SASS Wire Forum

reloading ?

Russ T. Sites

Im using trail boss powder, I was looking for the sweet spot as far as bullet weight goes, Im sure each shooter likes what he likes. hopefully you guys can help take some of the experimenting out of it

I use the 200 grain myself, a little blow back, just have a tight crimp

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. In my 73's I don't notice it, in my marlin's, maybe 2 times during a match, not enough for me to warrant to going to bigger bullet

Trail Boss is real wimpy powder,the starting loads suck., fyi

I agree that 250's are the 'better' bullet,but I use 200's for less recoil,and the ring steel just fine.

I aso get less blowby with the larger bullets,but then my cylinder pins start coming loose.

I crimp nice and tight and still get blowback with 200's, I just add polisht to the tumbleing media and clean it up ,no biggee.

With one single exception (three, actually), accuracy suffers greatly in my .45 Colt revolvers with less than 230 grain bullets. The exception(s) is/are three 5 1/2" 1872 Open Tops which shoot exceptionally well with a flush seated round ball over Trail Boss - my ultimate gamer load. :P

You did not specify whether this question applied to long or short guns or both.

Pistols:

I like AJ's .45 Cowboy Specials. This .45 brass is shortened to acp length. When I first get them, I bake them at 450-F for 30 minutes to anneal the brass since I do not plan on using them for high-pressure rounds. This helps the brass swell and form a seal during firing.

For my pistols, I can use the .45 CS with a slightly compressed load of APP FFg or FFFg and any lead bullet from 155 to 200 grains with good results.

My indoor practice pistol loads are .45 Colts with 185-200 grain bullets over RedDot for about 700 fps. I like my pistols to rock a bit to aid cocking.

Rifles:

That same load goes for about 900 fps in a 24" 1860 Henry.

I have not tried to anneal the .45 Colt case yet since I also use it for more serious work at higher pressures. The blowback is not bad enough to be a probblem for a 10-stage match.

RedDot does not work very well for lighter loads. I do not care for Trailboss due to inconsistency on hot or cold days.

I do not care for Trailboss either. The burning rate is simply not correct for the uses we have. We need powders that go to peak pressures very quickly, and Trailboss fails to do this. I am a fan of Clays and Nitro 100 is even better. They both peak quickly and burn cleaner. In the 45LC this results in less blowback, although 200 gr bullets or more still are the best choices.

RBK

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy, I reload for three calipers 45 & 44-40 in big bore in the 45 I use three different bullets, 185,200 and a 250, trail boss 5.7grains, in the 44-40 I prefer a 200 grain with 5.7 grains of trail boss, in the 38 I use 158 grain with 3.7 of trail boss

But I'm not an expert, as long as it hits the target and goes clang I'm happy :rolleyes: ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Archived