SASS Wire Forum

Outfitting A Buckaroo

Bart Solo

I took my 12 year old granddaughter to a monthly today. As usual I was on a terrific posse filled with friendly folks. Heck, the entire club went out of their way to support her. She just helped today, but she wants to shoot. I figure that I don't want to buy her guns because I think her parents should be responsible for that (and she wants something pink), but I want to make sure she gets the chance to shoot. Several of my pards came up to me during the match and volunteered guns and equipment so I really don't have to worry about short term, but I have been thinking that since I have three more grandkids coming along behind her, I might want to acquire the guns and leather needed to equip a buckaroo.

Questions:

Is the Ruger Single Six the only single action 22 worth considering? How much do they cost?

The lowest cost new lever gun I have found is the Henry. Is it up to the task of shooting cowboy? I know about the Browning and Marlin (both great guns, but both much more expensive.)

I have a 12 gauge Stoeger and a 97 both with a good pads. I have heard that Featherlites, or the Remington equivalent actually kick less than a 410. Is that true?

Shouldn't I have a shotgun that fits a youngster's frame?

What should I do about leather for a youngster who is still growing?

The little Henry rifles work very well and are not expensive. And a lot of fun to shoot.

The shotgun fit will be very important and it is best if you reload for your little frames. The problem is that the more the gun weighs, the less it recoils but you have to be able to handle the extra weight!

97's kick less than most SxS, but they have to like shooting them. So tis best to see if you can borrow from another buckaroo or buckarette to see preferences.

Get good holsters. Talk with the leather maker about a belt and consider a "billet" that can be used to expand the belt later - or buy a larger belt and use the same holsters.

The Single six are great for the price, but not cheap. If she is not too young, she may be able to handle a light loaded 38 just fine. The 105 and even 125 grain bullets at 600 feet per second or so do not recoil much at all.

The cheaper Rough Riders MAY work, but do not always hold up well, but some do...

I have a grandson just turned 9 and small for his age. I started him shooting my ruger single six 22. He was having more problum cocking the 22 than he was my P models.The P models were to heavy for him .I found a pair of Cimarron lightnings in 38s with 5 1/2" barrels and he shoot them really well.I got him a Henry and cut the stock.Found a baikal 410 worked on by Johnny Meadows,action.stock,recoil pad,cut the barrels and put a nice bead, he has shot my baikal 12ga. but he like the 410 better ,not because of recoil but the 410 is slicker and easier for him to use.His sass name is Kid Conner.Got him some nice action work done on the pistols by Cody,shotgun by Johnny Meadows,the henry is nice out of the box.The 38s were as cheap as rugers 22.Will get some leathers that are made for his lightnings as soon as I can get the money together.

Just started my 7 year year old daughter who is ~35#. Her hands were too small for std grips so I used Cimarron Lightening .32s 3.5" bbls. and a Cimarron 1873 trapper in .45 (bigger hole=less weight and recoil is nothing), and a solid frame Winchester 97 (7/8 oz w/ ~10.5 gr Red Dot=725fps). This is working like a champ for us. I figured .22s would be wasted $$ for this game as I would be into the above in short order. All of her gear is completely mainstream category legal so I only have to buy stocks and maybe Colts when she is ready for standard size grips. JMHO, but the Lightenings that I have built for people in the past have seemed to accentuate recoil as the lighter frame and smaller gun did not counter it as well but if it works for someone I wouldn't change! :)

HW

HOwdy Bart

I have a henry 22 I use for practice and love it. Paid $80 for it from a local Pard that used it for side matches but wasn't using it enough.

I have one Ruger Single Six and would like to have another also for practice.

The point: If you do get these guns for your Grandkids they will both give them years of service and when they have grown out of them you can use them for practice. It's way cheaper even than reloading the 38''s.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Good thought about letting her shoot 38 revolvers. The Ruger single action 22s are just about as expensive as the NMVs I shoot. I have heard a lot of good things about the Henry for this purpose. I am going to talk to my leather guy in the next few days.

I notice that Chiapa has 22 single actions for less than $200. They are sold by Legacy under then name PUMA 1873. Does anybody have experience with them. Bricks of 22 are pretty cheap and 22s might be better training tools.

Edit I just saw waimea's comment after posting. Good thoughts.

Heritage Rough Riders for a pair are cheaper than one Ruger Bearcat. My grandson really liked his and they resell quickly to other Buckaroos.

Henrys are great and the steel ones are cheaper than the brass.

Look around for something to borrow so she can try the guns first. I actually wish I had kept one of the Rough Riders for plinking.

Good thought about letting her shoot 38 revolvers. The Ruger single action 22s are just about as expensive as the NMVs I shoot.

You might want to check used. I bought my Ruger off Gunbroker and paid $340 for it. You can get them in good condition around $300.

At 12 this one won't be a Buckerette very long so the 22's would be only good if the younger ones are going to be interested or you use them for practice.

Pretty tough choice for you.

Ride easy

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Heritage makes .32 H&R mags that could easily be loaded with S&S longs (98-grains at around 750 fps). MSRP is $310.

I like the idea of a single-shot H&R shotgun with a 22" barrel and a reduced stock. This can be done for a total of $150 or less, leaving more money to spend on a rifle.

We have been loaning our Bearcats and a Marlin rifle to a 9 year old little girl so she can shoot with us.

They had been used for fun plinking and when I first started to work on shooting gunfighter, the Bearcats came in handy!

She had tried a few other pistols in .32 and .38 and was fine with the recoil but her hands were just too small to keep a proper grip on the guns. She had to keep moving her left and back and forth from supporting the trigger guard to cocking the gun. She is skipping shotgun for now, her Dad will work that in later. (Our local club is fine with letting a little one just starting out ease into it this way.) I believe he is going to go 12 ga. double with stock cut down and a real skimpy BP load. Recoil will be minimal and the kids love the smoke! The load can be increased over time until a transition to smokeless is made or we get us another little Soot Sister :rolleyes:

It's a lot of money to outfit a little one and then get bigger guns later, which is why we are loaning ours to the darling girl child that wants to shoot with her Daddy. That said, the Bearcats (new or used) are great guns for very small kids and will provide lots of years of service if you have other little ones coming along behind to hand them down to. The Marlin rifle is almost as old as I am and was picked up at a gun show for less than $200 several years ago. I can plink a 5 inch square target at 25 yards all day long, so it's got plenty of life left in it for cowboy shooting!

Archived