SASS Wire Forum

Potato Soup

Aunt Jen

So now Irene is a tropical storm. (Hoping that actual damage is at a minimum)

We haven't had any rain around here since, like, months, and I find the images of New York getting rained on to be nostalgic. I miss the rain. I wish we had a good one here about once every 10 days or so.

Thinking about the possibility of being in a rain makes me want to cook some potato soup. Normally I'd want to make a stew or something, but this time I'm thinking of potato soup. Cook them down with some onions and celery in them. Add milk, butter, pepper.....while the rain pounds on the roof and the wind pushes against the house, and a little fire is going in the fireplace.

Do we have a fireplace in the saloon? Do we have a stove?

Oh, some good potatoe corn chowder with bit of bacon and some cheese sounds mighty good.

Cook stove in the back room that passes for a kitchen. Used to have a fireplace, not sure if it ever got rebuilt after last years 'tree fetch'

"Ah, I see it. Here is it. Alright. I'm going over to the general store and get some supplies. I'm gonna borrow your coat to keep some of the rain off—"

"No," Griz says. "I'll go get 'em for you."

"No," I say. "I LIKE the rain! I want to go. I'll be right back."

"Didn't you see 'Open Range' with Kevin Costner? The little doggie almost got swept away!" he says, concerned for my safety.

"This ain't there," I tell him. "The street's good." So I take his coat, drape it over my head, and head to the general store. Hardpan Curmudgeon still has it open, just closing up to come over, and I sweep in and gather up some potatoes, onions, and all my supplies. "Please put these on Griz' account," I say, certain he will.

I head back to the Saloon with Hardpan in tow and get started in the "kitchen."

Start you potato soup with several strips of bacon in the bottom of the soup pot.

Get them frying and grate a couple of carrots into the grease and bacon. Chop up an onion or two and add them to the pot. When the bacon is crisp, break it up and add enough flour(potato if'n you got it) to make a roux.

Add cubed up potatoes till you got a good pile. Add enough water to boil the potatoes. Add lots of salt and cracked black pepper.

When they's fork tender, add milk to the right consistancy then just before serving throw in a big handful of grated cheddar cheese.

Guaranteed to cure whatever ails you!

Emmm potato soup sounds good .... had meat loaf last night let my 12 yr old

help with mixen it up all but the meat i put it in last so she could help.

but home made potato soup sounds like another meal to me .... never tried

with bacon but put bacon in everything else ... sounds good might have to

try that......

been lookin at some property up by you dave well a little bit higher up

just above Georgetown on top of a mountian.... think its a little higher

than 12000 .... would have to be a summer place for camping or have to stock

up good cause i would get snowed in for a bit ...

Start you potato soup with several strips of bacon in the bottom of the soup pot.

Get them frying and grate a couple of carrots into the grease and bacon. Chop up an onion or two and add them to the pot. When the bacon is crisp, break it up and add enough flour(potato if'n you got it) to make a roux.

Add cubed up potatoes till you got a good pile. Add enough water to boil the potatoes. Add lots of salt and cracked black pepper.

When they's fork tender, add milk to the right consistancy then just before serving throw in a big handful of grated cheddar cheese.

Like you read my mind.

Now scoot! Git outta the kitchen and lemme cook! All you guys keep trying to sample thing before I even get it cooked.

Noz! put that spoon down!

Yup, that be quite a bit higher than I am. We have a cabin near Allenspark if you know where that is, kinda on the peak to peak highway between Nederland and Estes Park. Not today's standard of a cabin mind you, as we have no power, septic, or anything like that. Running water means you run up the hill to the little red hand pump at the well. If you want light at night there are kerosene lamps, and only heat is a wood stove.

Pretty much how we make it except don't use carrots. Gotta have the onions though. Can add some corn or creamed corn as well to add a little color and texture.

While the rain pounds the roof, the saloon is filled with the homey smells of a good, ole potato soup cooking on the stove. The fire in its belly crackles and spits, and the place is warm.

