SASS Wire Forum

Pellet rifles

JD Trampas, SASS # 55781

I have been spraying some stuff around the shed and borders of the house, this stuff is supposed to keep rabbits away, yea right, it does good for at least 2 or 3 days. This stuff is high priced, from what I have spent so far I could have bought a pellet rifle. Here awhile back I seen a rabbit in the yard, went out to chase it away, it wasn't backing up one bit, finally it took off when I was only 2 feet away, found out why, it was guarding a hole in the ground where it laid the babies, a whole bunch of them, went and got the shovel and killed them and dumped them, filled the hole back in with dirt. So I need a pellet rifle to get rid of these suckers.

What do you recommend???? I know my brother in law has a gamo with scope for his rabbits and other critters around, my other brother in law has one also, but don't know the brand of his, his don't have a scope. I want one that will do the job on one ( 1 ) pump, I don't want to sit there and pump 10 times to get the power. Have been looking online and seen some that were interesting, didn't realize they were that high priced, but like I said I have spent at least $100 so far on this liquid stuff that you mix, also try the stuff that you spread down with the lawn spreader, it didn't work as good as the liquid.

P.S. Update, see post #16

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. Would like to get one that is quiet, don't want the next door neighbors around me calling the cops, that is why I haven't used my 22 rifle, sure tempting though, I have a wooden privacy fence around the properly, will only shoot the rabbits here in the back yard, not up front where the neighbors can see, I know they would call the cops then, LOL

Thanks for the reply Chief Rick not sure, have never shot any of those, may have to try them out to see, I did ask a cop at a gun show one time, he said no 22's in town, so I'm thinking of pellet rifle for now. Not sure how much power those sub sonic 22's have, not to sure if I miss the rabbit I want it going thru my privacy fence into anothers persons properly, the ones behind me have kids, so I know I will have to be careful even with a pellet rifle

All for now JD Trampas

Now I maybe wrong. It seems like most 22 pellet guns are about the same power level as a 22 sub sonic round. I recently kicked around getting a 22 pellet gun for rabbits and what nots. The end result was a new 22 rifle. It was cheaper to buy a Sig 522 than a 22 pellet rifle. The Ruger 9622 was just not shooting sub sonic rounds very well, so that prompted a switch. I run a can with sub sonic 22 rounds. Yes it has a proper tax stamp, no it is not difficult to obtain if you can stand waiting.

I'm looking at the 177 pellet rifles myself, not 22, have all kinds of 22 ammo and guns, just can't shoot a 22 in town, so that is why I want a 177 pellet gun, not sure if I can shoot this in town or now, will check to make sure before I buy though, both brother in laws do it all the time, small town and they are on the edge of town to boot.

All for now JD Trampas

A pellet gun is NOT a "firearm" :o

Caliber of said pellet gun don't mean a dang thing in this case ;)

You should find out for sure what the law is and not just what the LEO told you. The LEO you spoke to could/may be incorrect.

Respectfully,

LG

JD, I have been know to take a rabbit or two in my backyard with a Benjamin pump pellet rifle. It does require multiple pumps but six seems to work for quick dispatch. Even at this reduced level, there is a sharp report that could be heard by a neighbor. Don't tell the Misses or I'm busted. Sagerider

It sounds like the local Police frown on discharging firearms in you town. Pellet guns aren't firearms so that should work. I have the same rules here so I bought this one.

GAMO Whisper Air Rifle with Noise Dampener

It's a .17 cal and pushes their Hunter pellet to 1000-1100 FPS. Shoots relatively flat to about 25yds.-30 yds. One shot kills on squirrels and rabbits.

It sounds like the local Police frown on discharging firearms in you town. Pellet guns aren't firearms so that should work. I have the same rules here so I bought this one.

But they may have specific rules also banning pellet guns. That's the case here within our captial city limits.

I have a Gammo break breach in .17 caliber. It dispatches squirrels and rabbits -- no problem. Very accurate but it does has some recoil and "report".

A friend of mine was telling me about nitrogen air rifles. He has both a remington and benjamin. The guns are break breach but rather than using a spring, they use a nitrogen cylinder that you compress. He tell me the "report" is very soft but they still have a veloctiy of 1000 to 1200 fps.

