SASS Wire Forum

Yet Another You Make The Call

Captain Bill Burt

Folks, if ya go back and read the second line of the original post again, ------" but a failure to hit the target will not be counted as a miss". How much clearer can that be made!!! It doesn't even say that ya yave to shoot at it.

I can maybe agree on just letting it pass..

But can't agree on the above scenario...

the original OP never said it was only 4 shotgun...

but it also never said it was 4+ shotgun rounds...

makes the call completely different

Disagree, it is the same no call, no bonus

Refresher on origional question. Stage instructions did say 4+ shot gun shells on person.

1. Shooter expended 6 rounds without engaging pop-up. Could not fire at pop-up because he was out of ammo.

2. Stage instructions said clay is a bonus but not counted as a miss, so not hitting the clay could not be a miss.

Question is should a penalty be awarded for not engaging the clay. It was not covered by the stage instructions, so maybe a lesson learned by the stage writer.

It was fun listening to all the different answers which is what happen when the stage was shot

McKenzie

Hey McKenzie!

One of the comments I found interesting was that a person who was not particularly good at poppers (like me) could have gamed the stage by shooting the first two SG knockdowns then dumping two quick rounds into the pop up activator and ignoring the popper. That would probably save 2 or 3 seconds, almost as good as the bonus. I wouldn't like that approach, but based on the stage instructions it sounds like it would be legit.

Or would it be a SOG infraction?

Too much argumaent.

No miss, no bonus. Clean.

You could even shoot the activator then the two knockdowns and then the fourth shot as quick as you can. Who knows, maybe it will still be in the air.

You can shoot at targets as fast as you want and miss, and loose 5 seconds to the feller that did not miss a target.

Do not think of it as a bonus. Your time is 5 seconds better if you hit it than if you do not, just like any other target. Calling it a bonus is a scam, a mind game, a bamboozelment.

Cheers,

BJT

Hey McKenzie!

One of the comments I found interesting was that a person who was not particularly good at poppers (like me) could have gamed the stage by shooting the first two SG knockdowns then dumping two quick rounds into the pop up activator and ignoring the popper. That would probably save 2 or 3 seconds, almost as good as the bonus. I wouldn't like that approach, but based on the stage instructions it sounds like it would be legit.

Or would it be a SOG infraction?

Question is should a penalty be awarded for not engaging the clay. It was not covered by the stage instructions, so maybe a lesson learned by the stage writer.

McKenzie

Yep, it all depends how you write the stage instructions (4+). We still use the popper as a bonus, the folks like it. "A hit on the bird is a 5 second bonus, a miss is not a miss, must engage the bird, failure to engage is scored as a miss". Yes I know a bonus is not really a bonus once the first shooter hits it, but it allows for a clean match if you do miss. Like Marauder said,

"as you know a 5 second "bonus" like this is really just a mind game that lets folks have a clean shoot, even if they do not get the "bird." Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Captain, sorry that due to health reasons we've been limited to only one head to head category match at DHI this year. Regardless you are wrong in this situation. Maybe I'm one of the few that understands that given the lack of limitations, and shooting a double, you should always take the vomit target first when allowed. If you miss with your first shot you can then hit one of the single knockdowns, reload and go fully loaded for the vomit again, hit or miss you then pickup the other knockdown.

See you in September !

I hope your feeling better DWP! Between you, Bushshot Bill, and Tuco Forsyth it's hard to take first place Wrangler at Doc's. I hope to get another chance in September, but it will have to be a shoot through, I have two soccer games to coach that morning.

In terms of your knockdown strategy I'm not sure I follow you, either way if you miss you need an extra reload. You either do as you suggested in which case after the flyer you're empty with one knockdown still standing so an extra reload is needed, or you end up with one round left and the vomit and flyer still waiting, in which case you still need an extra reload, dump the live round and one empty, then reload two before engaging. What's the difference?

Dirt told me several months ago to always leave the vomit and flyer for last, so that's what I've been doing.

Captain, sorry that due to health reasons we've been limited to only one head to head category match at DHI this year. Regardless you are wrong in this situation. Maybe I'm one of the few that understands that given the lack of limitations, and shooting a double, you should always take the vomit target first when allowed. If you miss with your first shot you can then hit one of the single knockdowns, reload and go fully loaded for the vomit again, hit or miss you then pickup the other knockdown.

See you in September !

You guys miss SG targets? HAW HAW HAW. How can anyone miss SG targets? HAW HAW HAW. :ph34r:

Fillmore

A little off topic - if it is not optional, it is not a "bonus". If the target must be engaged, a miss by one shooter is a 5 second deficit to the shooter who didn't miss.

Clean - no P

CR

Archived