SASS Wire Forum

The Mile High Club

Aunt Jen

So how many of you have shot over a mile above mean sea level? :)

AJ................

You know a true gentleman never ever kisses and shots !!! :wub: :wub:

I live at over a mile above sea level, so I reckon if I've done it, I've done it at over a mile high.

Grizz

Well, Griz, then I guess you're a member of the Mile High Club. Dishearteningly, I've never shot at least a mile above sea level, so I recon I'm a little behind you.

I attended the Colorado School of Mines in Golden CO (FREE COORS FOR STUDENTS!) so yes seemed to go bang the same as at sea level.... perhaps if I was a sniper taking shots at 3 clicks out I would need to calculated the effects of the thiner air on my accuracy but since I was mostly skeet shooting back then I did not

I am in.. Prescott AZ at 5500 feet.. and I hunted in the Flagstaff area.. well over that as well as up around Lakeside, AZ, in the Bradshaw mountain around Crown King, AZ, I think Casa Rosa Ranch in AZ was pretty close, but I am not sure it is a whole mile. I shot in the higher areas because when I first moved to AZ I put in for a cow elk tag ever year, and got drawn every year. So, click bang.. I hunted every year. No I did not bag one every year, in fact one year with a scope in the eye on a 30.06 I was lucky to hunt anything but stars.. loll

Well, Griz, then I guess you're a member of the Mile High Club. Dishearteningly, I've never shot at least a mile above sea level, so I recon I'm a little behind you.

C'mon out, I got plenty of ammo and you can use my guns.

Hand primed about 500 cases tonight that are ready for powder and lead so that they can join the stockpile in the ammo cabinet.

well, look at this: I'm not in this club. I don't think I've ever fired a gun above 5280' MSL. It almost seems like I should arrange it. I could travel to a high-altitude place some time to shoot in a match or something, I recon, and perhaps I should. :)

C'mon out, I got plenty of ammo and you can use my guns.

Hand primed about 500 cases tonight that are ready for powder and lead so that they can join the stockpile in the ammo cabinet.

It would probably be best to work that way, too, Griz. Because I'd probably drop by some time on my way through, on a flight to the midwest for something, and I wouldn't have any guns with me.

I should stop by some time, if you're up to it. I haven't had any time to travel for some time, but I'm sure I will sometime in the future. I have family thataway, too. So maybe I should stop by sometime and join the club, at least for one shot. :)

Plan it right and you can shoot a match, I'm more than happy to share my guns, if you're willing shoot 38s :D

.38s are great. I have .38s, too.

But more likely, it'd be me dropping by on a flight, offering to buy you and your wife a lunch, if you'd like a little conversation. That'd be about my style. (Then go out to a range, right quick, pop one off so I can be in the club! Ha!)

Aunt Jen.

You really don't have enough to do, do you? :blush:

When I lived in Utah my front door was over a mile above sea level and every place I shot (except waterfowl in the west fields) in the immediate area was higher still.

BTW, did you know that higher altitudes have thinner air and less gravity so your guns shoot further and harder? Well, didja? :P:lol:

My range here at the house is at 7,000 ft. The club range in Cortez is at 6,200.

When I lived in Utah my front door was over a mile above sea level and every place I shot (except waterfowl in the west fields) in the immediate area was higher still.

BTW, did you know that higher altitudes have thinner air and less gravity so your guns shoot further and harder? Well, didja? :P:lol:

Yes, that's right. R u an engineer? But my aim is so poor, it's hard to tell the difference. :)

Does being alone when it happened still count as a membership??? :)

Ha! Well..... If we r talking guns, yes, I'd think. If other, I'm not sure. ???? But somehow, I think it'd traditionally be no, but Woody Allen, Ron White, and Lewis Black would probably asset yes.

I shot my first elk at timberline on Table Mountain in Colorado, just North of Wolf Creek pass and within sight of Hunter's Lake. I was at well over 11,000 feet altitude when I fired the two shots.

Aunt Jen, you really need to go flying today. A few lazy eights and chandelles will fix you right up.

Duffield

Well either way ya look at it i'm in the lats post i made a bout the Deer was for shootin, the post above that for pikes peak was for the 2 legged Dear .... ummm yea pretty shure she was .... and with that .... bottles ... another round on AJ ... ooops i mean on me .. :D

EOT is 8,000', dun thit twice......

cheyenne

EOT is 8,000', dun thit twice......

cheyenne

8,000? That would put it higher than Flagstaff. I belief Founders Ranch is little over 6,000 ft.

My range here at the house is at 7,000 ft. The club range in Cortez is at 6,200.

Yep...shot several deer on mountains that were over 10,000....a double mile high club :lol:

I shot my first elk at timberline on Table Mountain in Colorado, just North of Wolf Creek pass and within sight of Hunter's Lake. I was at well over 11,000 feet altitude when I fired the two shots.

Aunt Jen, you really need to go flying today. A few lazy eights and chandelles will fix you right up.

Duffield

Yes, it would. I was out doing steep turns the other day with Painless. It's so nice to go through your own wake.

Now, I haven't shot a mile high, but I've flown a mile high. Does that count?

Archived