Does anyone out there have more information on these "nitrogen" pellet guns??

Conejo.

P.S. Would like to get one that is quiet, don't want the next door neighbors around me calling the cops, that is why I haven't used my 22 rifle, sure tempting though, I have a wooden privacy fence around the properly, will only shoot the rabbits here in the back yard, not up front where the neighbors can see, I know they would call the cops then, LOL

Use your .22. Throw the rabbit over the fence. Call the law...and report your neighbor. :D

+ 1 on the Gamo pellet rifles; I have the Socom Tactical .177 caliber Air Rifle with integrated laser, light and noise dampening system and the system and gun are just great for ridding the immediate area of unwanted varmits. Can't shoot any firearms in my village and probably shouldn't shoot this pellet gun either but, being retired, I don't shoot the gun more than four or five times at any one time and I try to shoot during a time of minimum neighbors or children around (read during school and work hours) so there aren't many people around to complain.

Well I went to Sportsmans Warehouse, they have a very nice section of pellet rifles, when I was online today I found a Stoegar X-20 which I was impressed with, has a baffle system so it is very quiet, like a silencer.

Nate, I seen the one you are talking about at Sportsmans also very quiet from Gamo

Also seen the Benjamin model, it takes several pumps, right now I'm between the one Nate said and the Stoegar

After talking to them there, will have to check local laws here, some towns won't let you which I'm surprised, but like the guy told me, if you are fenced in with a privacy fence, and you get one of the ones that shoot quiet, might get away with it, now my luck I would get caught and pay a hefty fine, not sure what they could do to you for sure, but will check with the city and see what they say or go online to check it out

All for now JD Trampas and thank you all for the replies

P.S. Just checked the law for here, the city code, can't use it or even a BB gun, was checking out further and found out I can't even use a live trap to catch them and relocate outside of the city, dang, this town is over 100,000 people, was really surprised about this. I guess I can get permission from the Chief of Police and they may let me or not. Still thinking of doing it anyway, only live once, hmmmmmmmmm did I just say that in print, I can see the cops and black helicopters now, LOL

I have an RWS Diana Model 350. It's a .177, scoped, requires one pump and travels at 1250 fps. Will it take care of rabbits? You betcha. I shot a fox in the head with it and it definitely took care of business. Would I normally go after foxes with it? Nope, but that's what I had with me. I normally use it to keep the crows from depredating my orchard.

I would go to the local police station and ask if they could show you the local laws on the books concerning the firing of any guns with in the town limits or other residential regulations. Some times the cops on the force don't know the laws on the books. Could save you some money or jail time.

I retired from a suburb of Dayton,Ohio. My city and most of the surrounding cities had an ordinance that forbid the discharge of firearms in the city limits. The ordinance listed the various types of projectile launching devices "for purposes of this ordinance" and included all firearms, bb guns, pellet guns, bow and arrows, crossbows and slingshots. You should be able to find a copy of your city's ordinances at the local library. If I remember correctly the violation was an arrestable offense.

Check post #16, already checked it out, the city code forbids the use of pellet and BB guns, any type of firearm within the city limits, now granted I can ask the Chief of Police and get permission to shoot the rabbits, or he may just turn me down or say go ahead or do it on the sly, if it is quiet and no noise, I could be good to go.

But check post #16

All for now JD Trampas

JD......YOU KILLED BABY BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put out carrots and trap them then drop them off a few miles west of me in this guys yard.

Chili Pepper Kid

Thanks alot there buddy, now I know where they are coming from since I live west of you and not that far either, LOL

All for now JD Trampas ( who hates rabbits )

Actually JD I put baby powder on my garden plants ta keep the rabbits from eating them until the plants are big enough. I also have a Sheridan .20 pellet gun and have shot a few. I guess I didn't think about it being illegal cuz we always shot bb guns when I was a kid.

CPK

if you buy a pellet gun check it out by shooting at abaord the same thickness as your fence, to check for penatration to help with misses or ricocehe. also you can buy differant pellet what will increase the velocity of the pellet by several hundred feet per sec,which will increase the effectiveness of the gun. Also I would talk to to your neigbor about there thought about shooting the rabbis that are eating your garden and the precaution you would would be taking while shooting the rabbits. Because if the niegbor don't complain who will will report you

Archived