stay at their house they wouldn't want me doing those things... :D

I'm kinda an uncouth ruffian. If I had house guests I reckon I couldn't change into or out of my cowboy clothes in the dining room or pee off the back deck. :D And I'm dang sure if'n someone was letting me stay at their house they wouldn't want me doing those things... :D

Sounds like the Bunk House needs a back porch .... :D

I've boarded other peoples horses some for free and some for minor $5 a night. I ain't too sure about boarding the people themselves. Reason being I get along better with horses than people.

Tascosa (who is really a friendly hombre)

Archived