The soup is at a place where it needs to cook down some, so Aunt Jen takes a few moments to thread her way through the guys in the saloon. Over the years, every now and then, someone has pulled his side arm and fired a shot through the ceiling, and about every six feet there is a running dribble of rain water pouring down past cowboys who don't even notice onto the floor. But in time, she makes it to the front and looks out. The rain was hitting the windows hard. The hitching posts were empty—considerate cowboys left their horses over in the livery or at home. The street is soaked, but not flooded. Rain hits everything, splattering everywhere. The sign on a shop across the street sways violently in the wind, but you can't hear it squeak over the sound of the rain pounding everything.

Someone scoots the piano over about two feet, out from under a drip, and begins playing something nostalgic. Can't place the tune. Three of the cowboys begin singing to it.

Must be the virtual rain, feeling a bit melancholy today. Maybe I'll go out to the shop and load some ammo after church, doesn't always improve my mood, but at least gives me a feeling of accomplishing something.

Sun is shining here with a forecast high of 95, that rain sounds good :D

Grate? I always dice them, maybe about 1/4 inch.

But, yeah, cook up the bacon or salt pork(I usually chop it up), fry up your onions, add the cabbage and potatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add some flour for a roux, then vegetable or chicken stock, then add milk or cream. Top with some butter just before serving.

And don't forget the crusty still-warm bread.

I LOVE potato soup :wub::wub::wub:

I made some for a potluck a few years back when I lived in New England. There were people there that had never heard of potato soup!! but what can you expect from folks that eat fluffernutter sandwhiches.

Ok ... i give up .... what the heck is that???

a sandwhich made from marshmello fluff and peanut butter. :huh: I kid you not when we moved to Massachusettes in 2000 I read this on the school lunch menu. I had no idea what the heck it was.

YUMMMmmmmmmmm!!!

Thanks for the soup, Jen. Sounds perfect on a day like today. Need help in the kitchen? I can take care of the bread if you like....

I'm with you SDJ, gotta have the fresh from the oven extra sour sourdough with plenty of butter.

a sandwhich made from marshmello fluff and peanut butter. :huh: I kid you not when we moved to Massachusettes in 2000 I read this on the school lunch menu. I had no idea what the heck it was.

ahh i made them before ... didnt know what to call it but it was good ....

well or a peanut butter and honey sandwich also much better if ya got

honeycomb too ... eeem eeeemmm yum

dag nab it .... got my mouth a waterin .... im gonn have to go make me a mess in the kitchen now! :D

ahh i made them before ... didnt know what to call it but it was good ....

well or a peanut butter and honey sandwich also much better if ya got

honeycomb too ... eeem eeeemmm yum

Peanut butter and honey is my favorite!

YUMMMmmmmmmmm!!!

Thanks for the soup, Jen. Sounds perfect on a day like today. Need help in the kitchen? I can take care of the bread if you like....

I'm with you SDJ, gotta have the fresh from the oven extra sour sourdough with plenty of butter.

Hrs, that would be lovely. I'm site it will be delIcious.

And there's some garlic, there by the cupboard if u like and a little fresh churned butter by the stove.

That is perfect

We haven't had any rain around here since, like, months, and I find the images of New York getting rained on to be nostalgic. I miss the rain. I wish we had a good one here about once every 10 days or so.

Thinking about the possibility of being in a rain makes me want to cook some potato soup. Normally I'd want to make a stew or something, but this time I'm thinking of potato soup. Cook them down with some onions and celery in them. Add milk, butter, pepper.....while the rain pounds on the roof and the wind pushes against the house, and a little fire is going in the fireplace.

When I was a kid we couldn't afford much "fancy" food and ate a LOT of potato soup.

I could be in a swimming pool full of potato soup and starve to death before I'd let any get in my mouth. I feel the same about macaroni and cheese.....and rice crispies and Quaker puffed anydamnthing.....and peanut butter.

