SASS Wire Forum

Road Trip (Out West)

Barbwire Benn

A shooting buddy and myself and packing up the wagons and heading west from central NC at the end of Sept. for a ATV trip in the Mountains of Utah.

What are the "BEST" must see places on the way and back ???

We are heading out I-40 to Nashville I-24, to St Louis and onto I-70 thru the plains and over the pass and into the central Utah mountains.

Our trip back is South out of Utah into Albuquerque and onto Founders Ranch for the last few days of the "Outlaw Trail" on Oct. 1st and 2nd.

We gotta go to "Mecca" and see the Ranch.

Returning to NC via I-40 thru New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and back into Nashville and Home.

Looking for the great "Must See" stops......cowboy stores, gun stores, boots and leather stores, or maybe the biggest ball of Aluminum foil if its a good stop.

Post up your favorites.

Pictures to come.

Barbwire Benn.

If you have time to stop in KCMO, you really should visit the steamboat Arabia museum. Absolutely amazing collection of artifacts from ca. 1850s. The whole boat went down after hitting a snag on the Missouri River and sank within minutes, the cargo was preserved as it sank in mud. Anyhow, if you have the time, it's worth the stop.

Bodine

Plus one on the Arabia in KC. A fellow cowboy gave us the tip and it is a superb snapshot of history. While you are there go find the original Arthur Bryant's BBQ place and enjoy a rack of ribs and the smoked turkey with a pitcher of Boulevard beer. Kansas City has a SUPERB ww1 museum and it is right accross the way from the restored train station.

Once you are in Kansas, the Army base at Fort Riley is not far off your path and host an excellent Cavalry Museum. I also rather enjoyed an understated visit to Ellsworth, one of the historical sin cities of the Old West. Its been 8 years or so since I went through so you may want to check it out on the web first.

As for Colorado, you can swing north and go through the Rocky Mountain national Park or go south and meander through some historic towns like Leadville and Fairplay. Go north if you can swing it.

Whenever I road trip, I always go on the website for each state and ask for a visitor package. They will send you a road map and guide book in the mail and you can have these handy during your trip.

I hope you enjoy the Outlaw Trail. It should have the best weather conditions of the three major matches at FR. Hope to meet you there. Ron Petersons Guns shop in Albuquerque has a good selection of antique guns and is worth a visit. I haven't seen Long Hunter's new gun store in Amarillo but expect it is worth a stop if only to greet Bogus Deal and Long Hunter. If you want to see a cowboy tourist trap the Big Texan steakhouse on the east side of Amarillo will do (might be as interesting as a big ball of aluminum foil). BTW the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta starts the same weekend at the Outlaw Trail ends. Seeing hundreds of balloons fly is worthwhile.

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. When you come through Grand Junction CO the Colorado National Monument is breathtaking in the morning, it has been used for lots of commercials because of its rugged beauty. The Colorado Rockies are very pretty as well, watch for Desert Bighorn sheep between Downieville and Georgetown (right off of I-70). If you have the time stop in at Glenwood Springs for a dip in the hot springs pools (very relaxing :) ) or as you head back down to New Mexico you can go over Red Mountain Pass, Molas Pass and Coal Bank Pass. In Ouray there are the Box Canyon Falls and another hot springs pool. Along the way you go by Ridgeway with Orvis Hot springs (clothing optional) and in Durango Trimble hot springs. Near the bottom of Coal Bank pass heading into Durango is a spring that has built up right beside the road, it is supposed to be very healthy and invigorate you.

Again have fun on your trip

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

You will enjoy Taos and Sante Fe. When you get to Alburquerque you might enjoy the tram to the top of the mountain...looks touristy but is ather spectacular.

As you head back east on I-40, keep an eye on your right before you get to Amarillo and check out the Cadillac ranch where a rancher planted 10 cadillacs in the ground over 10 years. Stop and take a couple free pictures.

It is a LONG drive from Amarillo to Oklamoma City, so fuel up and be rested as there is little in between. Once in Oklahoma City be SURE to go to the National Cowboy Museum and plan to spend several hours there. Besides great history and atifacts, there is some of the best art you'll see. One of the founders was a guy from California (originally from Iowa) who acted in some movies and left several of his guns and holsters to the museum...you may have heard of him..John Wayne? Some of his buddies left some things there too.

Lava fields near Grants,NM I-40 between Gallup and Albuquerque.

Cowboy breakfast -Just south of Amarillo is this little jewel, call for confirmation (night before) just to make sure.Elkins Ranch link

Panhandle plains museum about 5 miles from Elkins Ranch Plains Museum

I enjoyed the Wind turbine farms along I-40 in Oklahoma. Try to imagine how big they are.

