SASS Wire Forum

Unique powder for shotgun loads

Two Spurs

Can anyone send me a PM with any reduced loads for 12 ga. using Unique powder- 7/8 or 1 oz shot. Would like to find something equal to or preferably less punch than Winchester Featherlites.

Thanks. ^_^

IMO, Unique is NOT a good powder for a reduced Shotgun load. I've been using Unique in 12 ga Shotshells since the early 60s, and for the most part, it is used in a bit hotter load than you are talking about.

Snakebite

IMO, Unique is NOT a good powder for a reduced Shotgun load. I've been using Unique in 12 ga Shotshells since the early 60s, and for the most part, it is used in a bit hotter load than you are talking about.

Snakebite

Can't prove that by me.........

Used 700X and Unique. I will stay with Unique for "Cowboy" loads.

Cheers,

LG

Everyone has their own favorite. I prefer a little faster powder for light loads.

Snakebite

+1

Effective reduced loads REQUIRE fast powders. Unique doesn't quite fit that description.

RBK

Not to steal the post but possibly to give another option, has anyone tried red dot powder for reduced 7/8's loads? Seems to me I recall a fairly light load being produced about 8 years ago using red dot but could be wrong.

Not to steal the post but possibly to give another option, has anyone tried red dot powder for reduced 7/8's loads? Seems to me I recall a fairly light load being produced about 8 years ago using red dot but could be wrong.

I've used Red Dot for reduced loads for MANY years. When I started loading Shotshells in the early 60s, the old guy who got me started told me that I only needed two powders... Red Dot for light loads, and Unique for Hot loads. Yes, I know... it's pretty basic advice, but time has proved his advice to be good. There have been new powders introduced since them, and I have no doubt that some of them would work equally well or maybe even better.

Snakebite

Just finishing up my Titegroup (has served very nicely for pistol and shotgun alike) but I have a bunch of Unique that's been sitting around for a while and I want to use it up. Loading pistol cartridges with it now but wondered about the shotgun too.

N100 is my favorite and will make it's way back on my shelf eventually. ;)

Again, thanks for all the ideas.

:)

Archived