SASS Wire Forum

Cpap Bpap

Red Cent

I've tried most all of 'em. I sleep on my stomach and side. Cannot abide the straps, head piece, and mask. Have any of you tried the CpapCpro known as the "No Mask"?

I work for a VA sleep lab. We evaluated the "No Mask" to see if it was a interface that we wanted to use. Our sleep techs could not get it to stay in place. Also having a mouthpiece (kinda like a football one) really made the test subjects drool...alot! I don't recommend it. I still have people that hear about it and insist on trying it. Haven't had anyone yet that can make it work.

For nasal pillow systems I recommend the Respironics Optilife or ResMed Swift LT.

CPK

Don't know about the particular kinds of masks,but like the other post I to work at the VA in Primary Care and can tell you that Sleep Apnea is almost epidemic in our society. Especially in the baby boomer age group. It is also a leading cause of High Blood Pressure, which is a leading cause of Kidney diease. So if you have noticed a trend here you are right. Keep working toward a set up that works. Most people I put on C or Bipap come back and say its the best thing anyone has done for they ,medically speaking. Good Luck.

Caprock

Red,

I said the same thing for a long time between being diagnosed in 2003 and 2005 when I wound up in the hospital for 11 days with A Fib(sleep apnea related) and a blood clot in my heart. I tried several different masks and finally settled on a ResMed full face. I don't even lie down for a nap anymore without one. You can get used to it. :)

I sleep with a "Nasal Pillow" CPAP, RESMED.

http://clinicalsleep-px.rtrk.ca/cpap-masks.cfm

Took about 3 month to really get used to it. It's been a year now and O can't sleeo without now and I'm finally waking up rested. Now that is worth it.

Be patient and keep at it it'll gety easier as you go, patience is key.

Frenchy!

I used to sleep all over the bed, only I wasn't actually sleeping. I slept at work and when it got so bad that I was scared to drive, I went to the sleep doc. I am a mouth breather so the nasal masks don't work. It has been about 10 years now and I sleep clear through the night on my back using a full face mask. Best thing I ever did.

I have been on a BiPAP for seven and half years. The first seven was with a full face mask. It took six to nine months to get use to it, but even in that time I was sleep during the night and feeling much rested in the morning. At the begining of this year I was fitted with a Nasal Pillow and I can sleep on my side now.

I was at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN in 2008 for a workup for interstial lung disease (you don't want it) and they did a sleep apnea test. I was waking up 50-60 times an hour. I wasn't sleeping. I got a BiPAP. The settings are 8/15. It took some getting use to, but now I sleep through the night. A friend of mine is very claustrophobic and had to have the surgery to change the position of his jaw. Not fun.

There is a big fat nasal cannula type thing out there. I don't remember who makes it. It is big and soft, and the airpressure expands the cannula nose piece so it ocludes the nare. Works great!

There is a big fat nasal cannula type thing out there. I don't remember who makes it. It is big and soft, and the airpressure expands the cannula nose piece so it ocludes the nare. Works great!

Sounds like the Nasal-Aire.

CPK

I want to thank all of you. I've had the sleep study and go in this Wednesday for the Cpap adjustment (I'm sure there's a name for it; "striation?"

Anyhow, I'm now better prepared for what to ask for.

I did have one friend Cpap is good news and bad news. Good news is he sleeps better than ever before. Bad news is he can't sleep without it.

Pitmaster, do you have one that's battery operated?

Thanks again for starting and contributing to this thread.

Don't think I could sleep with something on my face....I just take my little bluepill about an hour before bed and get 6-8 hours sleep without waking up.

Hellfire

Thanks folks. It seems as if I have snored forever. I have had the sleep studies and rated moderate to high sleep apnea. I have worn some masks and, Royal Barnes, I suppose I did not give them a chance. I cannot sleep on my back. Its not the snoring. Its the discomfort. I normally sleep on either side, high hip and knee up at 90 degrees. I cannot sleep with anything in front of my mouth. I use home made pillows that are firm and I can "pack" then so my mouth and nose protrude just past the pillow.

The masks do not bother my breathing. Surprise. The helpful pressure is relaxing. Its the straps, head piece, and the mask fitting loose here and having distracting pressure there.

I will investigate your recommendations. Hope something works.

Please keep any suggestions coming.

What little blue pill? If you are talking Ambien, ask me about losing about 4 hours one morning during which I dressed, packed, drove to the restaurant, then drove to the range. No idea. Stopped taking them immediately.

Has anyone used these?

http://www.thecpappeople.com/Products/Fisher-and-Paykel-Oracle-452-Oral-Interface__HC452A.aspx

concidreing the rapid response to this issue and the number of cowboys who know all about it, I guess there are plenty of us needing a little help in this area. Me Too. I have a full beard and when I tried the mask I had to tighten it so much to get a seal I started to get pressure wounds on my face. Have had the nose pillows for a long time now and they work just fine. I can nap in my recliner without it if it is upright, but otherwise it is my constant sleeping companion, wife or no wife. WW

Red, Take the time and go to your supplier and let them help you adjust your mask. I went through the same thing and gave up until United Medical rented an office space from me. I told the my problem and they got me up and running frst time.

During my sleep study, they sent me home at 3.00am and said "your not dying on my shift, go home". Over a minute without breathing was killing me. I slept on my sides, back and forth for so long my shoulders hurt constantly. Now I sleep on my back and don't move all night. Full night's rest in about 5 or 6 hours. Sleep apnea caused my dad's first heart attack. RIP Pa.

Cash

Archived