SASS Wire Forum

Is every one OK on the East Coast

Tom Payne 13115

We're ok Upstate Tom, My neighbors didn't make out so good, They have about 2 feet of water in their basement.

Yeah, passable. No wind damage. Heck, almost no wind.Little thunder and lightning. Cellar's flooded, maybe 2". I found where water's coming in throgh cracks in the cement block walls, thought of plugging them, then I found where the water was simply welling UP around the edges of the floor slab, between it and the blocks. No hope there. Now just letting it all run out the back door as fast as it comes in.

Woke up 30 minutes ago after a nap on the couch with the dog to find the wind dying down, the rain stopped and the skies clearing. No apparent damage here. No reports of any other cowboys & cowgirls in New England having major problems although some are without power and have minor damage such as light flooding, trees down and shutters damaged and the like.

We had 2.5 inches of rain in the backyard rain gauge when I let the dogs out this morning. Some small tree limbs down, but no trees. The wind last night was intermitent and in short 20-30 MPH gusts. The power never went off, but the lights did flicker a couple of times. The whole thing failed to live up to the media hype, at least here in Fredericksburg.

Howdy

The rain stopped around 2:00PM here. Winds are still gusty, but we seem to have escaped unscathed. I was pretty sure we would loose power, but we did not. Gus and I went out on an inspection tour of the neighborhood. Lots of small branches on the ground, but no major trees down. Now I just have to keep my eye on the Merrimack River a couple of hundred yards away. The computer models are saying it will crest within its banks tomorrow night. I sure hope so. I gotta get serious about flood insurance, I'm getting tired of worrying about that darn river in my living room.

We're OK up on our hill, the creek is a roaring little river and some branches down, nothing major. The first few times the lights flickered, I went around resetting things. I finally gave up and just let things flash as the power kept "bliping" every so often.....

The main part of town at the bottom of our hill is not so lucky. The water through the main road was deep and moving very fast. It runs next to a narrow part of the river which jumped the banks and headed into town. Many roads closed, parts of them washed away, trees down and some folks had to be plucked off their front porch in boats. We took a walk after the rain stopped and were amazed at what a difference a few blocks and a little elevation makes.

It was pretty much a non-event where I live. We had worse thunderstorms this summer. Too far west for Irene I guess. But, I am not complaining.

45 of us shot at Damascus on Saturday and got it all done without getting wet. :)

Hello the fire,

The rain had let up but it has started again and now the wind is picking up for the first time. Some water in the basement, fairly normal with lots of rain and we have not lost power.

Chelsea

Lou & Doc,

Glad to hear you and Doc made it through OK Miss Lou, just some more sunshine out here in AZ. Old home town of Forestville, CT got wacked pretty good, Pequabuck River tore through the center of town most areas under 4-5' of water. Couple of nuckelheads decided to go kyaking on the river and got swept away.

Regards,

TB

Everything is fine here on the coast just south of Boston. We got an on and off again rain until 3pm today and a gusts of wind for a few minutes. It was no big deal. We had more violent storms earlier this summer. We are very thankful that it was not a howler.

Yankee

North Carolina coast took it on the chin with, I believe, 5 dead, lots of wind, storm damage, and flooding. I'm about 140 miles inland so our storm consisted of 20-30 mph winds, gusting to 50, all day rain and a few trees down. Lost power for about three hours yesterday afternoon. We were very lucky in our neck of the woods.

We're fine, no damage, a few small limbs down, about 3" of rain and winds not over 30 mph at the worst. Lights flickered, but we never lost power, though 1/2 our county did.

Much of the area was not so good. As much as 6 or 8 inches of rain, LOTS of trees down, power out to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the area, tons of individual and small outages and a few big ones (the power company's website keeps failing, overloaded as people try to see the outage map). Power company expects that to take several days to sort.

The bad news is, the water is doing what water does, and creeks and rivers are rising, dams threatened, some counties declared emergencies, forbid travel, and lots of roads are closed. One nearby creek is at record levels, two communities flooded, (bad enough they had to close a jail, move inmates), etc. That creek will crest 10 feet above flood stage, and bridges over it, including one over the NYS Thruway are closed (That bridge did fail once 20 years ago, killed 10 people on the thruway)..... Gonna be a slow slog to recover, especially considering we didn't really get BAD wind, just a lotta rain and enough wind to topple lots of trees in soggy soil.

Great wind, 5.5 inches of rain, bunch of big branches down, but no trees lost.

A non-event, except for one oddity.

Our power went down at 7:30 AM, BEFORE the storm got fired up; barely raining, very little wind. Power didn't come back until about 6:30 PM.

Now if I were a suspicious fella, I might think that somebody threw the switch to protect the utility's equipment, waited for the storm to pass, and then threw it back....especially since the Town posted a strange pre-storm announcement on the Web - "power will not be restored until the storm is over"....

Aw - a day without power is no big deal; I actually had a conversation with The Princess.....

LL

Well we made it through here with no damage other then a couple of shingles on the shed roof taking off but I need to redo it anyway. No power loss, no flooding, no trees down. Didnt lose power and the strongest winds of the day seemed to be in the late evening hours when the tail end of the mess came through. Time to put the batteries, candles etc away but I am leaving the bathtub full of water in hopes one of the cats will take an inadvertant bath while they streak around the house during their 0400 "get up and feed us" freakout.

Hope all my cowboy friends near streams, creeks, rivers etc are going to be safe from rising and receding water.

Update:

Finally got wind, (about 20-30 mph?) last nite 7 PM, just as I was going out for supper. By the time I went to head home (~1/2 hour), trees down all over, power out.

....especially since the Town posted a strange pre-storm announcement on the Web - "power will not be restored until the storm is over"....

Probably for the safety of the workers.

Now if I were a suspicious fella, I might think that somebody threw the switch to protect the utility's equipment, waited for the storm to pass, and then threw it back....especially since the Town posted a strange pre-storm announcement on the Web - "power will not be restored until the storm is over"....

Howdy Again Loophole

I suspect you are correct. If your town electric facilities are someplace where flooding was likely, they may well have pulled the switch. If the equipment gets flooded when it is unpowered, all they have to do is dry it out before they start it up again. But if it gets flooded while it is running, all sorts of stuff will short out and be ruined. I gather you were someplace in the western or central part of the state, where flash flooding was predicted.

My daughter vacations every summer on the Outer Banks. She sent a picture of a cut that Irene made thru the barrier islands between Frisco and Cape Hatteras. Be a while before anyone will be able to drive thru there. They are putting the Okracoke ferrys to use to get folks back and forth to work.

I'd like to hear from more of the Vermont cowboys to make sure everyone is ok. Looking at news reports there are some areas really cut off from everything with roads washed out. They made need HD offroad equipment or resupply by helicopter, neither of wich is good.

Loophole, cousins up at the camp on the Winnipesaukee had a big tree come down on Saturday that took down several poles and knocked out power for 8 hours. Talking to them yesterday we figured that was probably a lucky stroke as if it had come down during the storm with all the crews tied up there is no way to tell how much longer they would have been out.

Hate to say it but I didnt even have to close my "transom" units in the big bay window upfront and just as in the ice storm of a couple years ago we had no loss of power while others were off line for more then a week.

Archived