SASS Wire Forum

Winchester .45 Colt brass

Tomboy

Winchester Brass is thinner.

Winchester brass has narrower and shallower extraction groove as well.

Rifle that have problems removing spent case are usually found to be shooting Winchester or Remington brass.

Starline brass is thicker, and has wider deeper extraction groove. This allows rifle extractors to get a better more positive grip on the case.

Winchester Brass is thinner.

Winchester brass has narrower and shallower extraction groove as well.

Rifle that have problems removing spent case are usually found to be shooting Winchester or Remington brass.

Starline brass is thicker, and has wider deeper extraction groove. This allows rifle extractors to get a better more positive grip on the case.

I've found Top Brass is the thickest. It won't hold as much BP as most of the others by a discernable amount.

I know that Starline 45 Colt brass is the same thickness as their 44 Magnum brass - thereby allowing for some real robust 45 loads - but dont; EVER use those kinda loads in the New Vaquero, Colt, Colt replicas. 1875 Remington, etc...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy

I love this type of question. I am sitting here at the computer, with a big pile of 45 Colt brass from a bunch of different makers, and my calipers. I have measured neck thickness of all the brass. Here is the raw data.

Winchester .010 - .011

Starline .010 - .011

PMC .011 - .012

Top Brass .010

Remington Peters .011 -.012

PMC .010 - .011

CBC .010 - .011

Hornady .011 only one case to measure.

Overall, very little variation from brand to brand. I too used to believe that Winchester was the thinnest brass. But the brand spanky new Starline brass I just got from Starline is running the same as Winchester. This bears out what I have found with recent Starline 44-40 too.

Sorry, no data on rim size or extractor grooves. Too lazy to compile that information, and I don't own any rifles chambered for 45 Colt anyway.

I know that Winchester primer pockets are tighter than other brands of brass.

I would trade him Winchester brass for his Starline everyday of the week!

Thickness includes the mouth area, the base area and the rim. My Starline brass simply lasts longer and loads more consistently (crimp, stretching) than other brands except for AJ's .45 cowboy special (only one source for that jem).

*QUOTE*

So those other brands beside Starline can handle 45 Colt + P loads available to load.

I use Rem 45LC brass when shooting my Freedom Arms 4 3/4" 454 Casull.

350gr bullet @ 1550fps. Brass is used 10 times then pitched.

Rem makes strong brass.

WOW!!! :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy

I love this type of question. I am sitting here at the computer, with a big pile of 45 Colt brass from a bunch of different makers, and my calipers. I have measured neck thickness of all the brass. Here is the raw data.

Winchester .010 - .011

Starline .010 - .011

PMC .011 - .012

Top Brass .010

Remington Peters .011 -.012

PMC .010 - .011

CBC .010 - .011

Hornady .011 only one case to measure.

Overall, very little variation from brand to brand. I too used to believe that Winchester was the thinnest brass. But the brand spanky new Starline brass I just got from Starline is running the same as Winchester. This bears out what I have found with recent Starline 44-40 too.

Sorry, no data on rim size or extractor grooves. Too lazy to compile that information, and I don't own any rifles chambered for 45 Colt anyway.

There you go again, messing up Wire Anecdotal Data with facts! :lol:

I shoot mainly Winchester Brass and have for the past 10 years. Some of the brass I'm shooting at monthly shoots is 10 years old. I reload it once or twice a month. Lately I'v been getting splits in about 10 per shoot which I don't think is bad for brass that old. Some of the people I shoot with when they see split brass get unset at the unloading table. When I see split brass I get rid of it. I

get about 100 new .45LC brass each year and load it and put it in the back of my ammo locker and bring it out as needed. All the other brass I get I load and give to friends to use when they try

CAS.

Keep them on the metal boys ! !

Archived