SASS Wire Forum

browning bl 22

Guest bumble

Guest bumble

ive got a browning bl 22 that my 2 boys use in the buckaroo class and its starting to misfire about 2 out of 10 rounds.it is making a dent in the end or the bullet case but not going off.i got told that it was probley the fireing pin,so ordered a new one and put it in but still have the same problem.just wondering if anyone had any ideas what the problem might be regards everyone Bumble.

Next time it misfires save the round and pull the bullet and check for uneven primer ring in the base,during the past two years we here in new mexico have had a lot of problems with 22 cal ammunition misfires, you can also rotate the round to another position for the pin to strike and if it goes off you can bet it is the primer ring. Remington and Winchester seem to be the worst for misfires, I have switched to FEDERAL AUTO MATCH AMMO, it is quite a bit more costly but in the long run is worth it.The regular federal bulk is better than rem or win but still has it share of misfires. Good luck. Chief

Remington bulk ammo sucks.

Check the breech face of the barrel. If the boys have been dry firing that Browning, it's likely that they've put a dent in the breech face with the firing pin. If that is happened, you don't have a sufficient backstop (anvil) for the cartridge head when the firing pin strikes the cartridge. Solution? Reface the breech.

Howdy

looked on the net last night fer yer Bumble and there did not seem to be a trend to probs with the BL-22 .. only one that showed up as misfires was a broken fireing pin due to dry fireing ..

I have seen the boys shooting as they shoot at the club i'm in the rifle in question started haveing the odd misfire say 1 in 200 which you would put down as ammo then started geting more and more last shoot i seen them maybe 1 in 10 ,but now Bumble is saying 2 or more per stage ..

talking to him last night i thought the mainspring had gone soft or hammer hanging up a bit on it's fall any one replaced a mainspring or is it a gunsmith job not a good ol' boys in the shed job

Manatee brings up a good point tho i wonder if a fired case shows the breach side of the rim being not flush IE a dint or chip missing

JD

Remington bulk ammo sucks.

Check the breech face of the barrel. If the boys have been dry firing that Browning, it's likely that they've put a dent in the breech face with the firing pin. If that is happened, you don't have a sufficient backstop (anvil) for the cartridge head when the firing pin strikes the cartridge. Solution? Reface the breech.

I defer to my Pal Manatee's much greater knowledge of gunsmithing than I wil ever have..But I'll go one step further;

I am a diehard Browning lover and own several.Of all the guns that Browning has produced in Modern Times, the BL 22,IMHO, is unequivocally the absolute worst 22 lever gun on the market.Do yourself a favor, and regardless of ammo, the BL 22's that I have owned and handled are just not reliable, prone to failures to feed and fire..There are far better lever 22's available that are far more reliable and way less finicky about the ammo it digests.I know this is not a practical viable solution, but i have spent many frustrating times in the field with a BL 22 before finally giving up on them, and certainly wouldn't spend a nickel to have a gunsmith work around a basic design issue with the BL 22

I realize your problem is Failure to Fire...Failure to feed is right behind it.Trade it or sell it and buy any Marlin,Winchester 9422 or Henry Goldenboy .22!(among others)

CCI and Federal tactical .22 are the 2 best .22 loads short of expensive, full on target .22's, again, IMO

OK..Flame away!;)

Howdy

If yer have no joy Bumble with the browning i got a 9422XTR being a bit of a safe queen scoped at the mo tho have to take it off and find a rear sight to knock in .i'll toss it in my bag going to the coast just in case .

only one thing Sixgun shorty , Manatee or anyone else with smithing skills how to fix the ejector prob on a 9422

JD

Archived