SASS Wire Forum

"~Gee, Dad, it's a Winchester~!"

Remember the old magazine ad... where the kid finds a new rifle under the tree Christmas morning? "Gee, Dad...!"

So I'm a-wonderin'... how do we do that these days...?

Obviously, when we "give" guns to our kids when they ARE kids, we just wrap 'em up like always and stuff 'em under the tree. No problem - yet!

Now, what about our adult children...? Specifically in this age of registration requirements and waiting periods...? Somehow it just ain't the same giving someone a card with a picture of a gift that they'll receive ten days after going down to the store and filling out the paperwork... and that after arguing with the clerk that it is NOT a "straw sale" since you're only paying for it and it will be registered to the kid (or spouse, brother, whomever...)

And the guns we "gave" our kids when they started shooting and hunting and Cowboy Shooting... I reckon at some point we'll have to spend a fortune and take 'em down, have the "titles" transferred, let 'em sit in someone else's safe for a couple weeks... O Bother. :(:wacko::angry:

Thoughts or suggestions welcomed - and yes, I'm in that Out West state that does not have that Out West attitude...

Hardpan; I've been giving my kids guns for 15 years now. I just give them OLD GUNS that I've bought cash and carry at gun shows or from friends. My Dads' .22 rifle was given to me at 21 years of age, and I gave it to my oldest son when he was 21. he'll be 40 in Oct. Christmas and Birthday gifts are easy when you have 100 guns in the safe, they are going to get them all when I croak anyway. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Hardpan,

Just curious, does California require you to "register" and have "titles" for firearms?

We don't do that in the free USA.

If I buy a firearm and later give it to a family member, as long as I have no knowledge of them being a criminal or crazy,

It's just my business, not the gob-mint ;)

I remember getting a Winchester for Christmas when i was 13 or 14 ... it was the best Christmas ever .... now i guess i'm with big jake give em a used one or better yet an antiques winchester 1883 1894 in good shape ... little or no paper work ... or the flee market, swap meet and some gun shows ... got a black hawk at fleem arket didnt even ask me for an id just took the cash and said have a nice day ....

We don't have to register or have titles to guns we already have but when we buy a new one or sell one it has to go through a dealer. I have guns I bought 10 years ago when private sales didn't have to go through a dealer but if I want to sell them I will have to go through one to transfer it to the new owner.

We don't have to register or have titles to guns we already have but when we buy a new one or sell one it has is supposed to go through a dealer. I have guns I bought 10 years ago when private sales didn't have to go through a dealer but if I want to sell them I will have to go through one to transfer it to the new owner.

Next question.

I'ver tracked down and bought an Ithica "Saddle Gun" . . that is just like the one I was given on my 16th birthday.

It is for my grandson who is too young to "own a gun" in California. It'll be "his to use" on the ranch and in the surrounding empty desert with me on site.

When he's getting close to 18 and able to "own a gun"..... he can dream about what gun he wants, . . I'll then pay for it, and he can actually receive it on ( or near ) his 18th birthday.

The "Saddle Gun" will go to his younger brother.

Archived