When I was a kid we couldn't afford much "fancy" food and ate a LOT of potato soup.

I could be in a swimming pool full of potato soup and starve to death before I'd let any get in my mouth. I feel the same about macaroni and cheese.....and rice crispies and Quaker puffed anydamnthing.....and peanut butter.

Hey Forty!! How's the 'lasses holdin' up?

I love Potato Soup. We have corn bread with ours and guess what, there never seems to be any leftovers. Thanks Aunt Jen, I needed that bowel. Is there any left?

Some folks heard about our little dinner and came over from the church, and ate n ate....

So while they were enjoying that, I made another whole batch.

And I checked with Hardpan, and now we have a box load of saltine crackers to go with 'em.

I hear it will rain through the night then end in the morning. Potato soup is good rainy day food, so tomorrow I think I'll roast some chickens. This hoard has to eat.

But tonight: if anyone goes away hungry, I guess it's cause u really needed TWO gallons to eat.

Doesn't potato soup make the place smell nice?

Hey Forty!! How's the 'lasses holdin' up?

What you sent is long since gone, but I found a little market in Claremont that carries it. The folks that own the place say they have a lot of older customers that buy it, so they always have a case in back.

Thanks for asking.

been lookin at some property up by you dave well a little bit higher up

just above Georgetown on top of a mountian.... think its a little higher

than 12000 .... would have to be a summer place for camping or have to stock

up good cause i would get snowed in for a bit ...

Twelve THOUSAND feet...? :o

Dang, Don, are ya gonna pack oxygen up there...? :huh:

What you sent is long since gone, but I found a little market in Claremont that carries it. The folks that own the place say they have a lot of older customers that buy it, so they always have a case in back.

Thanks for asking.

GOOD!

You know how to get me if you're in need.

And a healthy dollop Chablis. And as long as the bottle is open, might as well.....

Salud!

eGG

Potato Soup the BEST!!!! This will feed the whole POSEY

The first thing you want to do is fry up 1 pound of bacon. In my experience, any recipe that starts with frying a pound of bacon is going to be good. I like to cut the bacon into one inch strips before I fry it. If you want, you can fry it whole, then crumble it into the soup later. In the stock pot you will make your soup with, fry the bacon extra crispy, otherwise it will be like biting into a blob of fat in the soup.

Drain the grease and leave some bacony goodness in the pot. Put the bacon in the fridge for later

Then you want to peel 5 lbs of potatoes, and cube them int 1 inch chunks or so. I like to boil my soup for 2-3 hrs to (or all day in a slow cooker) thicken it. If you want any chunks of potato left, cut them at least 1". Then you want to cut up 2 large onions. 5 stalks of celery. 5 carrots. I like to slice them thin. Put them all in the pot and cover with water. Turn on the stove and bring to a rolling boil. Next, we add our seasonings. Then throw in 12 chicken bouillon cubes. 3 1/2 tsp salt. 2 tsp fresh ground pepper. A couple spoonfuls of minced garlic. 3 1/2 tsp basil leaves then add 1 tsp crushed red pepper. 5 tsp Franks Hot Sauce. (Trust me)

Stir all the ingredients in. I bring the soup to a rolling boil uncovered, then I turn it down a bit to just a steady low boil covered for 2-3 hrs or so. It does not have to be a heavy boil the whole time. Keep an eye on your soup and if it starts getting too thick, add some water right away and reduce it to a simmer. Clean up the kitchen and pour yourself a cold beer.

Get out your guns and go shoot for a while.

After boiling a few hrs it will thicken nicely. I like to thicken by boiling instead of adding flour. If you are short on time you could do that, but I dont think it tastes as good. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir in the bacon that you fried earlier. Add 3/4 stick of butter. Or, what the hell, throw it all in if you want. Stir in some whipping cream. I use the whole pint.

Let it simmer for a half hour or so, then enjoy your soup!

Archived