SASS Wire Forum

Installing Safety back in a Uberti '73

Bear Saint Paw

I recently picked up a second Uberti (EMF) '73 carbine as a backup but it doesn't have the lever/trigger safety like my first one.

I was looking here http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=40&cat=Uberti+1873+Carbine to get the parts but I am not sure these are all I need. Is there any other parts I need?

UB:240111 Uberti Safety Spring Pin (1873 Rifle, 1876).. US$1.75

UB:240091 Uberti Safety Bar (1873 Rifle) US$10.00

UB:240094 Uberti Trigger Safety Spring (1873, 1876) US$6.00

Look for "The Smith Shop" on line and get one of his light trigger safety springs. You will be glad ya did. If ya new rifle did not have any action work done to it, get a mainspring and a set of his wisper springs too. All together they will make the gun operate a little eaiser and some what smoother.

Check that the lower trigger and upper are not welded/tacked together. If they are no longer separate pieces and cannot be easily separated, you may need new ones.

Good luck, GJ

Check that the lower trigger and upper are not welded/tacked together. If they are no longer separate pieces and cannot be easily separated, you may need new ones.

Good luck, GJ

+1 there is a reason some smiths leave them out....they don't just do it to be less safe.

Thanks for all the responses!

Look for "The Smith Shop" on line and get one of his light trigger safety springs. You will be glad ya did. If ya new rifle did not have any action work done to it, get a mainspring and a set of his wisper springs too. All together they will make the gun operate a little eaiser and some what smoother.

Thanks, saved me from having to search for that trigger safety spring. It was tuned but still could use some improvements, it just is not near as smooth and light as my Cody Conagher one.

Good luck, GJ

+1 there is a reason some smiths leave them out....they don't just do it to be less safe.

Are you saying that the smith may have welded #87 and #88 (referencing the VTI site above) together to do the action job so now the safety cant be installed?

I'll have to pull the trigger assembly out tonight or this weekend and check, I can't tell just by removing the side plates and stock.

Thanks for all the responses!

Thanks, saved me from having to search for that trigger safety spring. It was tuned but still could use some improvements, it just is not near as smooth and light as my Cody Conagher one.

Are you saying that the smith may have welded #87 and #88 (referencing the VTI site above) together to do the action job so now the safety cant be installed?

I'll have to pull the trigger assembly out tonight or this weekend and check, I can't tell just by removing the side plates and stock.

For a while that was a popular mod and I have seen several examples. I have no idea if that is a better/safer system or not, only that some have done it and apparently liked it. If they have been welded together it would proabably be best to get another set (upper/lower trigger), restore the safety system to its original configuration and go from there. BTW the Smith shop trigger safety spring makes the safety work correctly and I personally cannot tell that it is in there as it is so "soft" in the resistance to the lever. You will like it. :)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

For a while that was a popular mod and I have seen several examples. I have no idea if that is a better/safer system or not, only that some have done it and apparently liked it. If they have been welded together it would proabably be best to get another set (upper/lower trigger), restore the safety system to its original configuration and go from there. BTW the Smith shop trigger safety spring makes the safety work correctly and I personally cannot tell that it is in there as it is so "soft" in the resistance to the lever. You will like it. :)

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

My Taylor's & Co. Cody Conagher '73 carbine still has its safety and like you said, it is not even noticable but functional, so I think it may have this coil type spring. Guess I'll take it apart this weekend and compare. I want to make this backup just like it as much as possible.

Archived