On your way through Denver stop at the "Wings Over the Rockies" Museum on the old Lowry AFB. I used to teach kids how to load bombs on the B-52B they have outside, only back then it was inside the hangar.

If you git into Durango, Colorado, don't miss taking the D&SNGRR train ride to Silverton & return.

If you can afford the dollars, hire seats in the one of the semi-private cars, Cinco Animas, or Nomad.

You won't regret it! I can speak from personal experience this summer...

Worth every dollar spent.

Brasspounder

GHSS Fairbanks, Alaska

Some great info guys.

We are taking two weeks for the ATV ride and the trip out.

Now I'm wishing it was 3.

Griz, We did Taylor Park last year, what a beautiful place

but hard on man and machines.

Looking forward to the "Real" west.

Barbwire Benn

A shooting buddy and myself and packing up the wagons and heading west from central NC at the end of Sept. for a ATV trip in the Mountains of Utah.

What are the "BEST" must see places on the way and back ???

We are heading out I-40 to Nashville I-24, to St Louis and onto I-70 thru the plains and over the pass and into the central Utah mountains.

Our trip back is South out of Utah into Albuquerque and onto Founders Ranch for the last few days of the "Outlaw Trail" on Oct. 1st and 2nd.

We gotta go to "Mecca" and see the Ranch.

Returning to NC via I-40 thru New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and back into Nashville and Home.

Looking for the great "Must See" stops......cowboy stores, gun stores, boots and leather stores, or maybe the biggest ball of Aluminum foil if its a good stop.

Post up your favorites.

Pictures to come.

Barbwire Benn.

Logan Canyon, east of Logan, Utah to Bear Lake is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Almost anything from there south to St. George in the mountains east if the I-15 is worth a look, too. If you get to Brigham City, go to Idle Isle Candy on Main Street and get a few hundred pounds of "nut balls", my favorite candy in the whole world.

If you drive through Sunset at sunset you'll see why it got its name.

For 4-wheeling and ATV riding, one of the best and most scenic areas is above Ouray, Lake City, Creede (where Bob Ford met his demise), and Silverton in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. Gorgeous scenery, Victorian old west towns, ghost towns (such as Animas Forks), and great trails to ride on. You also have the hot springs at Ouray to soak in after the day's ride. Also in the area are Telluride (where Butch Cassidy held-up the bank) and Ridgeway (where John Wayne's "True Grit" was filmed). The "Million Dollar Highway" runs between Ouray and Silverton and contains some fabulous scenery and more old ghost towns. Lots to see and do down there, especially if you are a 4-wheeler or ATV rider.

Just off I-25 south of Raton Pass you can take the cut-off over to Cimarron, NM, to the old St. James Hotel. A fascinating place that was the center of the Colfax County War that preceded the more well-known Lincoln County War. Just about everybody who was anybody stayed at the St. James at one time or another. Some 26 gunfights took place in and around the St. James in the 1870s and 1880s. The hotel bar still has the bullet holes in the ceiling.

Have a great time. There are more things to see and do than you will have time for.

Happy trails, Squint

Oklahoma City - Cowboy Hall of Fame.

+1 for Lake City - ATV out to American Basin...

+1 for Crede - 17 mile loop through the mining area just outside of Crede & the upper Rio Grande

+1 for Raton and just south of Raton is the NRA's Whittingon Center (they have a great RV Park)

+1 for the sand dunes just north of hwy 160 in Colorado--northwest of Raton...

You need to travel a bit farther!

If you don't visit Northern Nevada and Lake Tahoe in particular, you're shorting yourself!

Northern Nevada, Virginia City, The Comstock Load, Ft. Churchill(Only Civil War Federal Fort built by Lincoln during the Civil War to protect the Comstock Lode)

and of course, Lake Tahoe, The 'Jewel of the Sierras'..Most beautiful spot in the US, bar none.Tons of SASS shooting clubs in Northern Nevada/Northern CA, and packed with western history.

Plus, Nevada is the TRUE Cowboy State! ;):D

Plus one on the Arabia in KC. A fellow cowboy gave us the tip and it is a superb snapshot of history. While you are there go find the original Arthur Bryant's BBQ place and enjoy a rack of ribs and the smoked turkey with a pitcher of Boulevard beer. Kansas City has a SUPERB ww1 museum and it is right accross the way from the restored train station.

Did this plus Gates BBQ. A very nice little town.

Archived